2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that's they key- you have to watch HIM. Don't watch the game, don't watch anyone else. Watch HIM. Record the game, watch the game, then go back and watch Bender for a while. He'll make some mistakes, but for the most part, his fundamentals are incredibly strong for someone who just turned 20.

The above seems to be the very definition of trying really hard to see something.

If you have to record and watch the game and just watch HIM specifically to notice him do ANYTHING seems like if you do, it’s a case of confirmation bias. You’re seeing something because you WANT to see something.

I also wouldn’t compare him to Zarko. With Zarko I saw flashes almost every game before he got Fortson’d. And not the kind of flashes that I had to record the game and key only on him... or ones that came every couple games. What a shame it was that kid didn’t have it in him because he was super talented.

As far as my comparison to Len, I wasn’t comparing them as players.. I was comparing their development (or lack thereof) while people here strained as much as possible to see any, citing the same things: size you can’t teach, moves big for his size, only 20 years old.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The lack of physicality and aggressiveness worries me the most about Bender. So far he has not shown the natural willingness to mix it up inside. His approach to the game is rather laid back. Actually I liked Zarko's game pre-injury to that of Bender.

I'm not writing Bender off... far from it, but I'd like to see him play more aggressive. I'm not sure aggressiveness can be coached. My hope rests with the fact that he is not fully physically developed, young and still learning how to play the game.

I don't think you can teach aggressiveness but I think part of the issue with Bender is he's still getting used to his body and learning what he can do. I believe it's a matter of him becoming comfortable in his own shoes, in regards to his size, and learning how to use that to help him. He's got a decent shot and if anyone watched the Summer League they saw he can also be a playmaker. I think he needs a coach to work with him on his game and help him find his stride. The Suns had a dedicated assistant to help develop Barbosa back in the day, I think Bender warrants something similar, especially since he was a high lottery pick. If they paid for that for a late 1st rounder like Leandro then they should do the same for someone taken 4th overall. Who that would be, I don't know. A coach like D'Antoni I think would be able to get something out him though. Maybe bringing in a former player to work with him though would help, someone like Grant Hill, maybe? He's the only person I can think of with Suns ties who has a skill set similar to that that Bender has. Size of a forward, handles of a guard, decent shooting stroke, and knows where to be at defensively. In no way am I saying Bender is like Grant Hill or will be like Grant Hill, I think Hill would make for an ideal coach for him though.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of trying to bring in Grant Hill as an assistant/player development coach. At least try because he definitely has the BB-IQ that should make for a very good coach one day. He'd also help someone like Josh Jackson if he were on the Suns staff.

Last edited:

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's getting harder and harder to consider Trae Young anything but a top prospect. Going up against Landry Shamet and the Wichita State Shockers and he has 21 points and seven assists...at the half!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can teach aggressiveness but I think part of the issue with Bender is he's still getting used to his body and learning what he can do. I believe it's a matter of him becoming comfortable in his own shoes, in regards to his size, and learning how to use that to help him. He's got a decent shot and if anyone watched the Summer League they saw he can also be a playmaker. I think he needs a coach to work with him on his game and help him find his stride. The Suns had a dedicated assistant to help develop Barbosa back in the day, I think Bender warrants something similar, especially since he was a high lottery pick. If they paid for that for a late 1st rounder like Leandro then they should do the same for someone taken 4th overall. Who that would be, I don't know. A coach like D'Antoni I think would be able to get something out him though. Maybe bringing in a former player to work with him though would help, someone like Grant Hill, maybe? He's the only person I can think of with Suns ties who has a skill set similar to that that Bender has. Size of a forward, handles of a guard, decent shooting stroke, and knows where to be at defensively. In no way am I saying Bender is like Grant Hill or will be like Grant Hill, I think Hill would make for an ideal coach for him though.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of trying to bring in Grant Hill as an assistant/player development coach. At least try because he definitely has the BB-IQ that he could be a very good coach one day. He'd also help someone like Josh Jackson if he were on the Suns staff.

I'm not sure what Grant Hill is doing these days but it is a great thought.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree that Bender moves decently well for someone his size, but he has no offensive skills, so he is going to look out of place in the offense no matter how he is used. It's like trying to figure out where in the meal to serve the Taco Bell chalupa during a $300/plate reception.
Are we watching the same thing? He has a very nice shot. He is a very good passer. But they put him out in the corner. A player with his skills should be at the top of the key.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's getting harder and harder to consider Trae Young anything but a top prospect. Going up against Landry Shamet and the Wichita State Shockers and he has 21 points and seven assists...at the half!
Yeah. I keep looking at that and then remembering that I got duped by Jimmer and Buddy Hield. They looked all-world in college too. I want to think that Trae is a potential answer, but my past experiences cause me doubt.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we watching the same thing? He has a very nice shot. He is a very good passer. But they put him out in the corner. A player with his skills should be at the top of the key.

I've said this before as well. He should play a role similar to Alvin Adams, as a high post center.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. He has so many skills that if an NBA team takes away one thing he will be able to adapt.

I think the video @JCSunsfan posted shows he can do just that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my first glimpse of Young on my flight just now. He was just TEARING APART Witchita.

What are the knocks on this guy? He looks awesome e

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah. I keep looking at that and then remembering that I got duped by Jimmer and Buddy Hield. They looked all-world in college too. I want to think that Trae is a potential answer, but my past experiences cause me doubt.

Jimmer and Buddy weren't particularly good as Freshmen, fwiw, and neither ever came close to producing the assist numbers Young has.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jimmer & Buddy were scoring guards, Jimmer was a PG by default but Young actually possesses creativity and passing ability in addition to shooting ability.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I've said this before as well. He should play a role similar to Alvin Adams, as a high post center.
There was no 3-point shot at the time. Alvan Adams played offense like a 2-Guard, camped out 12-15 feet from the basket.

There were quite a few Centers in those days who played offense far out. Bob McAdoo, who won three scoring titles, but didn't lead the Buffalo Braves to very much. And Jerry Lucas, who was Willis Reed's backup on the Knicks getting limited time. And James Edwards playing way outside on the Suns.

As you all know, I'd rather see a Center who can pick & roll on offense rather than hang out 23 feet from the basket.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Synergy Sports Tech

@SynergySST

Oklahoma point guard Trae Young is creating, assisting, or scoring 64 points per game so far this season. That's above the scoring average of 16 Division I teams.

That is impressive. I saw some of his highlight videos and he looks good but that stat makes me want to look for Oklahoma games in the future. Playmaking like that can't be taught.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was no 3-point shot at the time. Alvan Adams played offense like a 2-Guard, camped out 12-15 feet from the basket.

There were quite a few Centers in those days who played offense far out. Bob McAdoo, who won three scoring titles, but didn't lead the Buffalo Braves to very much. And Jerry Lucas, who was Willis Reed's backup on the Knicks getting limited time. And James Edwards playing way outside on the Suns.

As you all know, I'd rather see a Center who can pick & roll on offense rather than hang out 23 feet from the basket.

I'm not looking for a high post center but if this is where Bender can be effective, the Suns need to look at it. I think Bender is a better shooter from the top of the key than other places on the court and he has passing skills. He used to play point guard.

Alvin played a similar role for the Suns when they used his shooting and passing ability to run their offense. The NBA seems to be go back to this style of play where the center needs to be able to shoot from outside.

All I'm saying is the Suns need to find an offense that better utilizes the skills of the players they have.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Trae Young will score lots of points on lots of shots at the next level. He doesn't have the handles or lightening quick feet that Steph had so he won't be nearly as electrifying but if he continues to make progress as a passer he could be a franchise PG.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a high post center but if this is where Bender can be effective, the Suns need to look at it. I think Bender is a better shooter from the top of the key than other places on the court and he has passing skills. He used to play point guard.

Alvin played a similar role for the Suns when they used his shooting and passing ability to run their offense. The NBA seems to be go back to this style of play where the center needs to be able to shoot from outside.

All I'm saying is the Suns need to find an offense that better utilizes the skills of the players they have.
And to get the players they need to be a complete team as the youngsters grow.

Rebounding is one of the keys. The only Center who has come close to some opponents on occasion has been Len (this year), but the rest of his game is pathetic. He has never fought for rebounds to this extent until this, his contract year. And likely won't after he gets a contract.

BTW, Alvan Adams averaged 14 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists. Is that our hope for Bender as a Center Another decade of a 'pretty' team. 'Hoping to compete in the playoffs when the refs lose their whistles? That is what I've meant about the Suns not setting a plan to extend through Sarver's years. Each season a new beginning hoping that we luck out in the draft and something falls into place. Between Server and his GM's, the blind leading the blind.

You say that Bender is a better shooter from the top of the key, has passing skills and used to play Point Guard. Did he used to play Center? If so, like a Center or like a Point Guard?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Rebounding is one of the keys. The only Center who has come close to some opponents on occasion has been Len (this year), but the rest of his game is pathetic. He has never fought for rebounds to this extent until this, his contract year. And likely won't after he gets a contract.

BTW, Alvan Adams averaged 14 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists. Is that our hope for Bender as a Center Another decade of a 'pretty' team. 'Hoping to compete in the playoffs when the refs lose their whistles? That is what I've meant about the Suns not setting a plan to extend through Sarver's years. Each season a new beginning hoping that we luck out in the draft and something falls into place. Between Server and his GM's, the blind leading the blind.

You say that Bender is a better shooter from the top of the key, has passing skills and used to play Point Guard. Did he used to play Center? If so, like a Center or like a Point Guard?

Bender hasn't played Center, people project he'll be a Center because of his size and the Suns need for one but that's wishful thinking that every player will fall into position so each one can develop without any overlap. Bender won't be a Center in the NBA, even with the changes to the position over the last few years. He's a forward, period. He might end up being a point forward but I doubt he'll ever be an inside presence offensively or a good rebounder but he does have skill, as displayed in tonights game against the Wolves.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Bender is a forward. PF mostly but also sf at times. Not a center.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I should never have compared Bender to Adams although they do have similar skills except for perhaps rebounding. However, Adams entered the NBA at 21. Bender is now only 20. Bender could still develop into a center like Porzingis but hopefully more like a PF such as Markkanen.

I believe Adams played center out of need. Let's hope Bender is not forced into such a role.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I should never have compared Bender to Adams although they do have similar skills except for perhaps rebounding. However, Adams entered the NBA at 21. Bender is now only 20. Bender could still develop into a center like Porzingis but hopefully more like a PF such as Markkanen.

I believe Adams played center out of need. Let's hope Bender is not forced into such a role.

I can see the comparison, granted I didn't watch Adams play live and have only see highlight films for the most part as well as fan descriptions but the NBA was totally different in that time, without the 3 pointer mainly. I can see them playing similar styles but Adams wouldn't have played Center for any team but the Suns. Like has been said though, Bender isn't a Center. Even if they try playing him as one, he doesn't fit that description. Not even in today's "position-less" style of basketball.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It was a different era. Adams would have been a forward today.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton has the potential to be a franchise center.

Marvin Bagley is a sure thing.

Bomba, Young, Sexton, and Porter Jr. are all exciting prospects.

But Luka Doncic is pure magic.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton has the potential to be a franchise center.

Marvin Bagley is a sure thing.

Bomba, Young, Sexton, and Porter Jr. are all exciting prospects.

But Luka Doncic is pure magic.

There is a good article in the Washington post about him. See link below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...cics-coming-out-party/?utm_term=.f772bb1eb371

Although there are questions about his athletic ability, I couldn't help but think about Steve Nash watching him play.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the athletic concerns are a little overblown. He's not an elite run-jump athlete (though still adequate), but his balance and coordination are off-the-charts, and he has great size.