The Suns next big move

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a bit harsh. Booker is still very young, very talented and only improving. He’s a part of the solution, not the problem. Any return we get for him would likely not make us any better. Guys like Booker you keep and build around.

As dark as it may seem now, we are still a better team than last season, and that’s with our 2nd best player only playing 2 games to this point.

As it stands today, however, anyone not named Booker or Ayton is open to being dealt.

the sad reality is that if this team is ever even going to be good, Booker and Ayton will need to be 2nd and 3rd bananas because neither of them has what it takes to be a true blue #1 Alpha Dog, IMO.

Booker's got the grit, but not the athleticism to completely control a game at either side of the court. And Ayton's got the athleticism with none of the grit to do the same.

If those are you're two main building blocks moving forwards, we've got castles made of sand.

Sunburst

Veteran
Reaction score
Ownership group needs a new managing partner. Must change Sarver for this team to turn around.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I think we need to slow down a bit. Look at last year's roster compared to this roster. We've made huge strides. It's going to take time. We need a few more pieces (i.e. PF, backup PG, backup PF), but we're making progress. We just need to figure out the defense.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
That’s a bit harsh. Booker is still very young, very talented and only improving. He’s a part of the solution, not the problem. Any return we get for him would likely not make us any better. Guys like Booker you keep and build around.

If that kind of thinking were set in stone, Nance would never have been traded. He was averaging 21 and 10, was sixth in the league in blocks, and had already been an All-Star.

I'm not saying that Booker's exit will be good or bad, just that it will happen.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that kind of thinking were set in stone, Nance would never have been traded. He was averaging 21 and 10, was sixth in the league in blocks, and had already been an All-Star.

I'm not saying that Booker's exit will be good or bad, just that it will happen.

FWIW the Warriors announcers were raving about the under 25 core on the Suns, with Ayton out even, and Kelenna Azabuike said you need to handle it correctly. He was talking about just this if they were to trade Booker at some point it needs to be a really good deal, but he was saying with the Ayton suspension there's a bit of similarity between the Suns and Warriors in that their record this year should be worse than the talent on the team should be so they might get a good pick again next year to add a piece and then get healthy. Of course Ayton is not Steph and Klay but there is some truth to that idea.

Looking at standings the Suns appear to have the 7th worst record right now. I don't know your draft situation but assuming you have your own 1st rounder there's a chance but of course there was a chance last year and you got hosed in the lottery.

As an outsider that was the first Suns game I've watched in about a month, PG is still an issue, Rubio is a solid player and I think you have him for 2 more years but it would be good to get the next PG in next years draft if possible. The guy I thought was the best one is Cole Anthony of UNC but he was shooting very poorly and then got hurt, I still think he'll be a terrific pro but I'm not quite as high on him as I was earlier, he may have slipped a few spots in the draft with his shooting this year.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
FWIW the Warriors announcers were raving about the under 25 core on the Suns, with Ayton out even, and Kelenna Azabuike said you need to handle it correctly. He was talking about just this if they were to trade Booker at some point it needs to be a really good deal, but he was saying with the Ayton suspension there's a bit of similarity between the Suns and Warriors in that their record this year should be worse than the talent on the team should be so they might get a good pick again next year to add a piece and then get healthy. Of course Ayton is not Steph and Klay but there is some truth to that idea.

Looking at standings the Suns appear to have the 7th worst record right now. I don't know your draft situation but assuming you have your own 1st rounder there's a chance but of course there was a chance last year and you got hosed in the lottery.

As an outsider that was the first Suns game I've watched in about a month, PG is still an issue, Rubio is a solid player and I think you have him for 2 more years but it would be good to get the next PG in next years draft if possible. The guy I thought was the best one is Cole Anthony of UNC but he was shooting very poorly and then got hurt, I still think he'll be a terrific pro but I'm not quite as high on him as I was earlier, he may have slipped a few spots in the draft with his shooting this year.
I haven’t checked in a while but I believe we’re the youngest team in the NBA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think we need to slow down a bit. Look at last year's roster compared to this roster. We've made huge strides. It's going to take time. We need a few more pieces (i.e. PF, backup PG, backup PF), but we're making progress. We just need to figure out the defense.
But that’s just it, other than the fools gold of the first 11 games, we haven’t made “huge strides.” Any “strides” certainly haven’t been “huge.” And if you ask me, the ceiling that some of us worried about in the preseason is rearing its head.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
But that’s just it, other than the fools gold of the first 11 games, we haven’t made “huge strides.” Any “strides” certainly haven’t been “huge.” And if you ask me, the ceiling that some of us worried about in the preseason is rearing its head.
But we’re a real NBA team now. I dont know if you suffered through the games over the last few years but I did. It was a joke half filled with G-league players.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I don’t necessarily use the outcome of games to measure how well we’re doing. A lot of these games can go either way depending on a few plays. I like the way we’re playing compared to last year, while I recognize we have a long way to go

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Not only because of a Suns decision, but Book made it clear that he wants to be part of a playoff team.

The fact is that we are no closer now than when he mentioned it, regardless of the reasons.

And despite Devin, with his limited defense and not being able to take over games, being part of the problem.

With his intelligence, it is very possible that he understands the reality that his best chance for the playoffs
would be as a #2 player (while a top scorer) on a better run team. And without a Robert Sarver putting
pressure on Devin Booker to cover for his incompetence.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
Not only because of a Suns decision, but Book made it clear that he wants to be part of a playoff team.

The fact is that we are no closer now than when he mentioned it, regardless of the reasons.

And despite Devin, with his limited defense and not being able to take over games, being part of the problem.

With his intelligence, it is very possible that he understands the reality that his best chance for the playoffs
would be as a #2 player (while a top scorer) on a better run team. And without a Robert Sarver putting
pressure on Devin Booker to cover for his incompetence.

Devin Booker is no where near being a superstar, or featured player, or imo, a franchise player. Yes, I get he has numbers with the Suns.
He hustles more under Monty but still never affects any game defensively. He's had his record breaking scoring numbers yes, but to
what end? This team still slumps into extended losing streaks. He is better suited on a talented team as a starting role player.
I say this because the Suns lack ANY star power and are devoid of starting lineup talent.

I get that they play harder than last year. I root for them every chance I get to watch. This organization lacks star talent. Jmo and...
Go Suns!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Devin Booker is no where near being a superstar, or featured player, or imo, a franchise player. Yes, I get he has numbers with the Suns.
He hustles more under Monty but still never affects any game defensively. He's had his record breaking scoring numbers yes, but to
what end? This team still slumps into extended losing streaks. He is better suited on a talented team as a starting role player.
I say this because the Suns lack ANY star power and are devoid of starting lineup talent.

I get that they play harder than last year. I root for them every chance I get to watch. This organization lacks star talent. Jmo and...
Go Suns!
Cmon, I recognize books limitations more than most here, but “role player?” That’s silly.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
Cmon, I recognize books limitations more than most here, but “role player?” That’s silly.
That's the wrong word...I didn't mean role as in bench player. He's just not a superstar. In this era, where two great players can make a contender, Book is not
either player. He's a solid NBA starter. He's a 3rd scoring option on a very good to great team.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That's the wrong word...I didn't mean role as in bench player. He's just not a superstar. In this era, where two great players can make a contender, Book is not
either player. He's a solid NBA starter. He's a 3rd scoring option on a very good to great team.

You’re still wrong. He is far more than a 3rd option. Far more... He is a border-line #1 scorer who has also improved his defense tremendously. He also is a very good assist guy who, with a more complete team/better shooters around him, would likely be averaging at least 8, maybe 9 assists per game versus the current 6.
He is a legit #2 option who has the potential to further develop - as the team around him develops, into a legit first option.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re still wrong. He is far more than a 3rd option. Far more... He is a border-line #1 scorer who has also improved his defense tremendously. He also is a very good assist guy who, with a more complete team/better shooters around him, would likely be averaging at least 8, maybe 9 assists per game versus the current 6.
He is a legit #2 option who has the potential to further develop - as the team around him develops, into a legit first option.

All of this and he just turned 23. He's not a finished product and won't be for another 2-3 years. All of these claims on what Booker is, as far as his ceiling, are premature. A month ago people were talking about how they wouldn't trade Booker for any other guard in the league because of his age, efficiency, and dedicated play on both sides of the court but now he's a role player or an average starter? Ok.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
People sometimes think of role players as substitutes.

In Book's case, on a talented team, his 'role' would be as a high scoring Shooting Guard. 25+ ppg
on a consistent basis and consistently throughout the game, from opening tip to the final seconds.

Not as a distributor. Not as a defensive whiz. Not as an all around super star. As a scorer. Perhaps
like a Walter Davis.

Unfortunately he's been called on to fill more roles than he is capable of. Which has led to disappointment.

And now it is tough to double back.

Last edited:

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Suns trade 2 1st rd pick for D.Graham.

He will solve the backup PG issue as well as serve as the PG of the future.

He can run the second unit while providing bench scoring.

A unit of Graham, Bridges, Cam with Frank/Dillio at PF with Baynes at C is a solid bench.

Will also allow the Suns to clear out the backup PG spot. I think Okobo, Johnson and maybe even Jerome should look to be moved.

Suns can fill in those draft picks one being Graham the other pick can turn into Jalen L. Suns add two young players to fill the void.

Suns can also fill in those picks with young talent the may come available in F/A

D. Graham, Booker, and Rubio will be the best 3 guard rotation in the NBA 2 good shooters and 3 good passers.

Suns can do with young players the need young Vets on the early side of their careers.
They have enough young talent with

Ayton
Booker
Kelly
Bridges
Carter
Dario

They can afford to take a risk on a possible 6th man of the year at a position of need.
One who is currently one of the best shooters and assist men in his 2nd year in the NBA.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is 23 and most players don't peak at 23?!?!?! He is a legit 2nd option on the majority of teams in the NBA. Seriously!?!?!?! Is he a #1? Debatable. IMO there has only been a handful of #1 that led their teams that actually made other players around them better. There has been a ton of #1 guys leading their teams in scoring for example but never did much in the playoffs even if they racked up wins. It all depends on what you mean by #1 guy.

At any rate, the Suns need to make a move to acquire more consistent play from the front court positions. This team has a very short window with Book or he will demand a trade. Mark my words if he goes to a legit team he will tear it up for years and years to come and make us regret every minute of it.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of this and he just turned 23. He's not a finished product and won't be for another 2-3 years. All of these claims on what Booker is, as far as his ceiling, are premature. A month ago people were talking about how they wouldn't trade Booker for any other guard in the league because of his age, efficiency, and dedicated play on both sides of the court but now he's a role player or an average starter?

I'll bet you NONE of those "people" are the ones saying they wouldn't trade Booker for any guard in the league. And I'll bet you the ones who who were saying that, are still saying that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns need to try for KAT. I'm not in favor of trading Ayton but if it were to bring back KAT then I'd be game. It's not just who KAT is as a player but his connection with Booker should keep both here for many years to come.

If he ended up in Golden State though that could very well cause Booker to force his way out. There's no way the Suns should sit back and allow KAT and D'Lo to team up on another team. Ayton would be better than anything Golden State has to offer as far as future assets. Of course they could trade one of their big 3 for him but that doesn't make sense for either team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Towns trade rumors are out there. Every time he misses a game there is chatter.

Word is Booker, Russell and Towns want to play together. Whoever gets two pieces likely gets the third to complete the triangle.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Towns trade rumors are out there. Every time he misses a game there is chatter.

Word is Booker, Russell and Towns want to play together. Whoever gets two pieces likely gets the third to complete the triangle.

All 3 are under long term contracts with 3 different teams.
This will never happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All 3 are under long term contracts with 3 different teams.
This will never happen.

I think whoever gets two pieces will be favored to get the third piece.

Even if it doesn't happen there will be likely be frustration from the third player left out of the equation if their team is not winning.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson