Cards hire Nick Rallis as DC

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! That was great & well worth watching. I’m sure that while the Eagles LB’s were learning how to shed blocks, our LB’s were on one of many cell phone breaks:bang:
I'm finally excited that it seems that our coaching staff finally has the attitude of "How you do anything is his how you do everything."

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
My takeaways include that this surely means Gannon will call the defenses. It also likely means Gannon’s mention that he might call the offensive plays will surely go away. As I mentioned in a different post, considering the Cards investment in LBs, the team’s near term success will hinge on developing this unit. Rallis is generally regarded as a solid teacher; a skill the Cards have obviously lacked. This would seem to make it an absolute certainty the Cards will play Gannon’s bend but don’t break style of defense. Get ready to be patient. This weakens my certainty that the Cards will take Carter. Anderson may excite Rallis more. Don’t expect to see much blitzing. I am slightly concerned this may limit the points of view on defensive questions. I don‘t see this guy challenging Gannon very often. He was chosen because he‘s comfortable with the strategy. Fans will need to control expectations. The Eagles‘ personnel was in much better position to excel.

The Cards have big holes and with Watt gone, they have a major leadership deficiency in the front 7. The Eagles didn’t blitz because they didn’t have to blitz to pressure the QB. The Cards couldn’t pressure the QB without blitzing, except for Watt on occasion. Whether this defensive style can survive without that front 4 pressure, is a major question. If the defense fails, how patient will the fans be? Is Gannon flexible enough to devise a different defensive strategy? How quickly can the Cards assemble the needed personnel? I know getting Joseph to compensate for Kingsbury‘s lack of NFL HC experience didn’t work, but the Cards now have a staff with zero experience to guide them. Since the GM is also a rookie, that’s a great deal to learn on the fly. Bidwill hasn’t shown an affinity in the past for identifying a genius. There may be a significant knowledge gap that takes some time to correct. Failure isn’t certain, but I admire their sense of a challenge.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My takeaways include that this surely means Gannon will call the defenses. It also likely means Gannon’s mention that he might call the offensive plays will surely go away. As I mentioned in a different post, considering the Cards investment in LBs, the team’s near term success will hinge on developing this unit. Rallis is generally regarded as a solid teacher; a skill the Cards have obviously lacked. This would seem to make it an absolute certainty the Cards will play Gannon’s bend but don’t break style of defense. Get ready to be patient. This weakens my certainty that the Cards will take Carter. Anderson may excite Rallis more. Don’t expect to see much blitzing. I am slightly concerned this may limit the points of view on defensive questions. I don‘t see this guy challenging Gannon very often. He was chosen because he‘s comfortable with the strategy. Fans will need to control expectations. The Eagles‘ personnel was in much better position to excel.

The Cards have big holes and with Watt gone, they have a major leadership deficiency in the front 7. The Eagles didn’t blitz because they didn’t have to blitz to pressure the QB. The Cards couldn’t pressure the QB without blitzing, except for Watt on occasion. Whether this defensive style can survive without that front 4 pressure, is a major question. If the defense fails, how patient will the fans be? Is Gannon flexible enough to devise a different defensive strategy? How quickly can the Cards assemble the needed personnel? I know getting Joseph to compensate for Kingsbury‘s lack of NFL HC experience didn’t work, but the Cards now have a staff with zero experience to guide them. Since the GM is also a rookie, that’s a great deal to learn on the fly. Bidwill hasn’t shown an affinity in the past for identifying a genius. There may be a significant knowledge gap that takes some time to correct. Failure isn’t certain, but I admire their sense of a challenge.
The key to their defense may be what the Cards do in free agency. They do have the money and there will be many Eagles that are free agents. They know Gannon's defense and I expect some to sign here. Additionally, I'm not expecting a lot from the Cards this year but hoping they start plugging the many holes and be much more competitive in 2024 with Kyler back at full strength.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he’s this well respected and no in NFL circles is blinking at this hire at 29 I’m thinking there might be something nice there. Fingers crossed.

But holy hell . . . 29!!!
McVay was 27 when names OC in Washington and 30 when named HC in LA. I'm glad age isn't a factor in hiring quality coaches.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If this defense fails it could also be attributed to lack of talent. We all know we can’t possibly fill all the holes on this squad.
One thing we got is nobody will have a book on this group of coaches!

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Rallis will be inheriting a defense that gave up the second-most points per game in the NFL last season, was ranked 28th in third-down defense, 29th in red zone defense and 31st in goal-to-go defense. Arizona ranked 21st in total yards allowed per game and 22nd in yards per play.
Good. Nowhere to go but up.

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hoping for the best BUT...... 29 years old and once again we are going unconventional with these hires. Bidwill not paying for sh-t!
Season ticket holders getting charged 25% more are paying for these F ups.
Heaven help us. 4-13 again is my prediction.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
McVay was 27 when names OC in Washington and 30 when named HC in LA. In glad age isn't a factor in hiring quality coaches.
You have to recognize and raise up stars as soon as it’s apparent. No matter age. It’s still somewhat startling to see someone so close to the pinnacle of their career as such a tender age.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hope he has time to teach when he is the DC vs LB coach. Risky hire. Hope he proves he is worth it.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This and McVay is an anomaly
Is he or is that an old way of thinking?

I don't know the answer, and I'm not sure any of us do the answer. But i do know hiring retreads fails more often than not, and hiring established position coaches doesn't always workout, so I'm ok trying the younger route for someone that is highly though of.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Is he or is that an old way of thinking?

I don't know the answer, and I'm not sure any of us do the answer. But i do know hiring retreads fails more often than not, and hiring established position coaches doesn't always workout, so I'm ok trying the younger route for someone that is highly though of.
He's an anomaly and if not, it just justifies my own opinion that the quality of football is now mediocre which makes this outcome possible

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He’s going to be younger than some of his players. He has to earn credibility quickly like McVay did with guys like Whitworth.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm not sure. Apparently Rallis had interest from others. Why take the job where you don't call?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I'm not sure. Apparently Rallis had interest from others. Why take the job where you don't call?
Yeah, CBS even said 10 teams pursued him. I guess they thought. Since he could only be interviewed for a promotion, I guess they thought teams would fire their DCs to get him. I find that hard to believe. As far as I can see no other team requested to interview him. Hard to believe with that demand there was no urgency after the Cards hired Gannon. Gannon’s interest was reported. I agree he was well thought of, but time will tell if this is a coup. Sometimes young coaches are more confident ordering around younger guys instead of vets. I just wish Rallis had a little broader experience.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah, CBS even said 10 teams pursued him. I guess they thought. Since he could only be interviewed for a promotion, I guess they thought teams would fire their DCs to get him. I find that hard to believe. As far as I can see no other team requested to interview him. Hard to believe with that demand there was no urgency after the Cards hired Gannon. Gannon’s interest was reported. I agree he was well thought of, but time will tell if this is a coup. Sometimes young coaches are more confident ordering around younger guys instead of vets. I just wish Rallis had a little broader experience.
You don't know every request to interview. None of us do.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Hoping for the best BUT...... 29 years old and once again we are going unconventional with these hires. Bidwill not paying for sh-t!
Season ticket holders getting charged 25% more are paying for these F ups.
Heaven help us. 4-13 again is my prediction.

Anywhere between 3-14 and 7-10 is quite possible this coming season. However, that scenario is likely due to the lack of talent and Kyler probably missing significant time. Coaching may not be a huge factor overall and it will likely be year 2 and 3 before we get a clearer picture on how good the coaching staff is.

What we will hopefully see though is a team improving throughout the season. A team playing smart and keeping games close despite lacking talent. The bar will be pretty low and merely the team being competitive and not getting blown out every week will pretty much be a success.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This acquisition has The Oaken1 seal of approval.
The game is changing. The players are changing faster. I like that we are going after guys who are in the forefront of that change instead of guys who are watching it all pass by

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson