The Suns next big move

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Nov 2, 2019.

1. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

OK. Its still early, but it looks like this team has turned a corner and is now competitive--at least they have been in every game so far this year.

So the next big move is to add a star player--the player that is a big three player to go with Booker and Ayton (or Booker and Oubre, depending on Ayton's development).

They are going to be looking for a declining team going into a rebuild that wants lots of assets and has a disgruntled star--or just a star--for that matter that they want to move.

The assets the Suns have to get a star player are their own picks, young players, and big expiring contracts.

Two to three first-round picks depending on the player.
    Young promising players: Saric, Bridges, Cam, and even Oubre.
    Expiring deals to even out the money: TJohnson, Saric, and even Baynes if necessary.

It will be interesting to see what star player becomes available this year. There are always a few. This year's trade deadline is the time to make this kind of move.

mjb21aztd likes this.
  2. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

I like the message in your post. What position do you think our first choice will be?

I disagree with the Suns getting rid of Oubre. I just don't think it's going to happen
    now that he is the spark plug of the team and a fan favorite.

Unless it is for a superstar.

3. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

Any star level power forwards possibly available?

4. swagron

swagron Registered

Kevin love

5. Evil Ash

Evil Ash Henchman Supreme

The move would likely be for a power forward as that is the team's biggest weakness. I do agree that Oubre isn't going anywhere (bridges is much more likely to go and I'm fine with that if if it is for a superstar).

6. Evil Ash

Unless we got him for basically nothing, I don't see it happening. Too old

Aaron Gordon is someone I'm sure they're targeting. Another way out there possibility is Karl Anthony Towns but theres a lot of factors going on in that one (fit with Ayton, playing the pf position, etc)

7. JCSunsfan

Alderidge, Griffin, Draymond, Markkanen?

Bagley?

I do not see any of those guys worthy of giving up the farm.

8. JCSunsfan

Isn't Aaron Gordon more of a sf? Now you are right about KAT. THAT would be intriguing.

9. Evil Ash

His natural position is power forward (hes more of a stretch 4) but the magic's roster is a mess. They have too many bigs and not enough guards. That's why they could be good trading partners

10. JCSunsfan

To me, this Suns team is kinda beginning to feel like it did in the KJ, Chambers, EJ stage pre-Barkley. They had just turned a corner, were competitive, but needed another piece to compete for a championship. I know it is really early, the next few games could change things completely. So, I am hoping.

Then they brought in Barkley and made a run.

I would think the declining teams are OKC, Warriors (although I am sure they just want to grab a good pick and retool), Wizards, Hornets, Magic, Pistons, Kings, Griz.

The Kings might have really made a big mistake with their last coaching change, but they do have a decent young roster.

There might also be a few teams with multiple good players at a single position and need to adjust their roster some--like Kuzma and Davis in LA.

11. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

I'm not sure they don't have what they need on the roster already. Booker #1, Ayton #2 and Oubre #3. Just let those three grow together and continue to make upgrades around them where available.

That being said this team as constructed has a chance to be a very good team and with the current landscape of the league that could mean they have a chance to compete. This is especially true if the team gets even better with the return of Ayton.

pinetopred and Ronin like this.
  12. Proximo

Proximo Registered

Blake Griffen is the obvious choice.

Not crazy about him, but he is the only one I think may be available and would be a big upgrade.

But really, I think it may be to early to make a move during the season.

We need to see how much Ayton, Mikal, Oubre and Cam improve the rest of the year.

elindholm likes this.
  13. JCSunsfan

There is that possibility--that this team has arrived before it was expected to--but I doubt it. They do need to take their time and truly see what is needed. This next step is the hardest one. They need to do it right.

14. JCSunsfan

He is an intriguing player but ALWAYS injured. I just cannot see that changing.

15. Hoop Head

Hoop Head ASFN Contributor Contributor

I hope we don't trade for Kevin Love. I don't think it would cost all that much to get him. Tyler Johnson and a pick? He's owed a ton of money and while I really like this team and their chance to compete this year, adding Love would set them back longterm from a financial standpoint. We may end up losing Oubre in 2 years if we took on a contract like Love's. He's owed $31 million next season and the one after but that drops to $28 million in his final year. Including this year though he's owed $120 million over 4 seasons. That is too much for the Suns to take on for what he brings.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.