Playoffs: Clippers @ Suns Tuesday game thread 4-25-2023 - Game 5

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It’s not like a chorus of boos but he gets more fans yelling things after he makes a mistake or even misses a shot than the rest of the team combined.

A lot of it is ASU fans being completely irrational. We have a few here.
There's a lot of U of A fans who are completely irrational about him too.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. I don’t listen to phx radio. I’m actually glad to hear that. Criticism is good for someone that’s going to succeed. Is that Ayton? Doubtful. But hoping…
It’s not new and nothing has materially changed there so don’t hold your breath.
It’s not like a chorus of boos but he gets more fans yelling things after he makes a mistake or even misses a shot than the rest of the team combined.

I think this is bogus. None of the guys who continually criticize Ayton on the radio are ASU honks. Who are the ASU guys here who are completely irrational? The only blatant ASU guy here I know like ASUCHRIS is one of Ayton’s biggest defenders.

And the players on the court who regularly yell at Ayton aren’t doing so because of ASU ties. It all comes because of Ayton’s own actions, not some ASU based irrationality.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s not new and nothing has materially changed there so don’t hold your breath.

I think this is bogus. None of the guys who continually criticize Ayton on the radio are ASU honks. Who are the ASU guys here who are completely irrational? The only blatant ASU guy here I know like ASUCHRIS is one of Ayton’s biggest defenders.

And the players on the court who regularly yell at Ayton aren’t doing so because of ASU ties. It all comes because of Ayton’s own actions, not some ASU based irrationality.

I’m talking specifically about people who scream obscenities at him in the arena… and the few fans here who only seeming post here to trash Ayton.

I criticize him plenty, he is a huge disappointment, but that post was specifically responding to the grief he loudly gets in the arena.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Really? That’s weird. I get UofA fanboi schtick. But holding the alma mater against a player on your favorite team is kinda stupid imo.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m talking specifically about people who scream obscenities at him in the arena… and the few fans here who only seeming post here to trash Ayton.

I criticize him plenty, he is a huge disappointment, but that post was specifically responding to the grief he loudly gets in the arena.
Gotcha.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? That’s weird. I get UofA fanboi schtick. But holding the alma mater against a player on your favorite team is kinda stupid imo.

There are a lot of “what are you doing Ayton” yells in the crowd when he does one of his weak, 6 foot jumpers and misses, the crowd as a whole gets exasperated more with him than anyone, but there are a few loud fans who take it to another level.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is lucky he Kahwi is garnering most of the negative attentions. SA said he should just retire, Cowherd said the clippers just need to move on from him. Lots of backlash and questions about Kahwi's character as well.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I like Ayton, I think he's an above average Center but would be better suited as a Power Forward. I think we undervalue what he does at times, he's pretty much been money with that short mid range jump shot

That being said - he is also physically soft and mentally fragile. He's never going to mature into a true banger, he'll always be a finesse player. He sorta disappears at times and if you call him out on it too roughly you risk him disappearing completely

I'm just going to come right out and say it. Ayton has all the talent and size in the world - but I fear he could be one rough day/game/conversation away from going full Ben Simmons

Ayton didn't talk to Monty Williams the entire off-season if I remember correctly. Monty has to be so delicate with him, because instead of listening and working on his game DeAndre Ayton simply can't handle the truth or criticism

But again, I believe him to be very serviceable as is. If he stays here he's going to break a lot of Suns records as far as bigs go. You just have to accept him for what he is because that aint changing

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns alternate Governor Justin Ishbia will be on at 3 pm at the link below to talk about making the Suns a championship organization.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The interview is starting with Suns Alternate Governor Justin Ishbia.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones is praised for having the assets to make the trade for Kevin Durant.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin Ishbia was surprised at the amount of support the Suns had in the Valley among the professional sports franchises.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Among things to know, Mat and Justin are avid ping pong players. They especially love basketball.

They are very competitive.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What might be different going forward: more T-shirts, entertainment and giveaways at halftime and they like to read and listen to the fans.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns alternate Governor Justin Ishbia will be on at 3 pm at the link below to talk about making the Suns a championship organization.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I though at the end it was interesting. Didn't come out and say it but it sure sounded like a reference to the Suns games not being available to a wider audience (i.e. Bally's only).

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Really? Stop blaming the ASU fans. They are Suns fans and you know why they are not always happy with him. There are plenty of U of A fans here who are objective and regularly call him out. Yes, I am an ASU fan but it is irrelevant that he came from U of A. As a Suns fan I want all of our players to succeed. Especially Ayton, our number 1 pick. He may be a goofy kid, but he is our goofy kid.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Holding something against a player or person because of where they attended college is beyond my comprehension.

It's great to have rivalry games and occasionally have fun teasing each other, but that's where it should end.

I don't care where a person or player attended school when it comes to everyday life.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kenny Smith just sent Ayton a cold arm shiver
"You can't leave DominAyton"

Nobody laughed but I did. I see you Kenny!

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To put what he said in context The tnt crew were complimenting Devin Booker's play in this year's playoff.

"We know Booker can score, he scored 71 points in a game." "You can't double him with Kevin Durant out there" "You can't double him with DominAyton out there."

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holding something against a player or person because of where they attended college is beyond my comprehension.

It's great to have rivalry games and occasionally have fun teasing each other, but that's where it should end.

I don't care where a person or player attended school when it comes to everyday life.

Unless it is Duke. Only Grant Hill gets that stink off him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
A better comparison to DA is Isaiah Simmons. Both freakishly talented and athletic, but are playing under coaches who have no idea how to properly use them and just assume that their attitudes and athleticism will make up for it.
Uh, whaaat? DA was a major part of a team that made it to the Finals. He's been the main reason we've won at least one game in this series already. Simmons? Wow.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, whaaat? DA was a major part of a team that made it to the Finals. He's been the main reason we've won at least one game in this series already. Simmons? Wow.
when was DA the main reason we won a game in this series?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I dont disagree, but I'm looking at the big picture.

Simmons had, in many ways, been misused by Vance Joseph. He couldnt commit to Simmons one position and would constantly change it on him without developing the tactical side of it. And when Simmons made one mistake, he was benched for a considerable amount of time.

For Ayton, it's similar. His capbilities are far more than he's displayed and much of that has been on coaching. He's been pigeon-holed into the 90s style big man when he can step back and hit a jumper and play along the perimeter. Perhaps it's too much of an ask for Monty to be flexible and involve him more, but when a coach actively tells a young player that he "can't" do something, that doesnt help their self-confidence.

BTW - both Simmons and DA have been the catalyst for wins in their careers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson