The Ayton Plan

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
Is it strange that we haven't heard anything from Duffy or Ayton for 2-3 weeks? Even before FA started and we are now 10 days in. In my opinion they have a deal with the Suns or another team to their liking. Otherwise they would be squawking to all the talking heads.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it strange that we haven't heard anything from Duffy or Ayton for 2-3 weeks? Even before FA started and we are now 10 days in. In my opinion they have a deal with the Suns or another team to their liking. Otherwise they would be squawking to all the talking heads.
Not really that shocking.

They know the only way he is getting the full max is a sign and trade, so for the moment they are content to wait.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
If we move on from ayton I hope we don’t spend the rest of his career evaluating every game and swinging back and forth emotionally depending on how he plays.

I get that there’s cap space issues but its also interesting that there seems to be many teams who have no interest in trying to trade for him. So maybe league wide perception is close to what many of us feel here.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we move on from ayton I hope we don’t spend the rest of his career evaluating every game and swinging back and forth emotionally depending on how he plays.

I get that there’s cap space issues but its also interesting that there seems to be many teams who have no interest in trying to trade for him. So maybe league wide perception is close to what many of us feel here.
Oh, I am already sure he is going to get much better and people will be pissed we let him go, but honestly it's too late too change anything. The decision has been made.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Aytons "league wide perception" is exactly what the front office wanted it to be. Before KD was a thing.
I wont take the rest of his career. When he gets on a team that ONLY expects CENTER things from him he's gonna be a ******* monster.
And all the Nitwits crying about him being soft and staying up late WILL come to the forums trying to say that they wanted him all along.
If they move Ayton no matter who they get back its a failure, it just is.
I'm not impressed.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aytons "league wide perception" is exactly what the front office wanted it to be. Before KD was a thing.
I wont take the rest of his career. When he gets on a team that ONLY expects CENTER things from him he's gonna be a ******* monster.
And all the Nitwits crying about him being soft and staying up late WILL come to the forums trying to say that they wanted him all along.
I'm not impressed.

It’s gonna be predictable af

I never said Ayton sucks I’ve just spent four years calling him a ***** but I never said he sucks

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh, I guarantee it will happen. Unless we're win the title that first year we're going to get 2 or 3 solid years of updates every time Ayton posts a 20-10, same for when he posts a 8-4 in 30 minutes.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I'm not impressed.
So how much do you think the improvement until now is cp3? Will he stay on the same path, or revert backwards if traded? I think some pure scorers get big numbers on trash teams but Ayton seems to thrive in a more flow based offense. His shot creation has gotten better but he still gets a lot of points from lobs, cleaning the glass or open mid range jumpers.

just wondering if he’s put as a true center, will he improve his current production? I’m not sure.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how much do you think the improvement until now is cp3? Will he stay on the same path, or revert backwards if traded? I think some pure scorers get big numbers on trash teams but Ayton seems to thrive in a more flow based offense. His shot creation has gotten better but he still gets a lot of points from lobs, cleaning the glass or open mid range jumpers.

just wondering if he’s put as a true center, will he improve his current production? I’m not sure.
Almost none of it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the lobs, pick and rolls and getting on him from cp3 didn’t contribute to his improvement?
Every point guard throws lobs, every PG runs the pick and roll with a big man that can move and shoot. Ayton still scored on lobs and pick and rolls and mid range jumpers when Paul was out for Covid just like he scored on those things before we traded for CP. Maybe getting on him has helped a little but I suspect, very little if at all. Ayton is easygoing but not everyone likes to be yelled at all the time.

If you watch this team regularly, you already know that Ayton isn't just another offensive version of DeAndre Jordan.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
as bad as it was for Ayton to be yelled at, i'm afraid he would have been less productive without out it.
back to "i'm the best" remark. he just doesn't get what it takes

and it's not really true that every point can efficiently set up bigs
and, certainly, not as good as Paul.
when Paul went out our center production completely dried up
-- but, it did recover when Payne found his groove for 2 weeks
-- but, that was the only 2 weeks of the season that he was on point, figuratively

in fact, even playing with Paul, Ayton would bobble passes and have difficulty getting open
and that's why the plays drifted away from him after first quarters

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
If Ayton does get traded...I honestly won't miss constantly honing in on him during games and seeing him get out muscled vs a 6' PG. There's a reason the demand for him isn't high. Just turn on some tape and watch teams put guys half his size on him and be effective defending him or out rebounding him. The remark he made before the Mavs series about how he thinks it's disrespectful teams put smaller guys on him...well... look in the mirror bud. Any leader would get on his a$$, and I don't blame them one bit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my theory on why Ayton hasn't signed an offer sheet as well. He is copperating with the Suns to do a sign-and-trade.

Or perhaps there is a financial benefit to signing him later.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Every point guard throws lobs, every PG runs the pick and roll with a big man that can move and shoot. Ayton still scored on lobs and pick and rolls and mid range jumpers when Paul was out for Covid just like he scored on those things before we traded for CP. Maybe getting on him has helped a little but I suspect, very little if at all. Ayton is easygoing but not everyone likes to be yelled at all the time.

If you watch this team regularly, you already know that Ayton isn't just another offensive version of DeAndre Jordan.
I guess I look at ayton in a way that him on another team might not be as good as he is right now. I doubt he’s at his ceiling, but it’s seeming like the Suns feel this way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as bad as it was for Ayton to be yelled at, i'm afraid he would have been less productive without out it.
back to "i'm the best" remark. he just doesn't get what it takes

and it's not really true that every point can efficiently set up bigs
and, certainly, not as good as Paul.
when Paul went out our center production completely dried up
-- but, it did recover when Payne found his groove for 2 weeks
-- but, that was the only 2 weeks of the season that he was on point, figuratively

in fact, even playing with Paul, Ayton would bobble passes and have difficulty getting open
and that's why the plays drifted away from him after first quarters
That's not accurate.

The first game that CP was out, Ayton only scored 6 points but we were minus our backup PG too. The first time Paul and Booker were both out, he was held to 8 points. And then, when Payne was out again after being back several games, Ayton again was held below his average, scoring just 12 points. But the rest of the games that Chris was out, Ayton went for 20, 23, 18, 30, 21, 19, 16, 23, 18, 23, 20 and 35. With excellent efficiency. While CP was out DA shot 133 for 198. Can't beat that.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is my theory on why Ayton hasn't signed an offer sheet as well. He is copperating with the Suns to do a sign-and-trade.

Yeah I’ve also seen the Durant/Irving thing has the league held hostage

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's not accurate.

The first game that CP was out, Ayton only scored 6 points but we were minus our backup PG too. The first time Paul and Booker were both out, he was held to 8 points. And then, when Payne was out again after being back several games, Ayton again was held below his average, scoring just 12 points. But the rest of the games that Chris was out, Ayton went for 20, 23, 18, 30, 21, 19, 16, 23, 18, 23, 20 and 35. With excellent efficiency. While CP was out DA shot 133 for 198. Can't beat that.

People here have no idea what they got in a 23 year old. He certainly has his flaws but these perfect players everyone wants don’t really exist.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I look at ayton in a way that him on another team might not be as good as he is right now. I doubt he’s at his ceiling, but it’s seeming like the Suns feel this way.
You're not alone, a lot of people here and elsewhere think this way. I think you're all nuts.:)

Seriously, I think there's a small but legitimate concern that Ayton's motivation might slip after getting his big contract. But short of that happening or a serious injury, I think he's just touched on his potential and we will rue the day we let him go. If we let him go.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's in his interest to do so.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson