The Suns next big move

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even if Love we could get Love cheap, and even if his long-term salary was not so bad, his skill set is wrong. We need a rim protector. His defense is not good. He scores and rebounds, but cannot defend and cannot stay healthy.

We need a player that is more in the Ibaka mold. Young Ibaka.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Even if Love we could get Love cheap, and even if his long-term salary was not so bad, his skill set is wrong. We need a rim protector. His defense is not good. He scores and rebounds, but cannot defend and cannot stay healthy.

You mean Brandon Clarke?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

no we don’t we need someone who can be consistent on offense. Booker is our only guy that we can really count on. Oubre, Bridges and Rubio are streaky

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
no we don’t we need someone who can be consistent on offense. Booker is our only guy that we can really count on. Oubre, Bridges and Rubio are streaky

I am pretty sure Ayton will give us all the offense we need...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I thought it could

The most cash that can be included is $3 million and that is a drop in the bucket compared to what Love is making. It also wouldn't lessen his cap hit at all. If you were trading a player with a smaller deal then that cash could help offset a good portion or an entire year of their salary but max money guys like Love, it doesn't make a difference.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The most cash that can be included is $3 million and that is a drop in the bucket compared to what Love is making. It also wouldn't lessen his cap hit at all. If you were trading a player with a smaller deal then that cash could help offset a good portion or an entire year of their salary but max money guys like Love, it doesn't make a difference.

that is an antiquated number. They need to raise it—a lot.

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
77, 60, 59, 22. Games played by Love in the each of last four seasons successively. Declining, clearly.

But we both agree on not getting him, so, it's all good.
You’re correct.. for some reason I didn’t look at games played due to injury.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I agree. Trading for Love would be incredibly stupid. If his contract was expiring, or if there was maybe one year left, then fine- trade for him, you'll get into playoffs and you might win a game or two. Don't cripple yourself financially for three more years to get someopne marginally better than Saric. There is no need to panic. Ayton and Baynes will be back, Cam and Mikal are getting better, Okobo is looking like an actual NBA player, and Saric and Kaminsky are going to look better in smaller roles when Ayton and Baynes get back. There is no reason to panic trade for Kevin Freakin' Love.
I don't think he would cripple our finances. We'll be over the cap anyway, unless we decide to gut the team which seems very unlikely.

I think he'd be a nice addition if Cleveland is looking to move him for nothing other than salary room. Definitely wouldn't give up Bridges, a pick or any other valuable asset.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think he would cripple our finances. We'll be over the cap anyway, unless we decide to gut the team which seems very unlikely.

I think he'd be a nice addition if Cleveland is looking to move him for nothing other than salary room. Definitely wouldn't give up Bridges, a pick or any other valuable asset.

And saddle us with yet another unathletic power forward who can't protect the rim or defend? Yeah, that would certainly fit James Jones's M.O. to this point and further cripple our play, if not our finances.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
And saddle us with yet another unathletic power forward who can't protect the rim or defend? Yeah, that would certainly fit James Jones's M.O. to this point and further cripple our play, if not our finances.
I don't think we would saddle ourselves with another unathletic PF because obviously you'd move one of the current ones, or at least stop giving them PT. IMO blocks and steals are overrated. While Love may not protect the rim, his defense is at least average.

I don't quite understand the James Jones comment. Although, i must admit that I typically skip past your posts so I may be missing some context. I read your post this time because you replied to me.

I understand the financial commitment we'd make with the trade; I just don't think it would be as damaging as some think it to be. It's not like we'd be under the cap far enough to sign a max player anyway.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

We’d need more... To take on that contract they’d need to throw us an asset bigger than the mole on Ginny Sack’s ass. Love is not a great fit so it’d need to be a great value deal for Jones.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We’d need more... To take on that contract they’d need to throw us an asset bigger than the mole on Ginny Sack’s ass. Love is not a great fit so it’d need to be a great value deal for Jones.

Wouldn't be the first time Jones didn't get value when taking on a bad fit in a trade (see Saric, Dario)...

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Seems like a good fit to me. I'd rather see him out there next to Ayton and Baynes rather than Frank the Tank.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Seems like a good fit to me. I'd rather see him out there next to Ayton and Baynes rather than Frank the Tank.

Basically the same player, only Love is a better rebounder and a slightly less erratic shooter.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dedmon?:shrug: He wants out of Sacramento. I would post a link but the report is published by the athletic.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Suns are like your dead beat alcoholic brother in law. He comes to you every so often with some new story about he he's finally got his act together. He has a job interview, the number one pick in the draft, a new girlfriend, just signed a couple of free agents and if you can just front him a $1000 bucks for a few weeks he'll pay you back double when he gets his first check.

Only thing is you know nothings gonna change as long as he has the same pathetic meddling owner, keeps drinking, hangs out with the same crowd etc, etc...

What are you gonna do?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns are like your dead beat alcoholic brother in law. He comes to you every so often with some new story about he he's finally got his act together. He has a job interview, the number one pick in the draft, a new girlfriend, just signed a couple of free agents and if you can just front him a $1000 bucks for a few weeks he'll pay you back double when he gets his first check.

Only thing is you know nothings gonna change as long as he has the same pathetic meddling owner, keeps drinking, hangs out with the same crowd etc, etc...

What are you gonna do?
How do know my brother in law?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dedmon?:shrug: He wants out of Sacramento. I would post a link but the report is published by the athletic.

Suns should have re-signed Holmes.

Here is a snippet from the article:

Kings center Dewayne Dedmon wants a trade out of Sacramento and multiple teams are making offers to the franchise in anticipation of a deal prior to the February trade deadline, league sources say. Dedmon signed a three-year, $41 million contract with the Kings in free agency, but coach Luke Walton is believed to have soured on the 30-year-old and the sides believe their union can’t be salvaged...

https://theathletic.com/1490550/?source=twittered&redirected=1

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns should have re-signed Holmes.

Can't fault the Suns for passing on Holmes. Not only did he get in some legal trouble this summer but they already made the deal for Baynes by then also. There wouldn't have been minutes for Ayton, Baynes, and Holmes. Of course Ayton hasn't been available but I don't fault James Jones for not foreseeing that. That was much more than a typical injury. Had the Suns kept Holmes it could have easily led to an IT, Dragic, Bledsoe situation with a very crowded frontcourt.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't fault the Suns for passing on Holmes. Not only did he get in some legal trouble this summer but they already made the deal for Baynes by then also. There wouldn't have been minutes for Ayton, Baynes, and Holmes. Of course Ayton hasn't been available but I don't fault James Jones for not foreseeing that. That was much more than a typical injury. Had the Suns kept Holmes it could have easily led to an IT, Dragic, Bledsoe situation with a very crowded frontcourt.

I think there would have been plenty of minutes with Ayton, Baynes and Holmes.

Holmes can play center and power forward. It would be a solid rotation.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Booker will be traded by the 2021 deadline. It's the Larry Nance situation again. Nance was the only star-level player on a franchise that was going nowhere. Eventually the Suns figured out that the timing with Nance was never going to work out. He was traded in his seventh season; Booker is now in his fifth, so next year will be his sixth. The Suns lucked out in the Nance trade by landing Kevin Johnson, so maybe they'll strike gold again. Nothing against Booker, but this relationship is hopeless, he already knows it, and it's only a matter of time until the team figures out that they need to cash in their best asset before it depreciates.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Booker will be traded by the 2021 deadline. It's the Larry Nance situation again. Nance was the only star-level player on a franchise that was going nowhere. Eventually the Suns figured out that the timing with Nance was never going to work out. He was traded in his seventh season; Booker is now in his fifth, so next year will be his sixth. The Suns lucked out in the Nance trade by landing Kevin Johnson, so maybe they'll strike gold again. Nothing against Booker, but this relationship is hopeless, he already knows it, and it's only a matter of time until the team figures out that they need to cash in their best asset before it depreciates.

That’s a bit harsh. Booker is still very young, very talented and only improving. He’s a part of the solution, not the problem. Any return we get for him would likely not make us any better. Guys like Booker you keep and build around.

As dark as it may seem now, we are still a better team than last season, and that’s with our 2nd best player only playing 2 games to this point.

As it stands today, however, anyone not named Booker or Ayton is open to being dealt.