The Suns' search for a New Coach Thread

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Bill Simmons on his Monday podcast made it very clear that Kevin Young is our new head coach. He basically squashed any chance that he was wrong and made it sound like he was holding 4 aces.

With what he knew about Ishbia before his name was floated anywhere...... I believe him.

You must be registered for see images
Then why the hold up? If it was always going to be Young, then interviewing others and waiting only makes them look bad.

I really wonder if any of this is behind the scenes machinations for a big fish like Lue or Kerr. I'm much more willing to believe the Suns are holding out for better options or will make a huge splash than our so forlorn Cardinals.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Did he say why it hasn't been announced yet? I mean, if that's the decision might as well get it out there.

Then why the hold up? If it was always going to be Young, then interviewing others and waiting only makes them look bad.

I really wonder if any of this is behind the scenes machinations for a big fish like Lue or Kerr. I'm much more willing to believe the Suns are holding out for better options or will make a huge splash than our so forlorn Cardinals.
All great questions. I'm not really that sure.

Your thought about Kerr or Lue make sense but I would hate to lose Young in the wash if they never materialize.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Your thought about Kerr or Lue make sense but I would hate to lose Young in the wash if they never materialize.
Well, Toronto is the only team with an opening right now other than the Suns, so unless there is a big fear that they'll snatch him, I'm guessing Young will hold out for a head coaching job until he learns he's out of the Suns search.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The longer this goes, the less likely I feel they will hire Kevin Young. Young should be the easiest for the Suns to hire, and if they liked him as much as rumored, what is taking so long? :shrug: I am almost feeling at this point it is NOT Kevin Young.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The longer this goes, the less likely I feel they will hire Kevin Young. Young should be the easiest for the Suns to hire, and if they liked him as much as rumored, what is taking so long? :shrug: I am almost feeling at this point it is NOT Kevin Young.
If it ends up being Young what message does it send they are waiting this long?!!? Well....you were not our first choice but CONGRATS!!!!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I believe something with Kerr is brewing
I believe it's likely Kevin Young, but they are trying/hoping to get him a bench coach with experience (maybe Vogel???)...but guys like Vogel are going to wait until all other HC options are filled, before taking a bench role.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it's likely Kevin Young, but they are trying/hoping to get him a bench coach with experience (maybe Vogel???)...but guys like Vogel are going to wait until all other HC options are filled, before taking a bench role.

This was one of my theories but now I'm thinking it may be an assistant in the playoffs like David Adelman.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
However, Steve Kerr was not a good GM. He made that Kurt Thomas trade.
That's about as reductive as it gets. Do you completely misremember the reason that trade was made?

"There are so many trades made these days that are lousy trades that are made for financial purposes. I mean, I made (when he was Suns President) one of the worst trades in NBA history. I traded Kurt Thomas and two first-round picks to Seattle for nothing, to save $16 million for our organization. Where was the NBA then to veto that trade for basketball reasons?” Steve Kerr

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's about as reductive as it gets. Do you completely misremember the reason that trade was made?

"There are so many trades made these days that are lousy trades that are made for financial purposes. I mean, I made (when he was Suns President) one of the worst trades in NBA history. I traded Kurt Thomas and two first-round picks to Seattle for nothing, to save $16 million for our organization. Where was the NBA then to veto that trade for basketball reasons?” Steve Kerr

I thought you might remember the details. Steve Kerr was not a good GM for the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seattle later traded Kurt Thomas to the Spurs for a first round pick. So the Sonics essentially received three first round picks for him proving he had a positive value. Maybe he was a bit overpaid but he was a solid player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a joke, right?
Not really. Obviously Sarver instructed him to reduce costs but I would suspect that Kerr put the deal together. So I vaccilate between the two but I'm confident it wouldn't have happened if we'd had a better owner so I'd put the lion's share on Robert.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, Steve Kerr was not a good GM. He made that Kurt Thomas trade.
Kerr has also had a heavy hand in how Golden State has been put together so I don't know that Thomas trade which I don't think was entirely on him is a counter. Again, he wasn't coach here but I just found it ironic that a guy who has had a major role in Golden State's run was part of this org.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose