2 way vs 3 way SLI

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with running a tri-SLI setup?

Is it worth the extra investment/extra case heat/noise etc to go from SLI up to 3 way SLI?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with running a tri-SLI setup?

Is it worth the extra investment/extra case heat/noise etc to go from SLI up to 3 way SLI?

I would say no. All the reviews that I have read basically say there is little to no difference performance wise between 2 way SLI and 3 way SLI. It's basically a bragging rights thing.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I would say no. All the reviews that I have read basically say there is little to no difference performance wise between 2 way SLI and 3 way SLI. It's basically a bragging rights thing.

Agreed totally. Tri-SLI at least right now, just isn't worth it.

ShuHanGuanYu

Registered
Reaction score
I was faced with this decision last week. I decided to go with a two-way 9800GTX SLI instead of three. I waited, and if I feel the need to in the future I'll just add a third one and go three-way SLI.

The decision to go DDR3 or DDR2 was much harder for me. :(

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Woof. That's I've been outta the game. Have the performance of duel-cards advanced to the point they'd even consider 3 in tandem?

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sometimes I swear you guys just make words up and are talking about nothing as a joke.

Some of us would never know the difference.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sometimes I swear you guys just make words up and are talking about nothing as a joke.

My brother just upgraded his computer to a quad core and duel 9800GT's I believe......

way too much money.

I think I have an 8600 and the MB is capable of duel SLI, but I'm not spending that kind of dough.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother just upgraded his computer to a quad core and duel 9800GT's I believe......

way too much money.

I think I have an 8600 and the MB is capable of duel SLI, but I'm not spending that kind of dough.
Are you referring to Atari? Is that what this thread is about?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you referring to Atari? Is that what this thread is about?

Man, I had an atari 2600 and it went missing about 6 or 7 years ago.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

way too much money.

What's the long term plan for that?
It sorta looks like PC games are dying as an industry. The most popular, WoW, is working off an engine that's got to be pushing 4 years old, and I don't know if there's a real upgrade coming.
I remember the guys who made games that pushed machines the first (Crytek? I can't remember for some reason) said they're abandoning PC because of piracy.
Most games coming out will probably be half-backsided ports. The last upgrade I made will be my last upgrade for a really long time I think.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

way too much money.

OH YEAH????

Well, it's "dual" not "duel"... So there!!!!!! :p

/got nothin', 'cept I know MB is mother board (I think)

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
It sorta looks like PC games are dying as an industry.

Actually, this is not exactly true.

There are articles that claim that PC Gaming is dying, but those articles are based purely on in store sales of PC Games. The fact is that PC Game Sales through online transactions such as Steam or Direct2Drive have increased sales by something like 300% over the last 5 years. In fact, I recently read an article on Megagames that said that by the end of the year, Steam Games will sell more games on line then they do via retail store locations.

Think of the implications if PC Gaming died. Companies like Intel, AMD, NVIDIA, etc all have a very vested interest in seeing this doesn't happen. All this high end technology that's sold every day is sold for primarily one thing and that's Gaming. I can dig for some articles if you like, but the bottom line is that PC Gaming isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The only real truth to those articles is that WoW has inspired some companies to move more toward MMORPG style over the epic single player games of old. A trend I personally oppose, but that's another story.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually, this is not exactly true.

There are articles that claim that PC Gaming is dying, but those articles are based purely on in store sales of PC Games. The fact is that PC Game Sales through online transactions such as Steam or Direct2Drive have increased sales by something like 300% over the last 5 years. In fact, I recently read an article on Megagames that said that by the end of the year, Steam Games will sell more games on line then they do via retail store locations.

Think of the implications if PC Gaming died. Companies like Intel, AMD, NVIDIA, etc all have a very vested interest in seeing this doesn't happen. All this high end technology that's sold every day is sold for primarily one thing and that's Gaming. I can dig for some articles if you like, but the bottom line is that PC Gaming isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The only real truth to those articles is that WoW has inspired some companies to move more toward MMORPG style over the epic single player games of old. A trend I personally oppose, but that's another story.

I'm relieved, as a long time PC hardcore. It feels like a dark time and I hope it continues to be the way to game.