The Suns' search for a New Coach Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting Bob Myers was a long shot, but keeping James Jones, well I hope this is not a settled matter.
It's a settled matter. You don't do the things Ishbia is doing with JJ and then get rid of him. At least I hope not.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KD, personally, got 2 coaches axed in Brooklyn. He also demanded the GM get fired. He gets here and months later the reigning coach of the year gets fired (not undeservingly... but still).

You've got sky high expectations, an impatient owner, a star player who is a coach killer and a roster that is in extreme flux with very little ability to improve...

I can see why coaches that are in demand are balking at this job.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KD, personally, got 2 coaches axed in Brooklyn. He also demanded the GM get fired. He gets here and months later the reigning coach of the year gets fired (not undeservingly... but still).

You've got sky high expectations, an impatient owner, a star player who is a coach killer and a roster that is in extreme flux with very little ability to improve...

Nobody has balked at the job. We never offered it to Nurse, that's just BS he leaked to make himself look better.

If people are balking at the job how did we get like 8 guys to interview?

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think you are playing a little loose with the term "got coaches axed" in Brooklyn and then linking that to Monty being fired, and calling KD a coach killer. Its a lot more complicated than blaming KD for each of those decisions to part ways with those coaches.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t see it. Once Willie Green left you could see a huge difference. Young was here and we got worse
I think the difference is Monty trusted Willie and gave him some control. With that said, I'm not quite sure what you mean you could see a huge difference we had the best record in the league by a longshot in our first season without him.

The biggest reason the team has gotten worse is CP3 has become a shell of himself, and it happened real quick.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody has balked at the job. We never offered it to Nurse, that's just BS he leaked to make himself look better.

If people are balking at the job how did we get like 8 guys to interview?
I have no idea if some balked or if Nurse just wanted to make himself look better but being in demand as a Head Coach is great leverage for the job you want.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you are playing a little loose with the term "got coaches axed" in Brooklyn and then linking that to Monty being fired, and calling KD a coach killer. Its a lot more complicated than blaming KD for each of those decisions to part ways with those coaches.
That's putting in mildly. If anyone is a coach killer it's Kyrie.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much he had to do with Monty's firing but he was in on the request that Nash be hired and then demanded that Nash be fired and was almost definitely a big part of the decision to terminate Kenny Atkinson (who had well over-achieved to that point IMO).

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, we hear a bunch of media reports, could be bs, could be some truth, but in all honesty, how much do we really know about what happens behind the scenes?

:shrug:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We’re in the superstar business for better or worse. It started in the 80’s when Magic wanted Paul Westphal replaced. Not sure if MJ got Doug Collins replaced but he was behind the Phil move. Same thing a decade later with Shaq/Kobe and Del Harris. These guys call the shots and having unhappy superstars is a bad place to be in. Unless Kevin Young is putting together a stealth mode staff I’m not sure why it hasn’t been announced yet.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
We’re in the superstar business for better or worse. It started in the 80’s when Magic wanted Paul Westphal replaced. Not sure if MJ got Doug Collins replaced but he was behind the Phil move. Same thing a decade later with Shaq/Kobe and Del Harris. These guys call the shots and having unhappy superstars is a bad place to be in. Unless Kevin Young is putting together a stealth mode staff I’m not sure why it hasn’t been announced yet.
Paul Westhead.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be the Suns want to interview an assistant coach from the Heat or Nuggets. If so, we are going to have to wait.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It could be the Suns want to interview an assistant coach from the Heat or Nuggets. If so, we are going to have to wait.
I was thinking similar, but I don't know anything about most of these guys...

Denver Assistants: David Adelman (Is he related to Rick?), Ryan Saunders (Related to Flip?), Popeye Jones (I remember his playing days, but know nothing about his coaching.), Ryan Bowen, Charles Klask, John Beckett, Ognjen Stoyakovic (Guessing he's the Jokic liaison.)

Miami Assistants: Chris Quinn, Malik Allen, Caron Butler (I remember him as a player.)...bunch of other guys with Assistant Coach/Player Development titles.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking similar, but I don't know anything about most of these guys...

Denver Assistants: David Adelman (Is he related to Rick?), Ryan Saunders (Related to Flip?), Popeye Jones (I remember his playing days, but know nothing about his coaching.), Ryan Bowen, Charles Klask, John Beckett, Ognjen Stoyakovic (Guessing he's the Jokic liaison.)

Miami Assistants: Chris Quinn, Malik Allen, Caron Butler (I remember him as a player.)...bunch of other guys with Assistant Coach/Player Development titles.

At first glance, David Adelman sounds interesting.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But are any of them worth waiting for vs what's already available?

Somebody with Miami could be. They've had crazy success with undrafted free agents. I know Riley gets a ton of credit but he built the system there and others are carrying it out. James Jones did play there for Spoelstra so maybe he knows someone on that staff.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But are any of them worth waiting for vs what's already available?

I don't know, but the Suns appear to be waiting for something.

Maybe there is a coach that will become available or a candidate is still trying to make up his mind.

Someone in the media speculated the Suns wanted to go with a rising young coach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could there be a game of moving chairs involving Kenny Atkinson and Steve Kerr which is complicating things?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Yes! In our case however, I do think Monty had three bites of the apple in the playoffs, and all three times were spectacular flame outs! It was going to be time to move on even if Sarver were here.

I see the perception as you accurately pointed out. However, JJ is still here. There's still a holding pattern on player moves so far. True Ishbia makes a HUGE move on day one, then fires Monty later on. But quite frankly, he is moving slower and more measured on other fronts than I would have expected.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would Mat Ishbia pay a head coach less than Monty received from Detroit?

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Waiting? Maybe for someone with only one year left on their contract but unable to get a desired long-term contract from the team.