Roster ideas and rumors for Suns

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only if he is bought out which seems unlikely at the moment.

The Suns would have to come close to matching salaries in a trade. Thad has a $14,190,000 million expiring contract.

Saric makes only $8,510,000 million.

Can the suns come within 75% of that 14M to get it done. I'm sure the spurs want more though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can the suns come within 75% of that 14M to get it done. I'm sure the spurs want more though.

There really aren't any good options.

Later in the season when eligible for trade the Suns might include a couple of minimum contracts and Saric and get it done.

I'm not including any important players for the Suns.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Can you sign guys off the street to sign and trade to get Young? That's the only way I see we can trade for him without trading anyone we have now,

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you sign guys off the street to sign and trade to get Young? That's the only way I see we can trade for him without trading anyone we have now,

Sign me up for a few million. :rockon:

I don't think Sarver wants to pay the luxury tax though.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's no way we're getting Thad without trading Stix with Saric. Sure we could send Cam Johnson instead of Stix but that would be idiotic.

There's basically no way it only costs Stix and Saric or I believe the trade would have been made already. I imagine San Antonio wants picks since they're in the driver seat. I can't blame them because they might be able to squeeze a 1st from someone else along with an expiring if they bide their time.

Young himself is expiring and we're asking them to take on extra salary in the 22-23 season to send him to us rather than letting him expire. They'll probably want something more than Stix.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's no way we're getting Thad without trading Stix with Saric. Sure we could send Cam Johnson instead of Stix but that would be idiotic.

There's basically no way it only costs Stix and Saric or I believe the trade would have been made already. I imagine San Antonio wants picks since they're in the driver seat. I can't blame them because they might be able to squeeze a 1st from someone else along with an expiring if they bide their time.

Young himself is expiring and we're asking them to take on extra salary in the 22-23 season to send him to us rather than letting him expire. They'll probably want something more than Stix.
Flex is saying there is a chance they buy him out, because he does not want to be there, and the Suns are just playing a waiting game.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Flex is saying there is a chance they buy him out, because he does not want to be there, and the Suns are just playing a waiting game.
This is the smart move. Don't give up any assets and get Young for rest of exception money rather than paying $14M.

Keep and develop Smith who could be starting PF in a year or two and under a rookie contract when we hit max deal for Ayton.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a Spurs team that should be keen on improving, Stix and Saric for Thad Young is not a bad trade providing they like Smith's potential. If any team can develop him the Spurs can. And Saric should become an asset next season if not earlier.

If the Suns have not lost confidence in Stix they should keep him and look for buyouts.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only throwing another name out there.

I wonder if the Suns would have any interest in 25 year old 6'7" power forward Alize Johnson for the minimum?

He was waived by the Nets.

Johnson would be sort of a replacement for Torrey Craig.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I wonder if the Suns would have any interest in 25 year old 6'7" power forward Alize Johnson for the minimum?

I wouldn't mind taking a look at him. He has less than 4 years so I believe he can sign a Two-Way deal also.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind taking a look at him. He has less than 4 years so I believe he can sign a Two-Way deal also.

I think Alize Johnson would be worth a look. It's hard to know who the Suns have their eye on.

I'm thinking he is worth a minimum contract but a two-way contract would be even better.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

For the 15th roster spot... I know we could do worse, but if a power forward is that short, they need to be at least some sort of threat from the outside.

With McGee, a guy who never leaves the paint, as the reserve 5, if we're looking for need over potential, I think we need someone who is at least a mild perimeter threat at the 4.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Speaking of guys who should be able to spread the court... I don't get what happened to Frank the Tank's range. Guy was a terror in college from the outside, and clutch as hell. His NBA career is an odd one. He's pretty lousy from the outside but he works hard and chips in enough here and there to the point he is a decent reserve. Basically the opposite of what he was drafted as.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Speaking of guys who should be able to spread the court... I don't get what happened to Frank the Tank's range. Guy was a terror in college from the outside, and clutch as hell. His NBA career is an odd one. He's pretty lousy from the outside but he works hard and chips in enough here and there to the point he is a decent reserve. Basically the opposite of what he was drafted as.
Inconsistent minutes and poor athletic ability to keep on the court for long periods of time. Virtually no time to get into any kind of rhythm.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the 15th roster spot... I know we could do worse, but if a power forward is that short, they need to be at least some sort of threat from the outside.

With McGee, a guy who never leaves the paint, as the reserve 5, if we're looking for need over potential, I think we need someone who is at least a mild perimeter threat at the 4.

I've been scouring teams that have waived and bought out players. There will be more. He would probably be a small ball 4/5.

If the Suns add a player via a buyout/waivers, there is still a chance Stix can still develop. I like the idea no matter how slim the chance.

Also Smith and Saric might become players for the Suns next season or trade chips if the Suns decide to make another move.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been scouring teams that have waived and bought out players. There will be more. He would probably be a small ball 4/5.

If the Suns add a player via a buyout/waivers, there is still a chance Stix can still develop. I like the idea no matter how slim the chance.

Also Smith and Saric might become players for the Suns next season or trade chips if the Suns decide to make another move.

Saric is out for the season, playoffs as well. He didn't have surgery until August and most players miss 9-12 months from a torn ACL. I will personally contribute as much as him on the court this year. Stix might be a player but Saric is a tradable contract at this point and nothing more until the 22-23 season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric is out for the season, playoffs as well. He didn't have surgery until August and most players miss 9-12 months from a torn ACL. I will personally contribute as much as him on the court this year. Stix might be a player but Saric is a tradable contract at this point and nothing more until the 22-23 season.

I think Saric has value as a trade chip around the trade deadline. It's not just his contract because he should hopefully be back for the 2022-23 season and be a contributor on a very reasonable contract.

He definitely shouldn't be expected to contribute this season.

The point I'm trying to make, if Stix develops and Saric returns the following seasons they could be valuable assets as players for the Suns.

Also both players could be used in a trade later this season if the Suns chose to do so.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Saric has value as a trade chip around the trade deadline. It's not just his contract because he should hopefully be back for the 2022-23 season and be a contributor on a very reasonable contract.

He definitely shouldn't be expected to contribute this season.

The point I'm trying to make, if Stix develops and Saric returns the following seasons they could be valuable assets as players for the Suns.

Also both players could be used in a trade later this season if the Suns chose to do so.

Ok, I agree for the most part. The way you worded that had me thinking you believed Saric would return this season. All good.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadoro thinks a trade for Thad Young is unlikely.

I think there are plenty of minutes for Young if the Suns added him. Torrey Craig averaged 18 minutes a game with Phoenix.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Phoenix is hoping Thad Young will be bought out or possibly a negotiating tactic?

The Suns reportedly still like him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what Flex From Jersey is saying.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson