Interesting trade scenario.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Let's say Tampa Bay really covets a certain player (insert name) & we're dead set on any of the top 3 WR's. We know 1 of the 3 (Jeudy, Lamb or Ruggs) will be available at #14. Tampa offers to trade the #14 to us for #8, plus we throw in DJ straight up. If any of you were the GM, would you do it? We would still get a top WR & clear the entire contract of his from the books. I think we would still have to pay his 6 million signing bonus though in 2020? This trade would need to be made before FA starts though, we could use the money saved from DJ & sign a couple FA's. Tampa has around 85 million in cap space so they could afford it. Our pick at #14 in this scenario doesn't have to be a WR, it could be whoever we really want & feel secure about being there. Maybe this sounds crazy but the idea came to me today thinking about the FA period getting close.

No offense to you--outside the box ideas are great--but this is aimed at the post and the notion in it:

Not even SK is this stupid.

1)If it needs to be done before FA, the draft is still a giant ?, so this won't work.
2)There's absolutely no guarantees that the player you want will be there.
3)You need to want a player, not be happy with any of X at one position. Just terrible draft strategy.
4)No flipping way am I ever going to be behind a trade down like this purely to get a contract off the books. Keim won't do it because it will make him look like a moron several times over.
5)If I'm never making a trade down like this purely to get a contract off the books, I sure in HELL ain't doing it to move out of the top 10. NEVER.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No offense to you--outside the box ideas are great--but this is aimed at the post and the notion in it:

1)If it needs to be done before FA, the draft is still a giant ?, so this won't work.
3)You need to want a player, not be happy with any of X at one position. Just terrible draft strategy.
4)No flipping way am I ever going to be behind a trade down like this purely to get a contract off the books. Keim won't do it because it will make him look like a moron several times over.
5)If I'm never making a trade down like this purely to get a contract off the books, I sure in HELL ain't doing it to move out of the top 10. NEVER.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Good points.

I know there's no guarantees in the draft on who will & who won't be there. Having said that. There's also teams that talk to one another & don't just smokescreen when it's gonna benefit both parties.

SK has already done enough to seem like a moron lol.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How should that work.

first of, we would need to trade him now, second we would have only 4 mio more, and I'm not even sure on that one, since we are on the hook for all the bonus that he gets from my understanding if traded. So basically another 2.1 mio Dollar.

But nevertheless, trading him now would be bad IMHO
We are on the hook for his 6 million signing bonus in 2020 regardless. Even if traded. 6 million. It was SK's brilliant idea to backload his contract with the signing bonus mainly at the end instead of up front. If we trade him, that leaves 10.5 million in cap space. Use 6 million on Drake (hopefully that's his price?) & that leaves 4.5 million on a FA. As others have suggested in this thread, ask for a 2nd or 3rd also.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are on the hook for his 6 million signing bonus in 2020 regardless. Even if traded. 6 million. It was SK's brilliant idea to backload his contract with the signing bonus mainly at the end instead of up front. If we trade him, that leaves 10.5 million in cap space. Use 6 million on Drake (hopefully that's his price?) & that leaves 4.5 million on a FA. As others have suggested in this thread, ask for a 2nd or 3rd also.

The issue isn't the prorated bonus, it's low salary paid initially that creates the large cap hit in 2020.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the draft value chart, number 8 is worth #14, and their 3rd & 4th rd picks.

Let's say we give DJ a 4th rd value: Would they/we do it for the first round flip and a 3rd?
In this scenario, you're not giving Johnson a 4th round value... You're giving him a negative 4th round value.

...dbs

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The issue isn't the prorated bonus, it's low salary paid initially that creates the large cap hit in 2020.
Still more backloaded than anything. I hope SK changes that strategy. It usually takes 2 yrs with a player to see what he can do or how he fits our system. So why not frontload most of his contract. Makes more sense. Easier to cut cap wise in yr 3.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still more backloaded than anything. I hope SK changes that strategy. It usually takes 2 yrs with a player to see what he can do or how he fits our system. So why not frontload most of his contract. Makes more sense. Easier to cut cap wise in yr 3.

True, but contracts in any given year are driven by the available Cap, cash flow in the operational budget and other needs.

At one point, the Cards were infamous for their lack of accounting creativity, which finally changed under Rod Graves.

Just have to take the good with 'possible' bad in these Affairs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In this scenario, you're not giving Johnson a 4th round value... You're giving him a negative 4th round value.

...dbs
Agreed but that makes the deal more likely. It becomes similar to swapping our 4th for their 3rd for them to move up 6 spaces. I’d likely do that.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agreed but that makes the deal more likely. It becomes similar to swapping our 4th for their 3rd for them to move up 6 spaces. I’d likely do that.

The only way I agree with this, is if the Cardinals somehow can have the Buc draft Lamb or Jeudy. There is a scenario where moving down to #14 means you miss all of your 1st round targets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously trading down only makes sense is if there is a player you want at the new draft spot. Tankathon still has nice targets available at #14.

Getting at extra pick would help especially if the Bucs take DJ.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson