2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Haunting

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can't see using Young, Doncic, and Booker on the floor at the same time, especially if we still have Jackson and TJ.

However. If Len continues his quality play and we resign him, Bagley might be an interesting choice with Young. I would have no problem drafting a replacement for Chriss.

Young, Booker and Doncic is pretty much the perfect case scenario. Which coach would not want to use players like Young, Booker and Doncic at the same time.

Doncic's best position is SG or SF. Why would you want to waste him at PG where the depth of quality players is by far the biggest.

That is a much better combination than anything you could build with Warren or Jackson. Three guys that can shoot and make plays.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to get at least one of these two players, Young or Doncic but the Suns need another big man, probably a C/F in this draft if they do not address it with their first pick.

This is where it gets a bit fuzzy for me. Who do the Suns draft with the Miami pick if the top big men are off the board.

Haunting

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
the Suns do not need another raw prospect big man

if anything we need a big man in free agency.

drafting 7 footers in the lottery that are not sure-fire franchise players, like Bamba for example, is the #1 way to draft a bust.

Suns pick Trae Young

Miami pick Brandon McCoy, Mohammed Bamba or a Wing (Knox, Bridges, Bridges)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

drafting 7 footers in the lottery that are not sure-fire franchise players, like Bamba for example, is the #1 way to draft a bust.

Suns pick Trae Young

I agree. The Suns need to hit with their first round draft picks in this draft.

Center is a concern of mind if the Suns do not keep Len. The Suns can put a lot of talented smalls on the court but they need someone to anchor the defense. I want the Suns to be more than a finesse team when the need arises.

Nurkic could be an option in free agency but the Trailblazers will want to keep him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The first pick the Suns make in this draft needs to be plug and play. The timeline is shorter now.

BTW. I am amazed at how much pushing off Trae Young gets away with. He pushes or hooks with his left hand constantly. That's an offensive foul in the NBA. I wonder how much that helps him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Suns pick Trae Young

I get what you're saying but the only young UFA big slated to hit the market of note is Favors and he isn't exactly having a killer season in a contract year which concerns me. Alot of the other FA bigs are going to be RFA. I would consider a trade for a good young PF, I wonder if ORL would be willing to deal Gordon.

Lottery bigs are a gamble but NYN & CHI got keepers in Porzingis & Markkanen. Instead of griping about having Jackson instead of Tatum (which was not possible since he went one pick ahead of PHX), maybe we should be complaining about passing up Markkanen who we all had a chance to see up close with him at UA and he is having a much better rookie year than Jackson. I think Jackson will be good in time, hopefully he doesn't regress like Chriss.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Are there teams that would pass on Young because they already have a young pgof? Teams will consider need to a certain extent, with so many talented players available.

1. Atlanta. Has Schroder, but I do not think that would keep them from drafting Young.
2. Dallas. They have Smith, who they are really high on. Hopefully he really looks good for them. They should take a big man with Dirk coming to the end.
3. Memphis. Mike Conley is 30 years old. Heck yeah they would take Young.
4. Chicago. Neither of their young pg's should keep them from taking Young if he is clearly the BPA.
5. Sacramento. Nah. They would have to trade Fox. Don't see it.
6. Orlando. Sure.
7. Philly. Why not take him? But they could use a star wing.

So, I only see two teams in the top 7 who might pass on Young because they already have a pg.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So. Are there teams that would pass on Young because they already have a young pgof? Teams will consider need to a certain extent, with so many talented players available.

1. Atlanta. Has Schroder, but I do not think that would keep them from drafting Young.
2. Dallas. They have Smith, who they are really high on. Hopefully he really looks good for them. They should take a big man with Dirk coming to the end.
3. Memphis. Mike Conley is 30 years old. Heck yeah they would take Young.
4. Chicago. Neither of their young pg's should keep them from taking Young if he is clearly the BPA.
5. Sacramento. Nah. They would have to trade Fox. Don't see it.
6. Orlando. Sure.
7. Philly. Why not take him? But they could use a star wing.

So, I only see two teams in the top 7 who might pass on Young because they already have a pg.

I can see three big men going in the top five picks. Maybe the Suns can do a trade like the 76ers did in the 2017 draft and move up to the top pick or perhaps the 3rd pick if Young slides. Also Domcic would be a nice consolation prize.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I will go on record and state Trae Young is not going #1.
All the better for us, since we all know we'll never see the #1 pick no matter how many ping pong balls we have. (I swear, if we had the rights to every ball except one, that one would be chosen first.)

It's still early, but Trae's left handed passing is Nash-like. I love how he's always looking to set up his team mates.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can see three big men going in the top five picks. Maybe the Suns can do a trade like the 76ers did in the 2017 draft and move up to the top pick or perhaps the 3rd pick if Young slides. Also Domcic would be a nice consolation prize.

Luka Doncic is no team's consolation prize! :)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will go on record and state Trae Young is not going #1.
I will go on record he goes in Top 5, maybe after Bagley & Ayton and before Bamba. Remember, Curry didn't get noticed until the NCAA tournament, Young is now on the national radar so teams will be scouting him closely over the next three months and will jump at the chance to take the potential second coming of Steph Curry.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Err. OK. I think you probably will get near 100% agreement with you on that one--especially since Trae's mom does not post here.
In my defense Mainstreet, in one post before mine, talked about trading up to the #1 pick or #3 “if he slides” to grab young.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Isn’t curry 3 inches taller than young? Young may have similar skills, but that’s a big difference in and of itself.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Young will go before Doncic unless it's Phoenix who selects him. They're the only team that will be in the top 5 that really needs a PG. Atlanta has Schroeder, Dallas just selected Dennis Smith Jr, Memphis has Conley, Orlando has Elfrid Payton, Chicago has a bunch of PG prospects. If Memphis selects before Phoenix though they might take him and look to trade Conley. It makes no sense for them to pay Conley and Gasol while rebuilding, especially when they can add some pieces to their rebuild by trading them off. They'll probably try and attach Chandler Parson's deal to one of them though, Gasol most likely since he has more value.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think Young will go before Doncic unless it's Phoenix who selects him. They're the only team that will be in the top 5 that really needs a PG. Atlanta has Schroeder, Dallas just selected Dennis Smith Jr, Memphis has Conley, Orlando has Elfrid Payton, Chicago has a bunch of PG prospects. If Memphis selects before Phoenix though they might take him and look to trade Conley. It makes no sense for them to pay Conley and Gasol while rebuilding, especially when they can add some pieces to their rebuild by trading them off. They'll probably try and attach Chandler Parson's deal to one of them though, Gasol most likely since he has more value.
I think Orlando has seen enough of elfrid. And Conley is old and now I jury prone there are definitely two teams that would go pg

Haunting

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Besides Conley none of these guys are any good.

Dennis Schroeder is basically a younger Brandon Knight, Dennis Smith is an unknown still, Conley is old and Payton is simply not very good.

Haunting

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bigs are overrated. PG play makes the biggest difference in the NBA.

Trae Young is the biggest difference maker in this draft for sure.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
CHANGE OF PACE...

Hi Guys. I was going through my Classmates.com account and they have a category for celebrity alumni. One of the ones they showed was an ex-Sun, the Chuckster.

'Thought you might want to see what he looked like at Leeds HS in '81.

P.S.: It looks like you'll have to highlight it to your desktop to view it.

Attachments

• Barkley '81.doc
    445 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison