2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
this is totally wrong. They offered him 5 for 45 when he wanted 5 for 50 the summer of 2004. He wasn’t offered anything NEAR the Max in that 2004 off-season... and he broke out in 2003-4 when he really came on in the second half of the year averaging 19/5/5 once Marbury was traded.

let’s not litigate this again. Server blew that one by haggling over 1 mill per year for a guy who took a MASSIVE leap from Season 1 to 2 and getting him at that salary would have been a coup. We blew it, it soured the relationship and the next summer JJ was offered the boffo contact from the Hawks.

It happened. It blew. Let’s move on.

I already went back and acknowledged it wasn’t close to the max and that Sarver looked cheap over a $5m difference but I remember that transition year post-Starbury and JJ wasn’t anything special. It was a lot of inefficient scoring on a bad team. We knew he had potential but the plan was to showcase him for a Kobe or T-Mac trade. The Suns were willing to match but he wanted to be the man for an irrelevant Hawks franchise. Both sides lost that one.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I already went back and acknowledged it wasn’t close to the max and that Sarver looked cheap over a $5m difference but I remember that transition year post-Starbury and JJ wasn’t anything special. It was a lot of inefficient scoring on a bad team. We knew he had potential but the plan was to showcase him for a Kobe or T-Mac trade. The Suns were willing to match but he wanted to be the man for an irrelevant Hawks franchise. Both sides lost that one.

He had showed a heck of a lot more than Jalen Smith has shown this far, and yet people here are saying that Jalen Smith deserves to be in the rotation on a championship contender and are anointing him as our starting power forward as soon as two years from now...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He had showed a heck of a lot more than Jalen Smith has shown this far, and yet people here are saying that Jalen Smith deserves to be in the rotation on a championship contender and are anointing him as our starting power forward as soon as two years from now...

Quit it already. You're totally misrepresenting what has been said. Hoping Stix can be a starter in a couple of years isn't anointing him. You should know this by now but you continue to repeat the same nonsense that have gotten you banned a half dozen times, at least, by now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had showed a heck of a lot more than Jalen Smith has shown this far, and yet people here are saying that Jalen Smith deserves to be in the rotation on a championship contender and are anointing him as our starting power forward as soon as two years from now..
That's an absurd comparison. Joe was up and down but more up than down. Smith has been down, that's it. But who are these posters here that are supposedly saying Smith "deserves" to be in the rotation? I haven't seen them.

Also, don't you feel a little nauseous when you follow up a post filled with doom and gloom for our future with another post where you call us a "championship contender"?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope we can, but my concern is that history is now repeating itself, including with Ayton and Bridges.

History is repeating itself alright...

Not even a year ago you were ranting that Crowder was a terrible signing and we should have signed Taj Gibson or Paul Millsap.

We've still go 6 weeks to go until the season starts, there is no telling how many more things you can be profoundly wrong about.

I personally am excited for the inevitable moment when you declare Paul as totally cooked or that Booker secretly has demanded a trade when they don't light up the first half of a preseason game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keita Bates-Diop returns to Spurs on a two year contract.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Prayers up for Ced......

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cedric you are in my thoughts and prayers.

You can beat this!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns do have a roster spot available without trading Saric or Stix. If they can fill it with the right player there may be no need for a trade.

Admittedly it's like a poker game. No one knows what cards the other teams will play.

Some in the media have speculated that Thad Young only wants to play for Phoenix.

Forget trust the process, Trust the culture.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry Giles will sign a non-guaranteed contract with Clippers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me know if you've heard this before...

T.J. Warren is out indefinitely for the Pacers as he recovers from surgery he had last year to repair a break in his left foot which caused him to miss all but 4 games during the 2020-21 season.

Uproxx.com/dimemag/tj-warren-indiana-pacers-injury-update-stress-fracture-foot/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

T.J. Warren is out indefinitely for the Pacers as he recovers from surgery he had last year to repair a break in his left foot which caused him to miss all but 4 games during the 2020-21 season.

Trading T.J. Warren with a second round pick is not looking as bad as it once was.

He will be a free agent next season. The injury could cost him some money.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trading T.J. Warren with a second round pick is not looking as bad as it once was.

He will be a free agent next season. The injury could cost him some money.

I wasn't happy with the trade at first but it turned out great for us. It's funny because I'm pretty sure if he was dealt for an expiring contract it would have been accepted better. You don't see teams give up on players for nothing like JJ did with TJ. He freed up enough cap space to make some moves that needed to be made because we werent going anywhere with TJ. We may have been able to get more in a trade but JJ had eyes on Rubio, who was a great fit at PG for this young team. It worked out and took balls for JJ to do it because it could have been really bad.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

i read he was playing on it already. It’s a part of the foot difficult to get to with little blood flow. I would put too much into that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i read he was playing on it already. It’s a part of the foot difficult to get to with little blood flow. I would put too much into that.

The Pacers said he's out indefinitely as he's not healing as quickly as they anticipated. So while it may not be an issue right now, since camp has started, it seems they are preparing fans for him not being available when the team reports next month.

I like TJ, it sucks that he's hurt because he showed out in the bubble but it's becoming clearer by the day that a team can't depend on him as a primary piece.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Fair enough. But if he plays like he did in the G League last year and in the Summer League this year, it could cause the entire team to implode. As in miss the playoffs, CP3/Booker/Ayton all asking out, this team repeating the decade before last season implode. (And for those saying "but Booker has multiple years left on his deal", look no further than what is happening at this very minute with Ben Simmons.)

Not at all worth that risk, in my opinion. Stix has not shown anywhere near enough to warrant taking it. And it's not for lack of effort on Stix's part. He just has a strange physical composition, where his upper body is disproportionate to his lower body, no matter how much work he puts in the weight room. I believe that is what accounts for his very poor physical coordination and awkward gait.
OK, we got to the Finals without Stix. Causing the team to implode is a bit of an exaggeration.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to see E'Twaun Moore land on his feet.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK, we got to the Finals without Stix. Causing the team to implode is a bit of an exaggeration.

I missed that post. I was distracted by other nonsense he was pushing. That right there is top comedy though. Like for real, playing Stix will cause CP3, Booker, and Ayton to ask for trades. Good lord. When did Stix become the most cancerous player in NBA history? That's literally what he's saying.

When has a teams 3 best players refused to play with a second year guy who might see garbage minutes most nights? Has that ever happened in any sport?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

the best ability is availability.

you flat out cannot count on this guy to be on the court.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We weren't counting on him to play minutes...except in a few games in the beginning of the season when we struggled to the 8-8 start, looked like we might miss the playoffs and appeared about to implode...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We weren't counting on him to play minutes...except in a few games in the beginning of the season when we struggled to the 8-8 start, looked like we might miss the playoffs and appeared about to implode...
More silly stuff. Jalen played 34 minutes total in the first 16 games, almost half of those minutes came in our opening win against Dallas where he was a plus 6. And he was unavailable for 12 of the first 16 games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson