The Suns' search for a New Coach Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting? Maybe for someone with only one year left on their contract but unable to get a desired long-term contract from the team.

Or perhaps two years left on their contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, an owner can play GM.

I still remember Robert Sarver adding Josh Childress, Hedo Turkoglu and Hakim Warrick to the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If teams can't indiscriminately pay players with the new tax apron, I wonder if the new battleground will be significantly bumping the pay of CEOs, GMs, coaches and scouts.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would Mat Ishbia pay a head coach less than Monty received from Detroit?
Yes, of course. You don’t pay more than the market price for no reason. None of the 3 finalists are going to command big salaries, they will be lucky to have a job.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns and Raptors are the two teams left standing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, of course. You don’t pay more than the market price for no reason. None of the 3 finalists are going to command big salaries, they will be lucky to have a job.

The price for a top head coach may have just gone up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are gonna go for anyone that costs draft picks to pry away from their existing team.

The Suns don't have any first round picks to trade but it seems like they are waiting for something.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s not like they have to hire a coach before the draft. I really don’t care who the coach is as long as he knows how to call timeouts!!

Any moves we make beyond signing guys to the minimum are likely to happen during or around the draft. The coach and front office having some sort of shared vision on what they hope the roster to look like seems rather important in my eyes.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
It’s not like they have to hire a coach before the draft. I really don’t care who the coach is as long as he knows how to call timeouts!!
exactly.
I'd like to add....
And can draw up an effective play out of timeout
And can make adjustments on the fly
And can make effective use of Ayton (if he's still around)
And can make use KD more than just standing at the 3 point line awaiting a pass
And use Shamet minimally (God forbid he's still here)
And not wear down KD/Book all season
Did I miss anything?

BTW, if Book or KD miss large chunks of time this upcoming season, the Suns are absolute toast.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
exactly.
I'd like to add....
And can draw up an effective play out of timeout
And can make adjustments on the fly
And can make effective use of Ayton (if he's still around)
And can make use KD more than just standing at the 3 point line awaiting a pass
And use Shamet minimally (God forbid he's still here)
And not wear down KD/Book all season
Did I miss anything?

BTW, if Book or KD miss large chunks of time this upcoming season, the Suns are absolute toast.
KD was hardly worn down last season, between Suns and Nets...and all you have to do is look at their career injury histories to know that they will both likely miss games this season. Booker has averaged 66 games per season for his career, with 4 being his least amount of games ever missed, in his 2nd year. Durant has averaged 65 games per year for his career. It's almost laughable that we would count on either of them to stay healthy, because history shows they can't. This team is toast without significant bench depth, for when the inevitable happens and 1 or 2 starters are needed to fill in.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
And can come up with offensive schemes that are more sophisticated than “get the ball to Booker/Durant and hope they outplay their defender one on one”.
Yes, this! Watching the Suns this year reminded me of 90's NBA, where your big PF would post up and dominate (Barkley), while everyone cleared the key. Unfortunately the Suns don't have a big, like Barkley, who can physically dominate the 1 on 1 consistently.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bill Simmons on his Monday podcast made it very clear that Kevin Young is our new head coach. He basically squashed any chance that he was wrong and made it sound like he was holding 4 aces.

With what he knew about Ishbia before his name was floated anywhere...... I believe him.

"They didn't jump on my Suns-Kevin Young thing," Simmons said on the latest episode of The Bill Simmons Podcast. "He's getting the Suns job. That's what I keep telling people on the podcast. He's getting the job. It's gonna be Kevin Young - he will be the next Suns' coach. But don't listen to me."
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bill Simmons on his Monday podcast made it very clear that Kevin Young is our new head coach. He basically squashed any chance that he was wrong and made it sound like he was holding 4 aces.

With what he knew about Ishbia before his name was floated anywhere...... I believe him.

You must be registered for see images

Did he say why it hasn't been announced yet? I mean, if that's the decision might as well get it out there.