2019 1st round pick is QB Kyler Murray

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah considering all of the NFLN coverage has been field level only when they could easily have a higher up camera as a part of their coverage, I'm guessing that they requested that they be removed.
He mentioned getting some warnings from Security in stadium as well.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. A major difference in this is that in baseball, you are mostly responsible for your own success and/or failure. Regardless if you are fielding or batting, you mostly determine your success on a play individually. Ultimately, there are less people to pass blame on to.

What is different about football is that your success or failure on a play as a QB is almost completely dependent on others. As a QB, you can do everything correct, but if your LG misses his block, you can fail. You can make the right read and deliver a perfect pass, but if your WR runs the wrong route or drops the ball, it is an INT or an in-completion. And what makes this even more difficult is that all of the blame still comes back to you since you are the QB.

The type of failure that Murray may have to overcome, and has never shown he can in his playing history, is the ability to overcome a lack of talent on the team he is playing for in relation to the team he is playing against. When the Cardinals are the lesser talented team, how can he adjust his play to navigate those waters and still lead the team to victory.

Hmmmm. That's a fair point. This will probably be the weakest team he's ever been on, in terms of how it compares to the other teams in its same league. It will be truly fascinating to see how it plays out.

To Murray's credit, he's hailed as an "ultimate competitor" by his coaches and peers (so at least he won't quit), although this is not evidenced by a lot of bravado displayed during games, or interviews, which is in contrast to his immediate predecessor at OU, Baker Mayfield. I have to admit I prefer Murray's more stoic approach however.

But to your point Chopper, how Murray responds to three dropped passes in a row will tell us a lot about his composure, and leadership ability, and will be a determining factor in whether or not he ultimately succeeds in the NFL.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Needs work: Murray has not struggled much early in camp. Sure, there are passes that are too high or too wide, but they have been rare. The biggest issue that's noticeable is how he starts 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 periods slowly, whether that means missing often during his first few passes or throwing an interception. He usually calms down quickly, and when he does, he's deadly accurate, rattling off sometimes 10 or more consecutive completions. His slow starts are worrisome only because they raise the possibility that he could start games the same way. One interception early in the first quarter could be a game-changer.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...qbs-assessing-murray-jones-haskins-first-week

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hmmmm. That's a fair point. This will probably be the weakest team he's ever been on, in terms of how it compares to the other teams in its same league. It will be truly fascinating to see how it plays out.

To Murray's credit, he's hailed as an "ultimate competitor" by his coaches and peers (so at least he won't quit), although this is not evidenced by a lot of bravado displayed during games, or interviews, which is in contrast to his immediate predecessor at OU, Baker Mayfield. I have to admit I prefer Murray's more stoic approach however.

But to your point Chopper, how Murray responds to three dropped passes in a row will tell us a lot about his composure, and leadership ability, and will be a determining factor in whether or not he ultimately succeeds in the NFL.
and I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge that everything that Murray HASN'T shown he can do up to this point, aren't things that that he ultimately CAN'T do.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Publicity isn't worth much in this day and age though. It'll just make the fall worse if it happens.
This board would be blowing up today if we had passed on Murray and we had to listen to the media reports on how he was lighting up Giants camp or somewhere else. Especially if Rosen was here and struggling. That being said he probably might be struggling a bit trying to learn a typical pro offense.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This board would be blowing up today if we had passed on Murray and we had to listen to the media reports on how he was lighting up Giants camp or somewhere else. Especially if Rosen was here and struggling. That being said he probably might be struggling a bit trying to learn a typical pro offense.
In my opinion, the media narrative changes in that situation.

Rosen here would probably show a really intelligent command of the offense while developing with K2, while players with the Giants wouldn’t dare talk about Murray succeeding all that much with it clear that Eli Manning is the starter.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I dunno. We'd probably have 80% of the reports that we're getting now, only they'd be about Nick Bosa owning D.J. Humphries. There'd be perhaps tepid reviews of the "learning process" that Rosen is going through, but people would talk about his poise and how hard he's working. Then there'd be dead-enders talking about how Murray is doing.

I don't know where Murray would've been taken if we'd passed on him. It's an interesting thought experiment.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I dunno. We'd probably have 80% of the reports that we're getting now, only they'd be about Nick Bosa owning D.J. Humphries. There'd be perhaps tepid reviews of the "learning process" that Rosen is going through, but people would talk about his poise and how hard he's working. Then there'd be dead-enders talking about how Murray is doing.

I don't know where Murray would've been taken if we'd passed on him. It's an interesting thought experiment.

If we didn't take Murray, would we have taken Bosa? Or, perhaps trade the pick? Hmmmmm....

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If we didn't take Murray, I'm convinced that the Niners would have. Then I would have been miserable. As a kid, I always loved the Raiders during the Madden years. So, I would have survived had Murray ended up there or with the Giants (I grew up in NYS).

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If we didn't take Murray, I'm convinced that the Niners would have. Then I would have been miserable. As a kid, I always loved the Raiders during the Madden years. So, I would have survived had Murray ended up there or with the Giants (I grew up in NYS).
If we didn’t take him, he likely would’ve slid out of the Top-10. The demand for Murray was far less than people believed

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
and I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge that everything that Murray HASN'T shown he can do up to this point, aren't things that that he ultimately CAN'T do.

Excellent. Of all the Murray skeptics, your the most reasonable and rational Chopper (Kerouac9 is too much of an instigator. :) ). There's nothing wrong with healthy skepticism, and your takes are appreciated.

Your comment made me think of something I've been turning over in my mind for a couple of weeks.

We've talked a lot about how all draftees have the potential to underachieve, or bust out, and how this certainly applies to Murray. And, a lot of people have offered the view that Murray is exceptionally risky, either because of his height, or baseball background, or whatever.

But Chopper, when I watch the tape, listen to Murray's interviews, and read the practice reports, I have the opposite conclusion.

I think Murray is less likely (than average) to underachieve for his draft position. I think it's going hard for him to fail, and that there will have to be a combination of circumstances (e.g. bad coaching + bad oline play) to create a situation where he won't be a star.

You mention things that Murray hasn't shown he can do. There are obviously a lot of those, as they relate to playing at the NFL level. But don't be too surprised sir, when he accomplishes them.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Will be viewed as one of the most imbecilic or genius moves in the history of the draft. I am hoping for the latter. I think we will know early on

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Excellent. Of all the Murray skeptics, your the most reasonable and rational Chopper (Kerouac9 is too much of an instigator. :) ). There's nothing wrong with healthy skepticism, and your takes are appreciated.

Your comment made me think of something I've been turning over in my mind for a couple of weeks.

We've talked a lot about how all draftees have the potential to underachieve, or bust out, and how this certainly applies to Murray. And, a lot of people have offered the view that Murray is exceptionally risky, either because of his height, or baseball background, or whatever.

But Chopper, when I watch the tape, listen to Murray's interviews, and read the practice reports, I have the opposite conclusion.

I think Murray is less likely (than average) to underachieve for his draft position. I think it's going hard for him to fail, and that there will have to be a combination of circumstances (e.g. bad coaching + bad oline play) to create a situation where he won't be a star.

You mention things that Murray hasn't shown he can do. There are obviously a lot of those, as they relate to playing at the NFL level. But don't be too surprised sir, when he accomplishes them.
You may very well be correct. There are just a bunch of red flags for me (which are well documented) that don't seem to matter much for others. I am ok with that. If Murray is awesome, I win. I get to watch competitive football for the foreseeable future. If he isn't, I am stuck watching bad franchise even if it means I won a meaningless internet draft debate. I know which option I would prefer.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Will be viewed as one of the most imbecilic or genius moves in the history of the draft. I am hoping for the latter. I think we will know early on
As a Kyler detractor, at the moment, I have a better feel for his character, and I feel less inclined to think he'll burn out like the guys on the Jamarcus Russell or Akili Smith level, where things were influenced by drugs or poor personality-based performance.

But yes, we'll either be magicians, or the same old Cardinals.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a Kyler detractor, at the moment, I have a better feel for his character, and I feel less inclined to think he'll burn out like the guys on the Jamarcus Russell or Akili Smith level, where things were influenced by drugs or poor personality-based performance.

But yes, we'll either be magicians, or the same old Cardinals.
The thing you worry about with what I'd call "magical" athletes is: What happens if and when the magic disappears?

Hot-shots often burn out.

Gotta hope K1 is one of the exceptions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson