2010 Arizona Cardinals: Happy Days Are Here Again

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
In the midst of dubious off-season rankings that in some case have the Cardinals dropping to #22 and third place in the NFC West...and even bizarre prognostications that the Detroit Lions would have a good chance of winning the NFC West if they played in the division, there are plenty of reasons to believe that the Arizona Cardinals will remain the class of the NFC West and it could be by a wider margin that anyone might care to imagine.

The potential gist of the matter is, this Cardinal team may be significantly stronger than last year's. Take a look at all the reasons why:

QB: The two smartest things the Cardinals have done this off-season is keep a potential starting QB in Matt Leinart who knows the system inside and out. The second is, the Cardinals have enough money in the cash register to either hope that Kurt Warner will get restless and opt to return for one more year, or the Cardinals can add another veteran QB to the mix to compete with Leinart and strong armed UFA signee Derek Anderson for the job.

What Coach Whiz and the Cardinals are counting on is that the pundits are making far too much of the QB change. What the pundits are ignoring is that the Cardinals under Whisenhunt know how to coach up QBs, and in the end, it may not even matter so much who is quarterbacking this team as long as the QB simply responds well to the coaching and does what is asked of him. No matter what, the Cardinals' QB this year is surrounded by first-rate talent, and after all, this is a team sport, and every player in this offense is responsible for making it click.

RB: Beanie Wells is a man on a mission...he's assimilated beautifully into John Lott's program and Wells has his feet on the ground, his stiffarm ready and his eyes on the stars. Along side of Beanie is a third year RB in Tim Hightower who playes every snap like he's on a mission. This guy has one gear and that's full throttle. In addition, the wild card here is LSH, the ST demon, who adds speed and quickness as a utility RB.

LT: Levi Brown is a monster in the running game and guess what? The Cardinals will pound his side like never before. The question is, will Brown be able to stifle the best speed rushers at RDE? From the left side his drop step will be more natural and quicker, and this guy is going to punish RDEs with his initial punch and square them off much better than he did from the right side.

LG: Alan Faneca is still and will always be an elite masher at the position. Talk about upgrades on a team that want s to run the ball more. And what's best about this is that his smashmouth mentality is going to galvanize the line and transform them into a pack of savage dogs, the likes we haven't seen since the days of Dan Dierdorf and Conrad Dobler.

C: Lyle Sendlein keeps getting stronger and more effective each year, and just in case the team wants more beef at times at the position, it added masher G/C Rex Hadnot.

RG: The competition here between Deuce Lutui, Rex Hadnot and Herman Johnson will make the position stronger and the deepest its ever been. Lutui has much to prove in a contract year and he's coming off his best year. Hadnot takes no sh%& from anyone and will be tough to beat out, and Johnson is a human Godzilla-type bulldozer.

RT: Brandon Keith is a star waiting to happen. He has all the tools to be a Pro Bowl caliber RT. He has the size, the strength, the arms, and the feet to be a dominant force. And better yet, he has the best offensive line coach in the game to groom him.

TE: The way Ben Patrick matured last season and started to thrive down the stretch as both a blocker and a receiver...and this year does not have to serve a 4 game suspsension...the Cardinals are already better off at TE than they were last year. Anthony Becht is very good at what he does and will be used even more regularly as one of the run blocking TEs. Other teams coveted Becht but he wanted to stay a Cardinal.

WR: Larry Fitzgerald was not a happy camper last year...because he felt as if he didn't play at the level he wanted to. He will be commanding the ball this year like he was in the playoffs two years ago, and with teams having to try to cope with a tough running attack, when they move a safety up, Fitz will be as wide eyed as an American college student in a Swedish disco. Steve Breaston is in a contract year and has already proven he's a very good #2. Early Doucet comes in this year with world of momentum and confidence as a slot #3 WR. And 3rd round gem Andre Roberts has the speed and hands to be a candidate for NFC Offensive Rookie of the Year.

NT: Bryan Robinson is right...if Dan Williams isn't playing over him, "he isn't doing his job." Williams recorded an unheard of 70 tackles as a DT at Tennessee last year, and not only that, this guy has a quick burst to the QB. He will start from day one. No holds barred.

DE: Is there anyone more motivated and psyched for this season than Darnell Dockett? He is going to love having Williams at NT and is going to show him how to wreak havoc on every offense they face. On the other side, Calais Campbell is coming off a great first year as starter and could well emerge as a Pro Bowl candidate in just his third year. This guy, if he shows he's learned how to finish tackles and sacks with greater explosion and efficency, is a potential superstar.

ILB: The hope is that Gerald Hayes will be fine and back to playing as he was in the first half of last year where he was gunning up the holes and squaring off to finish the RBs. Behind him there is a very intriguing option in Reggie Walker who is a physical and fundamental stop you in your tracks Mike. On the other side, Paris Lenon was signed for insurance but the real gem is rookie 2nd round pick Daryl Washington, who is a faster and quicker and more athletic WILB than Karlos Dansby. Like Dan Williams, expect Washington to start from the get-go. He's too athletic to hold back.

OLB: Finally the Cardinals got a fierce and quick edge ROLB in Joey Porter who will, like Alan Fancea with the offense, galvanize this defense and get them in the mindset of playing in attack mode at all times. On the other side, Clark Haggans is coming of a season at SOLB where he was the Cardinals' most consistent and reliable player. Haggans showed good pass rush ability and will be aided by spot substitutions by up-and-coming rushers Cody Brown, Will Davis, Mark Washington and Stevie Baggs. And when ready, 4th round pick with 1st round talent, O'Brien Schofield, will arrive and make his tenacity felt immediately.

CB: DRC is the man on the left side. Donnie Henderson will make him more savvy, less vulnerable to biting on fakes and stronger in all aspects of his craft. Expect a perennial trip to the Pro Bowl for this uniquely talented athlete. On the other side say hello to Greg Toler, who like DRC has the size and speed to run with and deny any WR on the planet. Also expect far greater and dynamic contributions from ST's star Michael Adams...who will thrive in Henderson's aggressive system.

S: What an All-Star combo in SS Adrian Wilson and FS Kerry Rhodes...wow...they will be shifting and moving about the defense like a couple of panthers in the night...you will never know what is coming...but both of them will be blitzing one minute, or locked up in tight man the next, or racing to intercept a forced ball the next after that. This is the most talented, versatile and aggressive safety tandem the Cardinals have ever had. It's quite possible that both of them will be the starting safeties in the Pro Bowl. Uh, nope, check that...in the Super Bowl...for the Pro Bowl will be played the week before.

ST: Jay Feely, Ben Graham and Mike Leach are like the Magi...they bring great gifts, myrrh and joy..and they too could be riding their way to Pro Bowl berths.

Whiz: He must savor and relish all the pundits' love for SF and SEA...because he is going to use those vibes to energize and motivate this team...and few coaches can do that better than Whiz.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm feeling it, Indiana!

Obviously.

That is without a doubt the most Kool-Aid post ever. Fun to read, and if everything were to work out that way, this team will roll through the division.

Fun article, thanks!

:iwin:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Memo: Wells' is in the mix at RG, and the likely starter if Lutui doesn't show up. IMO

Why? because Wells', like Faneca... can actually pull.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I think DD, DW and CC just might be the best 3-4 DL in the league next year!!!!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
his smashmouth mentality is going to galvanize the line and transform them into a pack of savage dogs, the likes we haven't seen since the days of Dan Dierdorf and Conrad Dobler.

Johnson is a human Godzilla-type bulldozer.

wide eyed as an American college student in a Swedish disco.

:lmao: Funny stuff WMitch. While you evals are slightly over optomistic, why not this time of year. The potential is there. Our secondary needs to play steady. Some added pressure will help.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mitch, Super Bowl? Who's the QB in your scenario that leads us there? :D

Replacing potentially 9 starters off the roster is going to be a challenge even though we are probably better talentwise in the long run.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Wow Mitch-----I'll have some of that stuff too. Seriously, I feel very much like you do. We have some excellent leadership on both sides of the ball, who should be able to create a belief and a confidence in the younger players learning from them. The biggest difference between college and pro players is what they believe about themselves. Do they think they can play the game, or do they KNOW they can play the game. We have the veteran talent to convince these youngsters that they CAN play at this level.

The only thing that I would add, is that I look for Donnie Henderson to make a big difference in how our secondary plays this year. This D-line has the potential to keep the ILB's and Safeties free to fly to the ball. I doubt that there will be anywhere near the clutter for them to work through to make a tackle as they faced last year. At the same time, the Corners should be able to press cover more, and the pass rush should take pressure off them. I am sure Henderson will exploit that.

I can't wait to see how this shakes out this year. The offense looks to be not only solid, but deep at every position. The defensive line is also solid and deep. The lack of depth at ILB, CB, and to a lesser extent Saftey will be a concern, at least until some of the youngsters work their way into the rotation. I believe that overall, our defense will be much improved from last year. While our offense will probably not score as often, or as quickly as last year, we should control the ball for longer periods of time, (again keeping the defense fresh). This should play out big in second halves of games. GO CARDS !!!!!

seesred

Reaction score
I must say I enjoy reading your posts. This one made me smile all through it. I come here every day and sometimes there is nothing going on. Today was a good day you posted! I've been having a tough time lately health wise. You all keep it up, it really helps. Thanks, may it all come true.

GBR

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We're still incredibly weak at all LB positions.

Disagree. I'm definitely worried about ILB, but at OLB, we have a very nice mixture of young and old talent. I'd say it's one of the deepest positions on the team.

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
Just what I need to start my day! Sure it is a lot of coolaid, but not like the old days when it would be 100% wishful thinking. With what Whis has done, and make no mistake there is a lot of talet here, this could be a very prophetic post!! Go Cards!!

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Love your post Mitch. The weakest part of this team is the rb & cb position. The rb need to prove that they can hang onto the ball. The cb position needs some more depth. I would like the Cardnals to sign a veteran cb.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Mitch you know I love ya man, but my koolaid is still too sour till this current group adds someone in a final camp cut or trade to have a new starter over Gerald Hayes or soon start after Gerald goes down with his back after two good games.

Our run stopping ability playing against this years 9ers who want to pound it and I think the same with the rams and seahags.We go 6-0 in our division and we win it...DUH.

If we start the season with Monty Beisel anywhere near the SILB position,I'm heading for the bunker.Seen enough of his play to last a lifetime.

We need depth and more due to a yearly reccurrent back injury that Gerald Hayes continues to try and play with.I would never tell Gerald to have surgery as only a very small % of NFL players can ever return from even minor back surgery and play a position like SILB in the NFL.

I just don't want him playing at 50% either.Like he tried last year with very poor results.Even though he is never on the weekly injury list.We NEED a STUD.How we get one is as good a guess as I can think of short of finding a trading partner for Lutui.(Which would probably be for a CB first).

So I'll probably stay in the bunker till a move is made.How quickly Schofield can be added to the early game rushing speed of Porter's will be crucial to our passrush and how it helps our weakness in our defensive secondary.Add to that how quick Dan Williams can take the starters spot from Robinson.

Right now I can see our offense putting up 24 points a game.Then I see our defense giving up that much to 28 points a game.So we've got to get better defensively first in my opinion for a threepeat NFC WEST CHAMPIONSHIP.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We start out with 85 guys

They're trying to avoid injury and then win 57 or so roster spots

Those remaining 57 players are trying to win 24 starting spots

Once this has been determined, the focus shifts to "how well they play together."

Multiply those variables by 31 other NFL teams (or at the very least 3 other teams in our division).

Conclusion: At this early part of the preseason, we don't know Jack!

Brewster10

Registered
Reaction score
Disagree. I'm definitely worried about ILB, but at OLB, we have a very nice mixture of young and old talent. I'd say it's one of the deepest positions on the team.

I can't get excited about OLB, when there isnt a guy at the position I could even feel safe projecting to get 8 sacks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I can't get excited about OLB, when there isnt a guy at the position I could even feel safe projecting to get 8 sacks.

I don't think that's fair. Joey Porter got 9 sacks last season when he had inferior players in front of him in Miami, and Haggans is probably about a big a pass rush threat right now as Jason Taylor is.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

You claimed we're incredibly weak at both LB positions, which just isn't true. We're just fine at OLB, especially considering we started Bert Berry at that position last year. Not only are our starters better at OLB, we have better depth as well. It's fine to be worried about ILB and CB, but OLB is certainly one of the least of our worries.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know linebacker is the least worry of this team. Turnovers should be everybody concern. The question that should be asked is the Cardinals fumbling woes behind them? Can Wells & Hightower hang on to the ball? The Cardinals had 32 fumbles last season & lost 18. They were a -7 on the turnovers battle last season. Turnovers is what cost teams games.

Brewster10

Registered
Reaction score
You claimed we're incredibly weak at both LB positions, which just isn't true. We're just fine at OLB, especially considering we started Bert Berry at that position last year. Not only are our starters better at OLB, we have better depth as well. It's fine to be worried about ILB and CB, but OLB is certainly one of the least of our worries.

You think Porter and Haggans at this stage in their careers are strong OLBs?

We dont know what Brown or Davis will do.

I dont view this as a strong position.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison