The Suns next big move

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Unless we got him for basically nothing, I don't see it happening. Too old

Aaron Gordon is someone I'm sure they're targeting. Another way out there possibility is Karl Anthony Towns but theres a lot of factors going on in that one (fit with Ayton, playing the pf position, etc)

How in the realistic world would we get KAT without giving up Ayton?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns need to try for KAT. I'm not in favor of trading Ayton but if it were to bring back KAT then I'd be game. It's not just who KAT is as a player but his connection with Booker should keep both here for many years to come.

If he ended up in Golden State though that could very well cause Booker to force his way out. There's no way the Suns should sit back and allow KAT and D'Lo to team up on another team. Ayton would be better than anything Golden State has to offer as far as future assets. Of course they could trade one of their big 3 for him but that doesn't make sense for either team.
If KAT and D’Lo both ended up in GS that’s the best place the two could land for us. They literally couldn’t land booker. So his besties wouldn’t be an option.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
How in the realistic world would we get KAT without giving up Ayton?

There really isn't one unless the wolves go into full on salary dump mode and towns forces his way here. Truthfully I thought it was only an extremely small chance of us getting him

It's still obvious we need another big. Ideally someone who can protect the paint and may be able to shoot from outside (think Serge Ibaka in his prime). Not sure who fits that criteria though

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There really isn't one unless the wolves go into full on salary dump mode and towns forces his way here. Truthfully I thought it was only an extremely small chance of us getting him

It's still obvious we need another big. Ideally someone who can protect the paint and may be able to shoot from outside (think Serge Ibaka in his prime). Not sure who fits that criteria though
Man ibaka in his prime would be the perfect piece. Unfortunately that guys upside was so great that the thunder chose him over keeping harden. So we ain’t finding that guy available for cheap.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
An aside, but I love how GS is "monitoring" the KAT situation in Minnesota...as if every GM, every reporter, and every fan isn't doing the same whether they are trying to or not.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The KAT situation is interesting. If he indeed is trying to push his way out, the Suns have to be in on the discussion, but otherwise they might just consider staying with what they have.

Yes, Tyler, Frank, and Saric are moveable for the right piece--a pf who can block a few shots and score. Maybe Pop decides to get some value for Alderidge. He would be a better fit than Love.

Tyler, Frank, and Saric plus a pick or two might get it done. Frank and Saric are both young pieces that Pop seems to work magic with. Tyler also seems like a SA type of player, but he would free up a lot of cap space for them, and they get picks to rebuild with. I am intrigued by Alderidge but not that excited about him. So I would not be willing to give up more.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The KAT situation is interesting. If he indeed is trying to push his way out, the Suns have to be in on the discussion, but otherwise they might just consider staying with what they have.

Yes, Tyler, Frank, and Saric are moveable for the right piece--a pf who can block a few shots and score. Maybe Pop decides to get some value for Alderidge. He would be a better fit than Love.

Tyler, Frank, and Saric plus a pick or two might get it done. Frank and Saric are both young pieces that Pop seems to work magic with. Tyler also seems like a SA type of player, but he would free up a lot of cap space for them, and they get picks to rebuild with. I am intrigued by Alderidge but not that excited about him. So I would not be willing to give up more.

I like Aldridge more than Love but I don't think I like it enough to include a 1st. They have a lot of ground to make up to be a playoff team this year. I know they're close to the 8th seed now but it's not just reaching that spot but maintaining that level of play throughout the remaining 49 games this year. Aldridge would help them play better but I'd only include a 1st that was lottery protected. Handing a lottery pick to San Antonio would suck, especially with the Suns luck. If they could get lottery protection on the pick then I'd do it but only then.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Aldridge more than Love but I don't think I like it enough to include a 1st. They have a lot of ground to make up to be a playoff team this year. I know they're close to the 8th seed now but it's not just reaching that spot but maintaining that level of play throughout the remaining 49 games this year. Aldridge would help them play better but I'd only include a 1st that was lottery protected. Handing a lottery pick to San Antonio would suck, especially with the Suns luck. If they could get lottery protection on the pick then I'd do it but only then.

From what I have seen of Aldridge, he is mostly an outside shooter now and Love was never known for his defense. Aldridge would be the better target because of the shorter contract but it only makes sense for expiring contracts. If the Suns are going to trade a first round pick I would prefer different targets that can protect the rim.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Kat is not coming. As good as he is I hope Suns don't blow up this young roster for him.

I would prefer them to trade picks for a young PG or PF and just let the team grow together.

Kat is a great player but I don't think winning games is his concern.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From what I have seen of Aldridge, he is mostly an outside shooter now and Love was never known for his defense. Aldridge would be the better target because of the shorter contract but it only makes sense for expiring contracts. If the Suns are going to trade a first round pick I would prefer different targets that can protect the rim.

Yes, Aldridge completely stopped posting-up. He keeps shooting long 2P's from turnaround-jumpers but this is hardly what the Suns need from their PF.

Aldridge's length would offer an upgrade over Saric, but I still would not offer more for him than Tyler Johnson and Okobo.

Love is a non-target for the Suns, IMO, because of his contract, durability and defensive shortcomings.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The biggest move for the Suns is making Ayton a mean streak! He has the talent. He needs the desire/meant streak to blow up the opposing team. We have the guy. He just needs an attitude adjustment!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The biggest move for the Suns is making Ayton a mean streak! He has the talent. He needs the desire/meant streak to blow up the opposing team. We have the guy. He just needs an attitude adjustment!

And it ain’t gonna happen. He’s just not that guy. It’s 15 foot jumpers all day

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Listening to Burns and Gambo the other day and they made a good point in their comparison of Ayton to Townes. Townes is more of a scorer than Ayton but they pointed out the reason is Ayton doesn't have a 3pt shot at this point and doesn't get to the FT line. Maybe the new lineup with him playing PF with Baynes at C (which Ayton is extremely happy with) will make him develop his 3pt and FT game.

So I'm thinking PHX may want to start looking for a defensive C and Andre Drummond is available for cap relief but the only problem is a C who clogs the lane doesn't help Booker / Oubre / Rubio driving into the paint. It seems like the best thing is to ride out season with Baynes / Ayton combo at C / PF and see where they are in the offseason.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Listening to Burns and Gambo the other day and they made a good point in their comparison of Ayton to Townes. Townes is more of a scorer than Ayton but they pointed out the reason is Ayton doesn't have a 3pt shot at this point and doesn't get to the FT line. Maybe the new lineup with him playing PF with Baynes at C (which Ayton is extremely happy with) will make him develop his 3pt and FT game.

So I'm thinking PHX may want to start looking for a defensive C and Andre Drummond is available for cap relief but the only problem is a C who clogs the lane doesn't help Booker / Oubre / Rubio driving into the paint. It seems like the best thing is to ride out season with Baynes / Ayton combo at C / PF and see where they are in the offseason.

Ayton always seems happy, unless he's talking about how he'll dominate in the next game. When he's moved back to Center, which will happen sooner than later, he'll talk about how that is his natural position and he's glad to be back. That's just his personality. He's not someone whose word carries much weight.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Except Baynes' body can't handle being a starter for the remainder of the season. And, realistically, he has probably given up on the Suns.

Only the addition of a role playing Center, in that scenario, will get us to the end of the season without imploding.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure how developing his 3 pt shoot and starting to shoot even further from the hoop on a regular basis is going to help his FT game.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else thinking Ayton is a dud? Careless on the boards, soft on O...I get it, bugs take time blah, blah...

trade Ayton, T Johnson, oubre or bridges, next year top 5 protected, and more

for KAT

Why not? Suns have sucked for so long and anyone who believes Sarver can grow this team is nutso. Booker is gone after this contract. He got his lifetime dollars and he gone. Swing for the fences now. Otherwise enjoy watching Monty preach inconsistencies for the next 3+ years

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone else thinking Ayton is a dud? Careless on the boards, soft on O...I get it, bugs take time blah, blah...

for KAT

Why not? Suns have sucked for so long and anyone who believes Sarver can grow this team is nutso. Booker is gone after this contract. He got his lifetime dollars and he gone. Swing for the fences now. Otherwise enjoy watching Monty preach inconsistencies for the next 3+ years

Replace Oubre or Bridges with Cam Johnson and limit the "and more" to a lottery protected future pick, and I'm game...

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score

for KAT

He is averaging 12+ rebounds a game. Far from being a dud. He does it effortlessly that's why people are so upset. With a aggressive Ayton he can grab 15+ boards a game.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

for KAT

You just cannot give up on big men this early. You can't. Ayton will be a serviceable NBA player no matter what happens. Throwing away a #1 pick because he does not meet the lofty expectations of the first overall pick when he is only 6 games into his second season his just foolishness.