With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft......

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s been in the field but not sure what he’s been doing can be called playing. More like going through the motions.
I've heard the kid has a great motor, but it would appear he really didn't want to play in today's bowl game.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Wills keeps getting beat in this game. Michigan is destroying him in pass defense.

It continues to be telling that they scheme to his side and leave Leatherwood alone. They do run right more though. Maybe that's the trade-off.

Wills in Run pro. Leatherwood in pass pro. Either way..... Neither are top 12 picks IMO

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I really think you need to look for elite physical and in-game traits. It's why I blew the horn for Kyler and why I still whine about not going after Doncic over Ayton.

Jeudy has elite..... transferable traits. You can't teach that ankle-breaking elusiveness, instant acceleration, or the street smarts to always know the right way to go when you make your first step after the catch.

Same goes for Simmons. The dude makes INT's, Tackles, Sacks, and has a level of athleticism that instantly transfers to the NFL. His coverage ability over the middle is Kuechly level and his speed and instincts are almost..... ALMOST..... comparable to HoneyBadger.

Talking about Lamb with the "He makes contested catches" routine makes me wonder why you think that's a good thing. The kid is a YAC warrior, no doubt..... but he is not the same level that Jeudy is.

Jeudy's 4th catch at the 6 minute mark of the 2nd quarter....... INSANE. Just hesitated and blew past the CB. With the way he's talking about him.... Dave Pasch may propose to Jeudy by the end of this game.
I think I will say the same and 1 of them should be there at 8 BOTH will Help

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Talking about Lamb with the "He makes contested catches" routine makes me wonder why you think that's a good thing. The kid is a YAC warrior, no doubt..... but he is not the same level that Jeudy is.
Why would that not be a good thing? The corners are much better at the NFL level and you are going to have to be able to go up and make a lot of contested catches to be successful. That ability and Lamb's RAC abilities are as much unteachable as the things you listed for Jeudy, but a player can absolutely learn to improve his route running ability throughout his entire career and BTW Lamb is already a good route runner as well.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Why would that not be a good thing? The corners are much better at the NFL level and you are going to have to be able to go up and make a lot of contested catches to be successful. That ability and Lamb's RAC abilities are as much unteachable as the things you listed for Jeudy, but a player can absolutely learn to improve his route running ability throughout his entire career and BTW Lamb is already a good route runner as well.
Because he can't get wide open in a Lincoln Riley offense while playing in the worst or second worst Big 5 conference in the nation?

Iron sharpens Iron my friend. The SEC..... Playing with that stable of WR's...... In that WR room. Being the #1 for 3 straight year..... WINNING a Belitnikoff (sp?) award.

That's why.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I assume he means that a college Wr having to make contested catches routinely would suggest he can't get open? I don't agree if that's what he meant, he can get open, Fitz made a ton of contested catches in college because everyone doubled him. Jeudy the last 2 years he's had so much talent around him if you double him, they go to someone else. Today that's not working because nobody else is able to get open.

I'd take either one I prefer Jeudy because I think he's just more explosive and runs better routes, I think that's a pretty deadly combination.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I assume he means that a college Wr having to make contested catches routinely would suggest he can't get open? I don't agree if that's what he meant, he can get open, Fitz made a ton of contested catches in college because everyone doubled him. Jeudy the last 2 years he's had so much talent around him if you double him, they go to someone else. Today that's not working because nobody else is able to get open.

I'd take either one I prefer Jeudy because I think he's just more explosive and runs better routes, I think that's a pretty deadly combination.
Agreed.... He can and does get open. ALOT. haha

But to think Jeudy can't because he totally dominates the SEC for 3 years is a false comparison IMO

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Because he can't get wide open in a Lincoln Riley offense while playing in the worst or second worst Big 5 conference in the nation?

Iron sharpens Iron my friend. The SEC..... Playing with that stable of WR's...... In that WR room. Being the #1 for 3 straight year..... WINNING a Belitnikoff (sp?) award.

That's why.
I'm not even specifically pimping one over the other at this point as I haven't dug real deep on anyone as of yet. I just found it kind of weird that you were praising Jeudy for the unteachable things that he does and seemingly downplaying the unteachable things that Lamb does.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Agreed.... He can and does get open. ALOT. haha

But to think Jeudy can't because he totally dominates the SEC for 3 years is a false comparison IMO
He has not totally dominated for 3 years. He did little to nothing as a freshman (nothing wrong with that BTW), had a big year last year (1300 yards, 14 TDs, 19 YPC) and has had a much less dominant year this year (960 yards, 9 TDS, 13 YPC). Only one of those was a truly dominant year, but he has also been good this year.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm not even specifically pimping one over the other at this point as I haven't dug real deep on anyone as of yet. I just found it kind of weird that you were praising Jeudy for the unteachable things that he does and seemingly downplaying the unteachable things that Lamb does.
Im focusing on the fact that Jeudy's unteachable things cause him to not have many contested catches. Even while being double teamed.

How do you know he cant..... And why is that allowing some to say Lamb is better at it?

Also.... Don't you want your guy to be more open than not?

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
With all that being said...... I probably would want Simmons more. :D

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the moment, I give the slight edge to Jeudy. But, looking at our current WR room, beggars can't be choosy. Murray may initially prefer Lamb for all the obvious reasons, but I'm sure he'd still love to have Jeudy.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Brutus!!!
Bluto vs. Brutus. After the theatrical Popeye cartoon series ceased production in 1957, Bluto's name was changed to Brutus because it was incorrectly believed that Paramount Pictures, distributors of the Fleischer Studios (later Famous Studios) cartoons, owned the rights to the name "Bluto".

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That drive showed Bama's Wr talent. On the completion to Ruggs where he makes a great catch, jeudy is open deep for a possible TD but the Qb didn't have time so he dumped it to Ruggs. 2 plays later they have Smith run the same route Jeudy ran and he gets the long TD catch.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Im focusing on the fact that Jeudy's unteachable things cause him to not have many contested catches. Even while being double teamed.

How do you know he cant..... And why is that allowing some to say Lamb is better at it?

Also.... Don't you want your guy to be more open than not?
Again I reitterate that I haven't gone deep into the film yet, but looking through Jeudy's game logs the last couple years almost all of his dominant games came against bad defensive teams (ranked outside the top 100 bad). He may play in the SEC and that means he is going to go up against 2-3 legit defenses every year, but it's not like his overall schedule has been a gauntlet of good defenses either.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With all that being said...... I probably would want Simmons more. :D

I definitely haven't seen enough of Simmons to agree 100% with you. I think my expectations were too high in the OSU game. He played well, but he didn't wow me. At least not until his pick on the sideline. I will say this: When you look at his strengths, he's EVERYTHING that is currently lacking on our LB roster. I was rooting for OSU, but now happy that I can get another look at Simmons against an offensive powerhouse like LSU. I will literally iso on Simmons for the entire game. Doc, is there anyone in the NFL that you would compare this kid too? A little like DWeed in his prime? Once we lost DWeed, our D has never remotely been the same.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bluto vs. Brutus. After the theatrical Popeye cartoon series ceased production in 1957, Bluto's name was changed to Brutus because it was incorrectly believed that Paramount Pictures, distributors of the Fleischer Studios (later Famous Studios) cartoons, owned the rights to the name "Bluto".

Thanks for sharing. I was born in 58 & was a huge Popeye fan as a kid. I would make my Mom prepare spinach 2-3 times a week. My 7 sisters wouldn't touch it, but my Dad & I would feast on it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I get why some would have pause about a WR that’s not a complete player right now. Our 3 youngest guys; Kirk, Isabella and Butler are supposed to be future cogs and they all have average hands/ball skills. Butler drops a lot of balls but brought down a fair share of tough catches. Kirk is probably that guy that gives you maybe 1k every other year but isn’t reliable.

WR’s coming out are so hard to judge... 17 WR’s have gone in the first rd since 2015 and only 4 have reached 1,000 yards so far:
Cooper (4x)
DJ Moore (1)
Mike Williams (1)
DeVante Parker (1)

The others drafted First Rd:
Kevin White
Will Fuller
Nelson Agholor
Breshad Perriman
Phillip Dorsett
Corey Coleman
Josh Doctson
Laquon Treadwell
Corey Davis
John Ross
Calvin Ridley (had a 10 TD year)
Hollywood Brown (rookie)
N’Keal Harry (rookie)

1k guys drafted outside the first rd:
Kupp
Juju
AJ Brown
Sutton
Chark
Gallup
Godwin
Golladay
Thomas
Boyd

It gives one pause in drafting a wide receiver at #8. It makes me want to go offensive line, defensive line or linebacker.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I was born in 58 & was a huge Popeye fan as a kid. I would make my Mom prepare spinach 2-3 times a week. My 7 sisters wouldn't touch it, but my Dad & I would feast on it.

I used to watch the old Popeye cartoons as a kid. I'm a few years older than you. So to me it's always Bluto.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Of course I knew that, I was just kidding. :cheers:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again I reitterate that I haven't gone deep into the film yet, but looking through Jeudy's game logs the last couple years almost all of his dominant games came against bad defensive teams (ranked outside the top 100 bad). He may play in the SEC and that means he is going to go up against 2-3 legit defenses every year, but it's not like his overall schedule has been a gauntlet of good defenses either.

5 for 139 and a TD in the national championship against Clemson, that was after 4 for 73 and a TD against OU 5 for over 70 and a TD against Auburn, 8 for 103 against LSU, that was soph year. This year yeah stats were down again because he was seeing double teams every week.

He's 6 for 204 now today

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison