Cards hire Drew Petzing as their OC

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Was this before or after he declined to be interviewed in 2019?

He was only coordinator for a year and saw Wilks just shown the door after one year, certainly don't blame him for not wanting to consider coming here at that point.

Four years is a lifetime in the NFL.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
QQ - keep hearing about getting Brisset or Minshew...did McCoy retire or are we planning on cutting him? I think he has a 3.5m cap hit.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QQ - keep hearing about getting Brisset or Minshew...did McCoy retire or are we planning on cutting him? I think he has a 3.5m cap hit.
I don’t think you can realistically start a season with that guy, especially if there are questions how long Kyler’s absence will be.

We’re gonna have a new offense, new staff, likely new players on offense. Sticking with injury prone McCoy waves a white flag on the entire season from the get go, IMO. Those other two guys at least bring upside to the table.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, I don't think "Browns QB whisperer" is a guy I want running our offense. I'll give him a chance, but don't like the hire.
If your QB needs a “whisperer” that he’s probably out of reach at a psychological level. Kyler needs an upgrade at OC, which he has now. The leadership/study stuff is solely on Kyler.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you can realistically start a season with that guy, especially if there are questions how long Kyler’s absence will be.

We’re gonna have a new offense, new staff, likely new players on offense. Sticking with injury prone McCoy waves a white flag on the entire season from the get go, IMO. Those other two guys at least bring upside to the table.
For sure

We need to bring in someone who can start multiple games in a row

No way should we count on Colt to do that, he's too injury prone

Plus there's no way to know how many games KM will miss

Reactions: PJ1

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Petzing will be tasked with working with quarterback Kyler Murray whenever he is ready to return from a torn ACL he suffered late last season. Gannon said at his introductory news conference that one of his first tasks would be to find offensive coaches who he feels are the right fit to work with Murray.

The Cardinals finished 22nd in total offense last season and 21st in points per game.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You still keep him.
Or you draft a QB late, that seems like a purdy good approach because if he pans out you can use him as a backup or trade bait... but there is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping McCoy because Bissett would not be your backup to start the season :raccoon:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no indication that he doesn't know how to build game plans.

I would much rather Gannon hire his staff than the alternative...Michael and Monti hiring guys that might not work well on Gannon's staff.
Very true although I think it is fair to say that in his coaching career in the NFL it is highly unlikely he has done much towards game plans. We will find this out and I agree 100% that Gannon should be hiring his guys.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Bissett and he could be the starter unit Kyler returns which may be a while. McCoy would backup Bissett. We also should draft a late round qb to put on the Practice squad.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Very true although I think it is fair to say that in his coaching career in the NFL it is highly unlikely he has done much towards game plans. We will find this out and I agree 100% that Gannon should be hiring his guys.
He was a QB Coach. QB Coaches very much work in creating game plans.

He's tutored under Kevin Stefanski who is known to be a pretty sharp offensive mind.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The best part of the hire to me is they got a QB coach. Short of a successful OC (very hard to get) this was the best way to go. I would have preferred a more experience coach, but I’m willing to be open minded. I’m not one of those old guys who opposes youth. I do value experience though. I’m also not impressed Brissett had his best year. McCoy probably played his best ball under Kingsbury. I’m also not sure Petzing is a disciple of Van Pelt‘s offensive theory. I do know the Brown’s offense was decent and the Cards wasn’t. I think we know so little about Petzing, it’s hard to render a judgment. This staff will have to do an extensive amount of on-the-job learning. That is a valid concern.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson