Rapoport: Cardinals trading out of #3 very very likely

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
“We won’t be competitive even with Will Anderson this year”

Boy it’s a good thing we’re not only drafting Will Anderson for the 2023 season. I guess we might have to throw the 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, etc, seasons out the window as well if that’s the case.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Will the team be banned from adding more talent/players after drafting Anderson? lol
no and tbh i could go either way.

I just figure it benefits the team to garner as many early round picks as they can the next couple years to solidify a good young foundation. Then they can add the stars to it.

Look at how good that 2004 draft helped the Cardinals at the 2008 season

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
“We won’t be competitive even with Will Anderson this year”

Boy it’s a good thing we’re not only drafting Will Anderson for the 2023 season. I guess we might have to throw the 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, etc, seasons out the window as well if that’s the case.
Your arent capable of having a normal conversation without the snarky comments are you...

I already said i could go either way, im just offering up the argument for why they should trade down.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Simeon Rice became a very integral part of the defense that helped the Cardinals make the playoffs in 1998...Without Fitz, it's highly doubtful the Cards reach the playoffs in 2008, let alone the Super Bowl. So while taking Anderson (if available) may not pay immediate dividends in the W/L column for 2023, not taking him (if available) might be the difference in the Cards making future playoff runs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simeon Rice became a very integral part of the defense that helped the Cardinals make the playoffs in 1998...Without Fitz, it's highly doubtful the Cards reach the playoffs in 2008, let alone the Super Bowl. So while taking Anderson (if available) may not pay immediate dividends in the W/L column for 2023, not taking him (if available) might be the difference in the Cards making future playoff runs.
Not to mention Simeon Rice was the missing piece that made the Bucs defense dominant and win the Super Bowl.

When you have a chance to get a HOF level superstar at a key position that can wreak havoc on the field, you take it, IMO.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Imagine thinking a 1st time GM is going to be able to hit on the picks he gets from this trade with a greater impact than Will Anderson at arguably the 2nd most important position in football.
Defeatist thinking. But not without reason, of course. But I can just as easily imagine him doing exactly that as not, because we have no framing to say he can't. Its not like they hired ME to be general manager. They hired a lifer football guy who's been planning for this day his entire career. I refuse to accept he cant nail it. Til proven otherwise, of course.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Colts also traded #3 to the Jets in 2018.

Turned out pretty well for them.

Jets receive

No. 3 overall (2018): QB Sam Darnold

Colts receive

No. 6 overall (2018): LG Quenton Nelson
No. 37 overall (2018): RT Braden Smith
No. 52 overall (2018): DE Kemoko Turay
No. 169 overall (2018): RB Jordan Wilkins
No. 34 overall (2019): CB Rock Ya-Sin

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There are just as many 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th picks that succeed as 3rd picks.

I just don't buy this massive dropoff myth. And the chances of getting another starting caliber player with an additional 2nd is pretty important when we are missing about half the starters we need.

We aren't talking about filling in depth with this team we are talking about filling all the starters with starting caliber players. For example our current Defensive line are literally all street level free agent quality.
Point me to that Donald and Bosa tree Proximo! :biglaugh:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
kinda feel like there are two scenarios here:

1. Anderson is on the board and the Cards trade down vs.

2. Anderson is gone and the Cards trade down

in scenario 1: the Cards better get a gigantic haul of picks to compensate them for passing

in scenario 2: i have no issue

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
All the people lamenting the 2003 disaster are perfect examples of why the Cards would have been better of if Jimmy Johnson hadn’t created a draft value chart. That trade looked great on the chart. Here’s why it failed. You have to assess the player pool correctly. In that draft there was a huge fall off after pick 15 (of course there are always surprises). The Cards acquired picks 17 & 18. That’s why the strategy works so much better in this draft. This is one of the deepest pools ever. Most experts see 20+ round ones certainties. Potential starters extend into round 3. Trying to characterize this pool as the same as 2003 is erroneous. Every draft is different and while studying history is a valuable exercise, assuming the future is merely an extension of the past, is a logical error. However, the risk of passing on someone like Anderson necessitates an overpayment well beyond the chart.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Colts also traded #3 to the Jets in 2018.

Turned out pretty well for them.

Jets receive

No. 3 overall (2018): QB Sam Darnold

Colts receive

No. 6 overall (2018): LG Quenton Nelson
No. 37 overall (2018): RT Braden Smith
No. 52 overall (2018): DE Kemoko Turay
No. 169 overall (2018): RB Jordan Wilkins
No. 34 overall (2019): CB Rock Ya-Sin
The bottom 3 players aren’t even on the team anymore & Quenton Nelson had an awful year just then. At an already low-value position.

Far from the best example & an actual example of why NOT to trade back.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bottom 3 players aren’t even on the team anymore & Quenton Nelson had an awful year just then. At an already low-value position.

Far from the best example & an actual example of why NOT to trade back.
Already gave a great example with the Trey Lance trade.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
All the people lamenting the 2003 disaster are perfect examples of why the Cards would have been better of if Jimmy Johnson hadn’t created a draft value chart. That trade looked great on the chart. Here’s why it failed. You have to assess the player pool correctly. In that draft there was a huge fall off after pick 15 (of course there are always surprises). The Cards acquired picks 17 & 18. That’s why the strategy works so much better in this draft. This is one of the deepest pools ever. Most experts see 20+ round ones certainties. Potential starters extend into round 3. Trying to characterize this pool as the same as 2003 is erroneous. Every draft is different and while studying history is a valuable exercise, assuming the future is merely an extension of the past, is a logical error. However, the risk of passing on someone like Anderson necessitates an overpayment well beyond the chart.
I'm hearing the opposite from draft "experts" or at least this is what I'm hearing:

Only 20 players with a 1st round grade, meaning pick 21 is really the beginning of the 2nd round if all teams took a 1st round talent. There are some years where multiple 1st round talents are available even at pick 40. That shouldn't happen this year.

I see a good pool of 2nd and 3rd round talents though, so it isn't a bad year to have extra picks in that range.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the example?
Are you better off with
Option 1: Trey Lance (#3) Good comparison since it was the exact same pick.
Option 2: #12, 29, #94 and another 1st round pick. (3 1st rounders and a 3rd)

It isn't that you trade, it is what you do with the trade that counts.

The Dolphins turned those picks into Jaylen Waddle, Tyreek Hill, Bradley Chubb and Channing Tindall.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because yeah. Trey Lance and Anderson are suuuuuuch comparables LOLOLOLOLOL There is nothing in the least bit the same in the situation other than we have pick #3. If Anderson's gone, jump all over it. Otherwise, awww hell nooooo.
This EXACTLY proves my point. SF made the move, thinking that he was the answer and their franchise player. It shows that in this scenario, Dolphins made the right move for their franchise.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson