The Durant Sweepstakes

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Maybe but I doubt it had any bearing on the outcome of game 7.
I think it could have in a more macro sense. That team had no fight at that juncture. That’s usually the sign of a team that feels it has no answers for what’s facing them. The only reason for that - after being up 2-0 - is kidd took them outta their game completely. Having watched some clips of the defensive adjustment ana d offensive adjustments the mavs made, that would be my hypothesis.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty had trouble adjusting and was outcoached in the Clippers series but he outcoached the Clips in game 1 & 2 without CP3. Despite being out coached later on the Suns still won the series in 6 games. So I'm not sure why people point to that series to put down Monty's coaching.

I believe he failed to motivate the team and adjust to the Mavs this year but that was the only series where he was definitively outcoached. He didn't cost the team the series though so I think it's overstated.

Players were awful in that series and seemed to give up after getting the 2-0 lead. They were over confident and got punched in the mouth for it. That does fall on Monty partially and more than any one player but again I wouldn't say Monty's coaching cost the team the series.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty had trouble adjusting and was outcoached in the Clippers series but he outcoached the Clips in game 1 & 2 without CP3. Despite being out coached later on the Suns still won the series in 6 games. So I'm not sure why people point to that series to put down Monty's coaching.

I believe he failed to motivate the team and adjust to the Mavs this year but that was the only series where he was definitively outcoached. He didn't cost the team the series though so I think it's overstated.

Players were awful in that series and seemed to give up after getting the 2-0 lead. They were over confident and got punched in the mouth for it. That does fall on Monty partially and more than any one player but again I wouldn't say Monty's coaching cost the team the series.

Yeah, people call Monty a motivator and not a game coach, IMO, it is the opposite. We lost to Dallas because the players came out like zombies.

In virtually ever loss in the playoffs, it was mostly just flat out terrible shooting, guys missing wiiiide open looks, then getting afraid to take them, and the team as a whole getting out worked and losing almost every 50/50 ball.

I think Monty's tactics were fine, but the team needed a fire lit under them. He didn't really start to yell at them until the wheels flew off in game 7.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anthony Davis literally shut down until he forced his way to the Lakers. Ben Simmons did the same thing until he forced Philly to trade him. If Durant wants out and to a specific team, he can make that happen the same way AD, Harden and Simmons did.
I don't think Durant is that kind of player.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Harden did that exact thing in order to join Brooklyn. The Nets ended up landing Harden for cap filler and a boat load of picks.
Cap Filler and picks sounds good to me. Otherwise some other team can cripple their future for him. I doubt after being non-relevant for a decade that the Suns would trade 2 young players and all 4 picks and 3 swaps for Durant. I tell NJ to crap or get off the pot with a final offer. Then i go and use Crowder and filler with a pick or 2 to get a legit Rebounding 4 or a 3 & D guy who can actually hit a 3. Use the Taxpayer exception and get another combo guard/PG in case Payne is who he was last year

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Durant is that kind of player.

Apologize for besmirching a player the Suns are pursuing... but I absolutely think he is that type of player. He has proven that he has no loyalty, he has proven that his ego is fragile and his need for praise is massive.

I think those traits are beyond doubt. I don't admire Durant. But I do want the Suns to win a title, and he is an immense talent.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The whole "Monty can't coach" stuff is silly. We didn't blow a 4th quarter lead all year, we were one of the best late game teams in NBA history.

Against Dallas we had wide open look after wide open look... and we just flat out missed them over and over again. I don't know what the coach is supposed to do when basically everyone but Jae Crowder couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
Did I imagine the story about the team having a mini-Covid outbreak in the playoffs?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I imagine the story about the team having a mini-Covid outbreak in the playoffs?

Everyone has a theory on why the Suns didn't show up in game 7.

My opinion is it had something to do with Chris Paul being pushed out of a leadership role in some way.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he was absolutely outcoached in both clips and mavs series.

Oh the Bucks series he was taken to school

Once they started picking up Paul full court and trapping Booker it was over.

Paul takes forever on his own to get into the offense and once they started bothering him it threw us all out of wack

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Paul takes forever on his own to get into the offense and once they started bothering him it threw us all out of wack
I considered that, but couldn’t give Bud that much credit with our two best players allegedly playing dinged up.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Then the mavs pretty much copied it this year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I considered that, but couldn’t give Bud that much credit with our two best players allegedly playing dinged up.

I heard somewhere we lost those 4 games by a combined 18 points and the difference in free throws those 4 games? 18

It’s amazing how were healthy for 2 home games then everything goes left.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard somewhere we lost those 4 games by a combined 18 points and the difference in free throws those 4 games? 18

It’s amazing how were healthy for 2 home games then everything goes left.
Did you not see the difference in Paul's passing? No zip, no accuracy, no chance. And it wasn't because he was guarded by Holiday, it was while being guard by anyone and no one at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would we have to give up both Cam Johnson and Bridges for something to happen?

I think the Suns would have to give up at least one of Bridges or Johnson. My guess, most likely it would be Bridges.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Would we have to give up both Cam Johnson and Bridges for something to happen?

Theoretically, no. In practice, probably. Think about it from the Nets' perspective. What do the Suns have that you want? Bridges is clearly the best player that's available, and Cam Johnson is right behind him. Outside of that, you have expiring contracts in Saric, Crowder, Craig, and almost expiring (not fully guaranteed) contract like Shamet and Payne. Nobody is trading one of the top five players in the league for Saric, Crowder, Craig, Payne, and Shamet. The only way it would make sense is if the Nets are just trying to shed salary so they can go after someone next offseason. While they didn't want Ayton, Ayton was going to go somewhere else in exchange for something they would want. Now that Ayton is back, I don't see any other way than losing Bridges, and most likely Cam. At the very minimum, if the Suns get KD, they will lose Bridges.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Theoretically, no. In practice, probably. Think about it from the Nets' perspective. What do the Suns have that you want? Bridges is clearly the best player that's available, and Cam Johnson is right behind him. Outside of that, you have expiring contracts in Saric, Crowder, Craig, and almost expiring (not fully guaranteed) contract like Shamet and Payne. Nobody is trading one of the top five players in the league for Saric, Crowder, Craig, Payne, and Shamet. The only way it would make sense is if the Nets are just trying to shed salary so they can go after someone next offseason. While they didn't want Ayton, Ayton was going to go somewhere else in exchange for something they would want. Now that Ayton is back, I don't see any other way than losing Bridges, and most likely Cam. At the very minimum, if the Suns get KD, they will lose Bridges.
I think that might be the sticking point. The Suns will give up Mikal or Cam but not both. Mikal is the most likely to go. He is a DPOY candidate and a worthy trade piece. I think this deal will eventually get done. It will include Mikal but not Cam. I think the longer this goes, the better the deal works for the Suns.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If Durant has made it clear that he wants to be moved to the Suns and the Suns alone, I'm not sure how much the Nets can do to stop it.

How long can you hang on to a 34 year old making 40+ per year who is actively pushing for a trade?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson