13 in 44: 2009 Cardinals Special Teams

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Special Teams:

Prelude: There is something about being a Cardinals fan, that makes us special. No other fan, in any other sport gets to enjoy/endure the suspense that only a Cardinal fan has to enjoy/endure. Yes, we had a great year last year but let's not forget our roots. As a Cardinal fan you know that no lead is safe, no extra point is a sure thing, the punt that needs to go here goes there, the bad bounce, etc., etc.

For example, people don't like to watch football with my wife an I. It could be the fourth quarter and the Cardinals are up by 24 pts and my wife and I are on the edge of our seats. You just never know. Note: the cool thing these days is we could be down by 24 pts and have the honest hope of coming back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, onto special teams. The Cardinals have had a problem with special teams for a long time, yet never in just one area. Kickers that don't hurt themselves celebrating, and others who are more reliable have been hard to come by.

Punting was a mainstay for a while .... a long while, but time took hold and the change was made. Since the change our punting game has been horrid.

Speaking of change, the same vien this offseson we saw long time long snapper Nathan Hodel leave. Hopefully, it will not follow the punter position in becoming a problem.

Kicker: Neil Rackers
Neil Rackers.......Neil Rackers....... I think it was justifiable to call for Neil Rackers' head at the beginning of last year, since 2005 (meaning after that season) it has been a horror show. He had no clutch kicks, missed extra points, and had built up a lot of debt in the trust department with the missing of many game winning field goals. Personally, I still get nervous when he goes out on the field to kick field goals, and extra points. But I will not deny Rackers had a very solid season last year, and made some clutch kicks at the end of the year, and in the playoffs. Matter of fact he seems to be kicking the ball a lot like he was in 2005. The ball seems to be going straigher, and he seems to be more relaxed and comfortable in his kicking motion. If Rackers can repeat or improve last year's production we should be sitting pretty with our kicker position. Plus he has taught me to appreciate an extra point and a 20 yard FG a little more than I used to. :D

Oh, and I almost forgot, attention must be made to the weapon Rackers has become in the kick off game. I absolutely LOVE the fact tha Whiz has a handful of plays for kicking off. Racker's ability to make some unsual kicks give the Cardinals a huge advantage on kick offs. The other team has to be ready at anytime because they have no idea where the ball is going. Look no further than the NFC Championship game to see one of the best kicks you will ever see. Granted the Cardinals got completely hosed by the refs on the call, the kick and recovery was a beautiful thing. That is yet, another weapon that will only get better this year.

Punter: Ben Graham
Ugh. Scott Player was way past his prime, Matt Barr, Mitch Berger, Dirk Johnson.....utterly worthless, all of them. It was either they were a bad holder, bad punter, or all of the above. Ben Graham has come in and done a decent job so far, and I stress decent. I guess you need to buy into the system that Ben Graham is not going to try and beat you with hang time or distance, but with accuracy. Funny that Graham has a rugby (if you can call Australian rules rugby....rugby) background and that I have a good amount of experience in the sport. If Graham was considered a good kicker in rugby then he has the ability to put the ball where he wants to. A rugby punt is not as "high" as a football punt, but you can put a rugby punt where ever you want. OT: That is right your 270lbs author can put a punt where ever he wants if he is "on" his punting that day.

Can directional and accurate punting work in the NFL ? I dunno, because there is no room for mistakes. You shank one punt and everyone is out of position, or the ball goes 5 feet, or something worse happens. Yet, it is an advantage if you can put a punt 30 yards down field, out of bounds giving the opposition no chance to return the punt. Not to mention you have a better ability to get a punt inside the 20, and to kick to where you coverage is.

Anyway Mr. Graham has a HUGE question mark over his head. While he played solid last year, he was in fact hurt. It will matter on how he comes back from injury, his consistancy, and where his accuracy can make up for this lack of distance and hang time.

Long Snapper: Mike Leach
Mike Leach is in a no win situation. He is taking over for Nathan Hodel, a fan favorite, and a player who for seven year never had an issue. Either Leach doesn't make a mistake, and still has to win over Hodel fans, or he makes a mistake, and gets the "Hodel never missed a snap" thrown in his face.

Leach is a long snapper, his one job to do is snap to Ben Graham. That is it. I think we will be fine with Leach at the position, and I like the fact Leach is listed at a LB so he must know how to tackle. Personally, I will miss Mr. Hodel, but change is inevitable.

Kick Returner: Michael Ray Garvin, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Steve Breaston, Jason Wright, Sean Morey
Right away let me say it would be an emergency to see Wright or Morey out there returning a kick but they can do it. Stever Breaston has the mentality of a returner, his abilities has not caught up to his mindset. Not to mention Breaston has become an important part of the offense so his concentration should be on WR. Leaving us with Michael Ray Garvin and LaRod Stephens-Howling (LSH). The Cardinals would be crazy to not try and get Garvin out on the field as a kick returner. We are talking about another level of speed with Garvin. The minute he pass the back heel of the last defender you can be assured he will not get caught from behind. But what about agility, catching ability, and ability to run the football in a game with people trying to tackle you ?

If Garvin can't get the job done, I expect to see LSH take over. Not knowing much about LSH it is hard to say what he could accomplish as a KR. All I know is if Breaston walks out onto the field as our opening day KR, we have problems at the position.

Punt Returner: Michael Ray Garvin, Steve Breaston, Greg Toler, Antrel Rolle
I feel better about our punt returners than our kick returners. Once again Garvin is a special athelete but it needs to transfer onto the field on game day. Breaston is always an option to field a punt, but history shows he is very average at the job. Greg Toler, has experience returning punts, and once again, like Garvin has great speed, and has great atheletic abilty. Finally, Antrel Rolle has the ability to return punts as well, and with him there is no question about what he can do with the ball in his hands and an open field. In addition, with the depth at FS this year, Rolle can be used in the punt return position. Again if Breaston ends up returning punts on opening day then we have a problem at the position in both depth, and talent.

The Cardinals should be OK at thier specialty position, but we all must realize each position has a big question mark. Will Rackers slip back to 2006/2007 form ? Will Graham be able to cut it as the punter ? Will Mike Leach make us regret losing Nathan Hodel ? Can Michael Ray Garvin be the weapon that his potential say he can be ? Unfortunately, we will have to have a wait a see approach to this situation.

We all know special teams is made up of more than a K, P, KR, PR and LS. Guys like Keith Lewis, Aaron Fransisco, Matt Ware, Rashad Johnson, Greg Toler, Michael Adams, Ali Highsmith, Sean Morey, Michael Ray Garvin, Jason Wright and a host of others play important roles in special teams play.

If you look at last season our special teams suffered once Ali Highsmith went down. The lack of tackling seemed to be the problem, were Highsmith was a heat seeking missle that would clean up any mess that was left standing. Hopefully a guy like Keith Lewis can come in and support Highsmith and add some strength to the coverage units. Michael Adams to continue to grow into his role as a gunner, which he is already good at. The speed of a Greg Toler, and Michael Ray Garvin is sure to help. Not to mention the fact that Jason Wright is supposed to be a special teams ace as well. As of right now that would be 6 players that are better know for their special teams play then there positional play. That would be over half the special teams unit, so a vast improvement on coverage units should be expect.

To put a cap on this un-expectedly long post, keep in mind there is yet another set of players that give the Cardinals another advantage. Sean Morey and DRC are known to be able to block a punt or field goal. Just another weapon that the other teams have to keep in the back of their mind.

It should be a a very exciting and interesting year in the 3rd phase of the game for the Cardinals.

12 down and 1 to go.

13 in 44:
QB:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/13-in-44-2009-cardinals-quarterbacks-136020.html
RB:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/13-in-44-2009-cardinals-running-backs-136157.html
WR:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/13-in-44-2009-cardinals-wide-recievers-136294.html
TE/FB:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/13-in-44-2009-cardinals-tight-ends-and-fullbacks-136386.html
OT:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/13-in-44-2009-cardinals-offensive-tackles-136643.html
OG/C:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...inals-offensive-guard-amp-centers-136752.html
DL:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/13-in-44-2009-cardinals-defensive-line-136959.html
OLB:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/13-in-44-2009-cardinals-outside-linebackers-137053.html
ILB:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/13-in-44-2009-cardinals-inside-linebackers-137259.html
CB:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/13-in-44-2009-cardinals-cornerbacks-137337.html
S:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/13-in-44-2009-cardinals-safeties-137495.html

Last edited:

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These have been my favorite offseason write-ups that I've ever seen on this board by a mile. Good job man.

One thing though, I'm pretty sure I remember Whiz, Kevin Spencer and Howlings himself saying that LSH's STs duty would be trying out as a gunner, not returning any kicks. Whiz and Senc both said he wasn't good at returning kicks in college so they had no plans at looking at him in that position in the pros.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Read this Somers blog to understand just how bad the Special teams stunk last year.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/58258

It pretty much sucked in all aspects, coverage and returns, both in punts and kickoffs. And last year was nothing new, they sucked just as bad the year before. Yet this will now be the third year in a row we get to here about all of these awesome special teams players we are signing or drafting, hopefyllu they are right for a change. Right now I dont have much faith in Coach Spencer after two straight years of being one of the worst ST's groups in the league.

Reaction score
I have enjoyed all of these "position previews", this may be the best yet!

Well done, RM! :raccoon::raccoon::raccoon:

One aspect of the return teams that wasn't mentioned is Steve Breaston's skill at catching kicks. It's an often overlooked aspect of the kicking game, until the ball is on the carpet. I can't recall; though I'm fairly certain someone will point one out; the Cardinal's losing the ball due to mishandling or fumbling a kick. While stellar returns are exciting, not giving the opponent nearly automatic points by turning-over a kick is critical.

Oh, and I almost forgot, attention must be made to the weapon Rackers has become in the kick off game. I absolutely LOVE the fact tha Whiz has a handful of plays for kicking off. Racker's ability to make some unsual kicks give the Cardinals a huge advantage on kick offs. The other team has to be ready at anytime because they have no idea where the ball is going. Look no further than the NFC Championship game to see one of the best kicks you will ever see. Granted the Cardinals got completely hosed by the refs on the call, the kick and recovery was a beautiful thing. That is yet, another weapon that will only get better this year.
Glad to see this mentioned. It was HUGE last year. I feel that it helped compensate for the some of the other special teams aspects at which the Cards were less than adequate.

And...
I will echo joeshmo's comment regarding a lack of faith in Kevin Spencer at getting the job done.