Assuming You Want the Rumors I’m Hearing

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Oh yes… the Ryan Williams award winner!

Given how Big Mo played out (though he was drafted by the previous regime), I basically feel like this and don’t have expectations for Gaines. But maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Guys - you'll never believe what Rondale is doing in camp...Jerry Rice looks like crap compared to Moore!

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My question is more about Froholt...and I dont know enough about his skill set to have an opinion. He was a pleasant surprise at OC last year. Our LG was the weakness of our OLine.

I have seen some people float the idea of moving Froholt to LG, but I dont know how realistic that is, or if its even advisable. Wouldn't we want to let him continue to get better with more experience at center?

A veteran LG is going to cost a lot in FA...but we have the money. A rookie LG who is capable of starting day 1 is going to cost us a pick in the top 2-3 rounds for sure...and then there is the possibility of moving PJJ to LG and having essentially 2 rookies (at least 2 players playing new positions in the NFL) as the entire left side of our line.

I feel like my preference would be to move PJJ to LT, sign a vet LG, leave Froholdt at Center, Hernandez at RG, and either Beachum or a rookie RT.
We will never move Paris to guard.

As for Froholt to guard would depend on the development of Gaines. I believe he was to compete at the Center position.

If we could screw big Moe’s head on a little tighter I would love to see him at left guard this coming year.

My hope is we bring in a younger veteran guard through free agency.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Disagree with this. He'll cost less than a third-round pick, but LG is literally the cheapest position on the offensive line. I averaged the APYs for like the top 10 contracts at each position and it's like one-third of a right-tackle contract.

I agree with this.
Well, Im looking at Sporttrac Estimated Market Value for Guards.

Hunt- 12M
Cleveland - 13M
Dotson- 16M
Onwenu- 14M

If we want a top FA LG its going to cost us some money...and Im ok with that. Im not sure we could get a starting LG in the 3rd. Honestly I think we would need to go with Beebee or Barton at 35....I think a later round guy is a gamble that he's not really an upgrade to last year.

That fact that I want to spend on a LG is one of the reasons I would be ok rolling with Beachum and later round guy at RT....depending on how the draft unfolds. If we are staring at Latham or Fuagu at 27, they might be BPA and a long term solution.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
We will never move Paris to guard.

As for Froholt to guard would depend on the development of Gaines. I believe he was to compete at the Center position.

If we could screw big Moe’s head on a little tighter I would love to see him at left guard this coming year.

My hope is we bring in a younger veteran guard through free agency.
Never said moving PJJ to guard. I think he should move to LT this year, we should cut DJ, and find a RT to compete with Beachum

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well, Im looking at Sporttrac Estimated Market Value for Guards.

Hunt- 12M
Cleveland - 13M
Dotson- 16M
Onwenu- 14M

If we want a top FA LG its going to cost us some money...and Im ok with that. Im not sure we could get a starting LG in the 3rd. Honestly I think we would need to go with Beebee or Barton at 35....I think a later round guy is a gamble that he's not really an upgrade to last year.

That fact that I want to spend on a LG is one of the reasons I would be ok rolling with Beachum and later round guy at RT....depending on how the draft unfolds. If we are staring at Latham or Fuagu at 27, they might be BPA and a long term solution.
Dat crazy bro.

Kevin Dotson is going to become the 3rd-highest paid RG in the NFL after two seasons as a starter (and three of this year's games he was a healthy scratch)? Okay.

Robert Hunt is another RG.

Ezra Cleveland is going to become the top 10-highest paid LG in the NFL after playing 65% of the snaps for his team? Maybe? After the Vikes gave up on him and traded him to Jacksonville?

OTC has Michael Onwenu as a tackle, which may help explain why his valuation is so high. He also plays on the right side.

They way I look at FA OL is I go to OTC's free agency tracker, click the position I'm looking for, and sort by snap %. Maybe our assistant GM knows something about Jonah Jackson. Maybe we like John Simpson.

I don't even need the best dude in the NFL. Literally a below-average starter will be a significant upgrade over Elijah Wilkinson and Trystan Colon.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Dat crazy bro.

Kevin Dotson is going to become the 3rd-highest paid RG in the NFL after two seasons as a starter (and three of this year's games he was a healthy scratch)? Okay.

Robert Hunt is another RG.

Ezra Cleveland is going to become the top 10-highest paid LG in the NFL after playing 65% of the snaps for his team? Maybe? After the Vikes gave up on him and traded him to Jacksonville?

OTC has Michael Onwenu as a tackle, which may help explain why his valuation is so high. He also plays on the right side.

They way I look at FA OL is I go to OTC's free agency tracker, click the position I'm looking for, and sort by snap %. Maybe our assistant GM knows something about Jonah Jackson. Maybe we like John Simpson.

I don't even need the best dude in the NFL. Literally a below-average starter will be a significant upgrade over Elijah Wilkinson and Trystan Colon.
Hey...I dont write the numbers...I just post what I see.

I think if were going to go for a FA Left Guard...we might as well go for the best we can get....otherwise we should just draft one. If we need to spend 10 mil a year Im fine with that. Its important enough of a position

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hey...I dont write the numbers...I just post what I see.

I think if were going to go for a FA Left Guard...we might as well go for the best we can get....otherwise we should just draft one. If we need to spend 10 mil a year Im fine with that. Its important enough of a position

I'm skeptical of any of these contract estimators; they don't provide a history to prove their accuracy, and it's certainly not clear what inputs they take into account.

As for the bolded point, I'm pretty sure that's just factually inaccurate. It's probably the least-important part of the offensive line, and that's reflected in the salary numbers.

You're gonna make on of those jamokes the second-highest paid player on your offense (assuming we do something to Hump and don't sign a high-dollar FA WR -- in reality it would be the third-highest paid)?

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
This is no great revelation as I understand CBS has tied him to the Cards. Graham Barton keeps popping up as being talked about by the Cards. He played OT at Duke, but I had him at guard. He was a highly rated guard coming out of high school and he played effective center as well. Scouts see him with a high football IQ and outstanding versatility. He played only LT at Duke, and did develop into a solid player at that spot. He has a fine motor and is very competitive. His arm length is less than ideal at tackle in the NFL. His burst and drive seem better suited inside. He’s a fascinating prospect. CBS likes him at 27. I like him better at 33.
Harry- You hear anything about Blake Fisher...RT from Notre Dame?

Hes a redshirt sophomore, and I think most expected him to return for anothe year, maybe take over LT from Alt....but he seems like he could be a really interesting kid in the late 3rd round?

As I posted elsewhere, my preference (assuming we dont draft Alt at #4) would be to move Paris to LT and then bring in a later round guy to compete with Beachum for the RT spot. I like Beachum a lot...I think hes a pro and has done nothing but be solid since bringing him in, so I would be fine with him starting at RT for us...but I know he's not a long term solution.

Fisher has started 25 games for ND. Hes 6'6 315, and seems to have correctable weaknesses with technique...but is already a pretty solid player.

Thoughts?

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of any of these contract estimators; they don't provide a history to prove their accuracy, and it's certainly not clear what inputs they take into account.

As for the bolded point, I'm pretty sure that's just factually inaccurate. It's probably the least-important part of the offensive line, and that's reflected in the salary numbers.

You're gonna make on of those jamokes the second-highest paid player on your offense (assuming we do something to Hump and don't sign a high-dollar FA WR -- in reality it would be the third-highest paid)?
We have a 5'10 QB and want to be a power running team. Interior pressure is the #1 thing that will derail our offense and also stunt Kylers progress. He's fast enough to elude edge rushers...(which Im also hoping we improve against) but the pocket collapsing destroys things for most offenses, but especially for us.

Hopefully we will start using more bootlegs and waggles....but if we ever want Kyler to improve as a pocket passer...we have to give him a pocket. I say if we think any of these FA guards can be top 5 in the league, or any of the rookies could eventually be there....they are worth the investment.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never said moving PJJ to guard.
You did :), but I assume you meant LT. It was confusing in context, though!
and then there is the possibility of moving PJJ to LG and having essentially 2 rookies (at least 2 players playing new positions in the NFL) as the entire left side of our line.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not a stretch. Not calling out specific posters, but some told me he would compete to start at center and had a very good chance to win the job.
I recall having a positive impression of Gaines so I may have been one of those. But it may also have been a product of us not having other options and limited knowledge on Frodo when he got here.
But I also remember being pretty bummed we didnt draft a center in the second round last year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not a stretch. Not calling out specific posters, but some told me he would compete to start at center and had a very good chance to win the job.
Starting as a rookie on a team that many projected to have the top pick isn't really "big things".

All I can remember was "chance to compete" and as others said that was largely because Froholdt was a relative unknown as a starter.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There were some that absolutely expected him to compete for starting center.
Sure, but that's not big things. That might be big things for the Chiefs or 49ers, but for a team that barely projected most projected win totals and had a relative dearth of talent, competing for a job is hardly "big things".

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I recall having a positive impression of Gaines so I may have been one of those. But it may also have been a product of us not having other options and limited knowledge on Frodo when he got here.
But I also remember being pretty bummed we didnt draft a center in the second round last year.
The Cardinals were largely proven correct on not drafting a center.