Cards hire Drew Petzing as their OC

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah let's hire guys I don't know at all...
While I agree it is important for young coaches to do their due diligence. The fact that it was announced who the likely favorite OC before he was even hired makes you wonder how serious he took those other candidates.

Now tbf he's in a tough spot as its late in the game. He's trying to recreate Sirianni lets hope he has the same feel for coaches that Sirianni has.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah let's hire guys I don't know at all...
I think in many ways that is exactly what they have done. I mean 5 months ago virtually nobody on this board one these names at all.

It could turn out great and we all hope it does or it could be the alternative.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I agree it is important for young coaches to do their due diligence. The fact that it was announced who the likely favorite OC before he was even hired makes you wonder how serious he took those other candidates.

Now tbf he's in a tough spot as its late in the game. He's trying to recreate Sirianni lets hope he has the same feel for coaches that Sirianni has.
I don’t want him to recreate Sirianni I want him to create Gannon.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stefanski is part of the Reid coaching tree. His first major job came from Brad Childress, but Stefanski worked as an intern under Reid first and left with Childress went he jumped to the Vikings.

Yeah Childress was Westcoast as was Kubiak who Stefanski worked with.

Going to be interesting watching Kyler try pick up "Scatter Two Bunch Right Zip Fire 2 Jet Texas Right F Flat X- Q.” Another challenge for a first time OC.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think in many ways that is exactly what they have done. I mean 5 months ago virtually nobody on this board one these names at all.

It could turn out great and we all hope it does or it could be the alternative.
He was meaning that the HC is going to hire someone that he knows nothing about?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t want him to recreate Sirianni I want him to create Gannon.
Gannon said in his presser that he's going to follow Sirianni's plan. I thought he mean in terms of on the field stuff, but apparently in terms of putting together a staff as well.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I don’t know a huge amount about either coordinators if I’m honest - only what I’ve read since they were linked - which is all positive as individual coaches.

However, I’m very pleased that we are quite clearly all in on JG and these are ‘his’ staff to date. Sure, I’d like a sprinkling of experience across the positional coaches/consultants etc. but I much prefer the route we’re taking than going back to having coordinators pushed on the Head Coach.
This exactly.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Arent most of hires in the NFL nepotism in some way. More than not it’s who you know and are comfortable with
Yes, but the word here is cronyism. But that's basically life. Many people I know were hired through someone they knew.

But it's arguable that they are unqualified, so it may not be that bad.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does he know the system when the new OC has never had his own system?

Certainly some plays or variations will transfer over but he could have s a completely different offensive world view than what the Browns actually ran.
Should be some familiarity to working with him last year even though it will be Drews system

I would think?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Look at it this way. 3 years ago Chargers fans probably said "Why are we pairing this newbie Steichen with rookie Herbert?"

Except, I believe Steichen had been with the Chargers for 5 years or so before Herbert was drafted.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Positives:

1. No KK.
2. No KK.
3. No KK.

Could this be worse? Maybe. But, at least, no KK blank stare at his Whataburger menu play sheet. Hopefully very little, if any, behind the line lateral passes for losses. Can this guy call and coach the team to actually complete a screen pass for some yardage? I hope so.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think we need an experienced guy for that
This is where you bring in someone like Tom Moore or Norv Turner. I know Moore is done, but someone like him. Make them QB Coach/Senior Offensive Assistant. If you could make a position for Jim Bob ******, I think that could be a good get, too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He was meaning that the HC is going to hire someone that he knows nothing about.
So here is the thing about NFL coaching that we all should have learned from the venerable Bruce Arians during Amazon's All or Nothing: NFL coaches don't have time to teach, or very little time.

NFL is mostly about preparing players for the next week opponent and managing personalities.

Remember when Russ Grimm left what we heard OL day about him: he didn't teach much technique but told really cool stories. And Russ Grimm was viewed as a really good coach at one time.

My point is just because we have heard a name, it doesn't make a coach better. Give me young, smart, hungry coaches. Guys with energy and work ethic.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is where you bring in someone like Tom Moore or Norv Turner. I know Moore is done, but someone like him. Make them QB Coach/Senior Offensive Assistant. If you could make a position for Jim Bob ******, I think that could be a good get, too.
LOL c o o t e r is filtered.

Maybe he should change his name...

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
So here is the thing about NFL coaching that we all should have learned from the venerable Bruce Arians during Amazon's All or Nothing: NFL coaches don't have time to teach, or very little time.

Interesting. That is the one thing I have picked up from all the videos/interviews of Gannon and Rallis - its all about teaching/developing players.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Eh I dont see him taking a job his nephew just got fired from, lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard