2017 Offseason Trade Rumors

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wasn't quite sure where else to put this and thought as the draft gets closer we'll see more rumors regarding our players and picks. I saw a few trade rumors regarding the Suns today and thought I'd share them.

One that doesn't seem likely at all but is a little interesting is that Detroit is interested in Bledsoe, they'd want to swap Reggie Jackson for him. That doesn't make sense for the Suns, Jackson has 3 more years on his contract at $17 million per season while Bledsoe only has 2 years at $14 million per. I know Jackson is younger but they're similar players in style, both are injury prone, but I can't see Jackson being an improvement over Bledsoe, now or for the duration of their contracts. Phoenix & McD have worked 2 salary dumps with Detroit, Tolliver in 2014 and the Marcus Morris trades during the 2015 offseason. McD has traded with Washington a few times also. He clearly has relationships with certain executives on other teams.

http://us.blastingnews.com/sports/2...soe-deal-andre-drummond-future-001673949.html

Here is another link from the deadline this last season asking about Bledsoe to the Pistons trade, questioning if he'd make them a playoff team. That is tied to a Zach Lowe article about Bledsoe from February also. In it they mention that Detroit would need to add something to sweet the pot outside of just Jackson. They have the #12 pick in the draft this year but I still wouldn't trade Bledsoe for Jackson and that pick. Maybe a Bledsoe for Drummond trade? I'd consider that, especially if we're planning to take a PG in the draft. Jackson played with Westbrook in OKC, I'd think he could play with Bledsoe although that might not be ideal for them.

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2017/...-no-for-the-detroit-pistonsnba-trade-deadline

The Pistons trade could have some basis in reality as McD said there was a huge blockbuster deal offered at the deadline in a 3 for 3 swap from an Eastern Conference team. Valley of the Sun blog broke down that is was the Pistons looking to move Drummond, Jackson, and Caldwell-Pope for Bledsoe, Booker, and Chandler. Obviously Phoenix wouldn't want to include Booker in that deal.

http://valleyofthesuns.com/2017/02/24/rumor-suns-made-huge-trade/

http://arizonasports.com/story/1033...but-big-trade-would-be-more-likely-in-summer/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is a different move, apparently the Mavericks would consider moving their #9 pick for an established point guard, Kemba Walker and Ricky Rubio are mentioned targets but I think Bledsoe might work in a deal like that. I'm not sure if I'd pull the trigger on a straight trade like that but maybe if more assets were involved. Cuban has said that the Mavericks aren't rebuilding through the draft a few times and I think their pick might be the most available lottery pick available at #9.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/da...s/2017/05/01/take-mavericks-trade-9-nba-draft

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And of course the regular Knight theories are out there, that he's on the trading block. Doug Haller, who is the beat writer for the Republic, said it's possible the Suns pick up a 3rd Point Guard in the draft, which I think is highly unlikely unless there is a trade in the works for Bledsoe. He breaks down the top PG prospects here.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...nix-suns-lonzo-ball-markelle-fultz/307313001/

This article sums up how we'd most likely trade Bledsoe if we draft a PG and suggest that we might find a home for Knight in Philadelphia. If we offered him up for next to nothing to a team like Philly or Brooklyn, I think they'd take the shot. Brooklyn perhaps more so because they don't have any draft picks or hope really on the horizon but Knight is only 25 and has had a decent career until recently.

http://us.blastingnews.com/sports/2...ad-eric-bledsoe-brandon-knight-001675955.html

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good posts! Jackson doesn't interest me in the slightest, but the Mavericks pick is an interesting starting point. Also, I would love to get rid of Knight without giving up assets.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And of course the regular Knight theories are out there, that he's on the trading block. Doug Haller, who is the beat writer for the Republic, said it's possible the Suns pick up a 3rd Point Guard in the draft, which I think is highly unlikely unless there is a trade in the works for Bledsoe. He breaks down the top PG prospects here.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...nix-suns-lonzo-ball-markelle-fultz/307313001/

This article sums up how we'd most likely trade Bledsoe if we draft a PG and suggest that we might find a home for Knight in Philadelphia. If we offered him up for next to nothing to a team like Philly or Brooklyn, I think they'd take the shot. Brooklyn perhaps more so because they don't have any draft picks or hope really on the horizon but Knight is only 25 and has had a decent career until recently.

http://us.blastingnews.com/sports/2...ad-eric-bledsoe-brandon-knight-001675955.html

Now that you mention it Brooklyn would be a good trading partner to unload Knight. They could get Knight for free basically and take a chance on his upside. They need to gamble and take some chances at this point IMO.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good posts! Jackson doesn't interest me in the slightest, but the Mavericks pick is an interesting starting point. Also, I would love to get rid of Knight without giving up assets.

I don't want Reggie Jackson, that's taking a step sideways but if they want Bledsoe then I'd try to get Drummond for Bledsoe and Chandler. If they're set on moving Jackson with Drummond in a deal that nets them Bledsoe then I'd try to get a 3rd team involved to take Jackson. Maybe that is where Dallas can slide in with their #9 pick.

Reggie Jackson to Dallas
Bledsoe & Chandler to Detroit
Drummond and #9 to Phoenix

Salaries would make it a little tricky to pull off but Barbosa or Dudley could be included to make it work. Bledsoe & Chandler for Jackson & Drummond doesn't work because Drummond's extension kicks in but if we include Barbosa it would, who is on a team option for $4 million this upcoming season. Of course if we're sending Jackson to Dallas then our incoming salary wouldn't be an issue but we might have to take a contract on from Dallas. Dirk's contract for this next season would need to be figured out for Dallas to make room without parting with anyone for salary purposes.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=kudtw4v

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here is a different move, apparently the Mavericks would consider moving their #9 pick for an established point guard, Kemba Walker and Ricky Rubio are mentioned targets but I think Bledsoe might work in a deal like that. I'm not sure if I'd pull the trigger on a straight trade like that but maybe if more assets were involved. Cuban has said that the Mavericks aren't rebuilding through the draft a few times and I think their pick might be the most available lottery pick available at #9.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/da...s/2017/05/01/take-mavericks-trade-9-nba-draft

I agree with this. A Bledsoe deal for #9 pick is close to what we want but not quite there...but it's close!

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't want Reggie Jackson, that's taking a step sideways but if they want Bledsoe then I'd try to get Drummond for Bledsoe and Chandler. If they're set on moving Jackson with Drummond in a deal that nets them Bledsoe then I'd try to get a 3rd team involved to take Jackson. Maybe that is where Dallas can slide in with their #9 pick.

Reggie Jackson to Dallas

Salaries would make it a little tricky to pull off but Barbosa or Dudley could be included to make it work. Bledsoe & Chandler for Jackson & Drummond doesn't work because Drummond's extension kicks in but if we include Barbosa it would, who is on a team option for $4 million this upcoming season. Of course if we're sending Jackson to Dallas then our incoming salary wouldn't be an issue but we might have to take a contract on from Dallas. Dirk's contract for this next season would need to be figured out for Dallas to make room without parting with anyone for salary purposes.

Not sure if Dallas would want Jackson for #9 or if Bledsoe and Chandler would be enough to get Drummond, but I would be thrilled if we could pull that off.

Edit: That would have Detroit giving up Jackson and Drummond. I think they would ask for a lot more. It seems like they even asked for Booker. I sure hope we weren't considering that!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now that you mention it Brooklyn would be a good trading partner to unload Knight. They could get Knight for free basically and take a chance on his upside. They need to gamble and take some chances at this point IMO.

I always forget about Brooklyn because it's like they aren't a real NBA team. They're stuck in tank mode but won't get anything from tanking until 2019 since Boston owns all of their picks. Their roster is hot garbage and only Brook Lopez and Jeremy Lin are making more than $10 million annually, they have the cap room and won't be able to sign anyone better than Knight, which is kind of sad.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe not a rumor per se but I read that Toronto may be considering blowing things up, and if so, they'd be letting Serge Ibaka walk as a free agent.

Would he be someone to look at? I've always liked him as a player, but I don't know that he 'fits' anywhere on our roster.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like him too, but I don't think he's a fit for us, nor are we a fit for him.

We'd need him to play primarily center, and the age fit isn't ideal.

Just as importantly, I doubt he wants to go from Orlando to another young building team.

That said, he is one of the few players that can stretch the floor on offense and protect the rim as well, which makes him at the very least intriguing.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Reggie Jackson to Dallas

That's a reasonable twist. I would trade Bledsoe and Chandler for Drummond and #9. Drummond has his limitations and he has shown zero improvement this season but he is younger and healthier than Bledsoe.

I doubt that DET and DAL would do this deal, though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Iggy, but this makes no sense.

Yeah he' actually be a huge disappointment for us, even more so than Leandro has been. Both of them could help a good team but we need more than either of them have left in the tank.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think iggy would be brought in for much more than a solid veteran presence to teach and calm a young team in the floor. Make sure they understand the finer smaller points of winning basketball. But I'm uncertain why he's want to do that with a young team when contenders will likely still be beckoning.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is the description of the writer:

Bruno Manrique
WRITER
Bruno Manrique is a sports writer from San Francisco, CA. He's a former columnist for Bleacher Report and statistician for several pro sports teams in the Bay Area. He's covered a variety of sports including basketball, soccer, softball and boxing. His favorite player is Allen Iverson and he won't go a day without a cup of coffee.

Considering how much McD DOESN'T give away what he is thinking--I'm guessing this guy looked at the fact that we could possibly use a vet SF and it's Arizona (duh) and put 2-and-2 together. I'm sure the story has little to no merit.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I could see interest in Iggy if we do not take a wing in the draft. But if we get Jackson/Tatum/Isaac then there's no need for Iggy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the description of the writer:

Considering how much McD DOESN'T give away what he is thinking--I'm guessing this guy looked at the fact that we could possibly use a vet SF and it's Arizona (duh) and put 2-and-2 together. I'm sure the story has little to no merit.

I suspect you're right. Often times stories like this come from agents who are trying to gain a negotiation edge or create a market for their clients.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd actually be ok with Iggy if it was a sign and trade for Chandler, similar money and maybe 2-3 years. Let him fill the veteran leader role. I think he'd fit better with the younger guys. Of course that leaves us with a Center, with Len and Williams being FA's, but I'm ok with shopping for someone on the cheap and letting Bender play backup.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns claim they're not shopping Bledsoe but the Suns claim otherwise, which isn't surprising because it could hurt his trade value and McD's front office isn't known for leaks.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-who-could-be-traded-around-the-nba-draft/

Eric Bledsoe, Phoenix
It would not be draft season if Suns guard Eric Bledsoe’s name was not being kicked around in trade circles.

The prevailing thought around the NBA is that the Suns are going to draft another high profile young guy and Bledsoe likely gets marginalized out of the forward-looking plan.

Suns sources continue to deny that there is a lot of interest in moving Bledsoe, but eventually, the team has to embrace their youth, which is why so many opposing teams believe Bledsoe can be had.

Bledsoe has two more years and roughly $29.5 million left on his deal, and like Rubio, would be tough to trade at the draft without taking back a sizable bundle of salaries.

It’s not out of the question that Bledsoe gets moved, especially if can be part of a deal to move fellow guard Brandon Knight. Such a deal becomes more practical in July than around the draft, however, as the draft gets closer, Bledsoe seems to be a name worth watching.