2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because they don't analyze it solely as which is the best team. Odds are set to get as much money as possible bet.

If the best team (most likely to win) isn't given the best odds (least return on a successful bet), isn't that unfavorable to the books?

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You're right on the higher number meaning its less likely. As for the others, if you were to bet $100 dollars on the Bucks winning the title then you'd win $160 if they won, $100 on the Suns would give you $275, and so on.

So you stand to win more if you bet on the Hawks but they're viewed as the least likely to win, so you could win big but its a longshot.

The numbers signify odds but its not easy as easy saying 2 to 1 odds because the odds are a bit more precise than that. However if its listed as a positive then it breaks down like above, betting $100 will win you the amount shown.

Thanks for the break down.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is weird to me. The Suns were the favorites before the Bucks Nets game, so why does the winner of the Bucks Nets game then vault them ahead as favorites? Or is this because it was announced Paul was definitely missing game 1?
Prior to the bucks/nets game the suns had already advanced to the conference finals whereas the other two still had not. So at that juncture who had a better chance of winning the title? The team who had already advanced.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
It looked like before the season started it would be the Lakers and Nets in the Finals yet here we are.
I think that fitness issues stemming from a tough regular season schedule have possibly caused some playoff injuries or at the least caused some playoff fitness issues. then teams like the lakers that for me took the throttle back in the regular season, well they barely made the playoffs, and they got beat down by the suns very deservingly. I don't understand why media just expect them to flip a switch overnight.

Either way, this playoffs a lot of players have dealt with injuries that have caused them not to play. Chris Paul has had some issues. Obviously Suns know this from some of their prior playoff times so I hope the Suns stay healthy, get Paul back, and take advantage of the moment. The Clippers are a strong team. Everyone on their roster can shoot and drive to the basket. they are physical. the thing that concerned me when they played Dallas is that they looked like they lacked confidence and at times would just watch Kawhi carry them. but they really have stepped up in a big way. I would not count them out even without Kawhi.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that fitness issues stemming from a tough regular season schedule have possibly caused some playoff injuries or at the least caused some playoff fitness issues. then teams like the lakers that for me took the throttle back in the regular season, well they barely made the playoffs, and they got beat down by the suns very deservingly. I don't understand why media just expect them to flip a switch overnight.

Either way, this playoffs a lot of players have dealt with injuries that have caused them not to play. Chris Paul has had some issues. Obviously Suns know this from some of their prior playoff times so I hope the Suns stay healthy, get Paul back, and take advantage of the moment. The Clippers are a strong team. Everyone on their roster can shoot and drive to the basket. they are physical. the thing that concerned me when they played Dallas is that they looked like they lacked confidence and at times would just watch Kawhi carry them. but they really have stepped up in a big way. I would not count them out even without Kawhi.

This is what is really frustrating and a downer for me.

The Suns have managed to stay relatively healthy throughout the season only to see health and safety protocols put Chris Paul out of action in the Western Conference Finals. The Suns were one of those teams that played full throttle all season.

I agree with your assessment of the Clippers. I was hoping for Paul to control tempo and hit clutch shots.
Also the Clippers are a lot like the Suns in that they use their quickness especially on defense to frustrate opponents.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Prior to the bucks/nets game the suns had already advanced to the conference finals whereas the other two still had not. So at that juncture who had a better chance of winning the title? The team who had already advanced.
Prior to that game the Nets were -250 and we were -350. The next closest wasn’t very close and now the Bucks have vaulted to the top.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Prior to that game the Nets were -250 and we were -350. The next closest wasn’t very close and now the Bucks have vaulted to the top.
Guess the odds makers see Paul out indefinitely and bucks getting over the nets hump as significant developments.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This is what is really frustrating and a downer for me.

The Suns have managed to stay relatively healthy throughout the season only to see health and safety protocols put Chris Paul out of action in the Western Conference Finals. The Suns were one of those teams that played full throttle all season.

I agree with your assessment of the Clippers. I was hoping for Paul to control tempo and hit clutch shots.
Also the Clippers are a lot like the Suns in that they use their quickness especially on defense to frustrate opponents.
So is Paul out for one game (day to day) or is he out for some specific time?

and I think teams should be questioning the NBA schedule as well as the amount of time off they give to their players to rest and recover. obviously if they are injured or sick they can't play, but some of these days off for precautionary rest maybe doesn't always prep a player for the grind of playoff time. certainly you cannot prep for the amount of running unless you are playing the games. good on the suns for playing hard all year. I question the mavericks handling of KP as compared to say Luka.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is Paul out for one game (day to day) or is he out for some specific time?

and I think teams should be questioning the NBA schedule as well as the amount of time off they give to their players to rest and recover. obviously if they are injured or sick they can't play, but some of these days off for precautionary rest maybe doesn't always prep a player for the grind of playoff time. certainly you cannot prep for the amount of running unless you are playing the games. good on the suns for playing hard all year. I question the mavericks handling of KP as compared to say Luka.

Chris Paul is out and on day-to-day status or however they term that. It could be one game or he could miss more.

It wouldn't hurt one bit to push the series start back to Tuesday and it would benefit both teams. A study I read shows it really doesn't change things if a player rests. Of course if a player is out because of a legitimate injury it has to change things.

I don't know if the Mavericks treated Porzingis and Doncic differently but I could see on the court, Luka had to carry too much of the load. He looked exhausted at times and definitely needs more help for next season. Seth Curry would have helped the team a lot but of course they traded him.

A player I liked in the 2020 draft who I think may be good eventually is Tyrell Terry.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Chris Paul is out and on day-to-day status or however they term that. It could be one game or he could miss more.

It wouldn't hurt one bit to push the series start back to Tuesday and it would benefit both teams. A study I read shows it really doesn't change things if a player rests. Of course if a player is out because of a legitimate injury it has to change things.

I don't know if the Mavericks treated Porzingis and Doncic differently but I could see on the court, Luka had to carry too much of the load. He looked exhausted at times and definitely needs more help for next season. Seth Curry would have helped the team a lot but of course they traded him.

A player I liked in the 2020 draft who I think may be good eventually is Tyrell Terry.
ok, I really hope Paul comes back and is able to finally get that ring. of all the older players left he is the one I want to see get it. he's had a lot of bad breaks go against him and now this.

I think the player resting is a case by case basis. there is not a broad term that can be applied to all players, but of corse that's just my opinion, different people will say different things with analytics these days. I think it is proven that your cardio levels will drop quickly, sometimes as soon as a week if you take time off from running the court. I understand the idea of not wanting to play back to backs. I think if you look at SA it was a unique situation because of the exceptional coach and the amount of mature hall of fame players that they had at their disposal, combined with their playoff experience and knowledge of playoff requirements. Of corse SA were aided by the fact that they had Kawhi to win that last ring.

KP played very well last playoffs albeit with different matchups, and then tore his menesicus, which his recovery bled over to this season. but he missed a lot of games this year after his recovery where his injury status was unclear. it's hard to say what the reason is, it could be as simple as the NBA schedule being altered and he was thrown off of his routine, or it could be that he struggling to hold up for an entire season. either way he did not look ready for the playoffs. At times it looked like he played with high effort, but other times you didn't even notice that he was on the court. Carlisle says his game planning was to not have him involved as much at the offensive end.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, I really hope Paul comes back and is able to finally get that ring. of all the older players left he is the one I want to see get it. he's had a lot of bad breaks go against him and now this.

I think the player resting is a case by case basis. there is not a broad term that can be applied to all players, but of corse that's just my opinion, different people will say different things with analytics these days. I think it is proven that your cardio levels will drop quickly, sometimes as soon as a week if you take time off from running the court. I understand the idea of not wanting to play back to backs. I think if you look at SA it was a unique situation because of the exceptional coach and the amount of mature hall of fame players that they had at their disposal, combined with their playoff experience and knowledge of playoff requirements. Of corse SA were aided by the fact that they had Kawhi to win that last ring.

KP played very well last playoffs albeit with different matchups, and then tore his menesicus, which his recovery bled over to this season. but he missed a lot of games this year after his recovery where his injury status was unclear. it's hard to say what the reason is, it could be as simple as the NBA schedule being altered and he was thrown off of his routine, or it could be that he struggling to hold up for an entire season. either way he did not look ready for the playoffs. At times it looked like he played with high effort, but other times you didn't even notice that he was on the court. Carlisle says his game planning was to not have him involved as much at the offensive end.

How I wish it was the Suns and Mavericks in the Western Conference Finals. Now that would have been fun!

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Nets loose. Haaahahhahah! I laughed and laughed.

You must be registered for see images attach

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I don't care about Paul finally getting a ring, I'm talking about The Phoenix Suns. How many have they? Did Charles, KJ or Chambers get a ring? Thunder Dan? Nash? (Dallas doesn't count obviously) Amaré? Let's get one for everybody.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't care about Paul finally getting a ring, I'm talking about The Phoenix Suns. How many have they? Did Charles, KJ or Chambers get a ring? Thunder Dan? Nash? (Dallas doesn't count obviously) Amaré? Let's get one for everybody.
Exactly. Be selfish. We are one as a group of fanatics. Let's do it for the Suns players (past and present) and us! We got that collective fandom behind this team to carry us through any storm!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Be selfish. We are one as a group of fanatics. Let's do it for the Suns players (past and present) and us! We got that collective fandom behind this team to carry us through any storm!

ALL OF THIS.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, after bashing Middleton as a Marion-esque playoff tortilla pretender, gotta give him props for his play in the Nets series. Dude came up HUGE when most of the series and when they needed him most.

I look forward to beating him in the Finals.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
for me its win win. as a mavs fan who spent four years living in phoenix, I've been to suns/mavs games, suns/lakers games and mavs/suns players kind of switched sides more than once over the years. More importantly I want the suns to win one for their fans, but yes CP3 of all the older superstars that are around is one I want to see win. for someone like him, there's something about that championship that makes everything a little bit sweeter.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
How I wish it was the Suns and Mavericks in the Western Conference Finals. Now that would have been fun!
absolutely, I lived in phoenix when the mavericks and suns had so many memorable games from 2005-2009. even some of those regular season games were so incredible. I'm so glad to see the suns doing well again.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Halftime and Ben Simmons hasn’t attempted a shot

He’s scared- Barkley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr