2019 1st round pick is QB Kyler Murray

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Geez, just stop this passive aggressive approach to everything concerning our rookie QB... wait till you have a at least a stool to sit on before you attempt to take one away from him lol
Has nothing to do with him here. It's the team I'm worried about as a whole.

The offseason attention seems like one of those 90s movies where we're getting hyped up as the next big thing for Prom only because the popular kids wanted to laugh at us for getting so excited.

Who knows what's next? Maybe Kingsbury comes out here and runs a Marty Schottenheimer offense. I just want it to start already!

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I would’ve been fine keeping Rosen but it’s hard to imagine now given the pub the Cards have received mostly due to KM.

I am happy with the decision now. Bidwill and Keim provided the least entertaining (on a historic level) form of football I have ever seen. They owe us some excitement at the very least. All in. Bidwill risked his entire reputation on this offseason and I think he cares about his legacy. And for those obsessing about a Murray injury, let not your heart be troubled. I don’t expect an RG3-style zone-read offense. The Redskins already illustrated that disaster as a cautionary tale

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would’ve been fine keeping Rosen but it’s hard to imagine now given the pub the Cards have received mostly due to KM.
Agree. Whether you like Murray or not, he is moving the needle in ways that is not the norm for the Cardinals. Hopefully the rest of the team feels the pressure and really steps up to support him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agree. Whether you like Murray or not, he is moving the needle in ways that is not the norm for the Cardinals. Hopefully the rest of the team feels the pressure and really steps up to support him.

It feels like that here in this bubble, but in the broader world that hasn't been the case in any measureable way:

You must be registered for see images attach

That's google trends over the last 2 years for Kyler (blue) and Josh (red). We'll see what happens come August, (which is when people started noticing Rosen in the preseason and interest perked up). The sour taste of late 2018 has swamped the memory of a lot of the promise and excitement we felt at this time last summer about Josh.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It feels like that here in this bubble, but in the broader world that hasn't been the case in any measureable way:

That's google trends over the last 2 years for Kyler (blue) and Josh (red). We'll see what happens come August, (which is when people started noticing Rosen in the preseason and interest perked up). The sour taste of late 2018 has swamped the memory of a lot of the promise and excitement we felt at this time last summer about Josh.

Yeah there was excitement over Nathan Peterman too at one point.

And Jamarcus Russell.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what has me really excited about Murray. Watch how he perfectly leads Fitz and hits him in stride:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here is what has me really excited about Murray. Watch how he perfectly leads Fitz and hits him in stride:

The defense isn't even holding their arms up. I will expect real teams to do that.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is another great play by Murray where he finds Kirk sitting in an opening. It's a classic Air Raid "Mesh" play where there are 2 receivers crossing. Murray is able to find his target and actually appears to be up on his toes to help get the ball over the line with a nice high release.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The defense isn't even holding their arms up. I will expect real teams to do that.
It's not the easiest thing in the world to get your arms up when a QB has a quick release and you have someone actively blocking you.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Was listening to local sports radio on the way home yesterday, and the guy Jim Traber (former MLB player) was speaking about the mentality of baseball players.

And he made a really interesting point that I think applies to Murray's perceived lack of hardship and adversity in his athletic career. That is, the idea that Kyle has never faced failure, or the had the opportunity to face obstacles that he couldn't overcome with his sheer athletic talent.

The point was about how baseball players "fail" at a high rate when they bat. So I looked up Murray's baseball batting average for 2018, and it was .296. That means obviously he failed to get a hit 70% of the time during during his plate appearances for that year.

Traber went on to talk about how good baseball players develop a type of dogged confidence that allows them to stay positive at the plate, even if they've gone 0-3 in the first three at-bats in a game.

So, perhaps the mental aspect of dealing with batting in baseball will prepare Murray some for the adversity he's about to face at the NFL level.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was listening to local sports radio on the way home yesterday, and the guy Jim Traber (formerly MLB player) was speaking about the mentality of baseball players.

And he made a really interesting point that I think applies to Murray's perceived lack of hardship and adversity in his athletic career. That is, the idea that Kyle has never faced failure, or the had the opportunity to face obstacles that he couldn't overcome with his sheer athletic talent.

The point was about how baseball players "fail" at a high rate when they bat. So I looked up Murray's baseball batting average for 2018, and it was .296. That means obviously he failed to get a hit 70% of the time during during his plate appearances for that year.

Traber went on to talk about how good baseball players develop a type of dogged confidence that allows them to stay positive at the plate, even if they've gone 0-3 in the first three at-bats in a game.

So, perhaps the mental aspect of dealing with batting in baseball will prepare Murray some for the adversity he's about to face at the NFL level.
Eh, .296 BA in college is slightly decent.

I don’t know if that’s an example I would use.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I would guess that Aug through Dec will be a good reference point only because they will both be participating in NFL football. That being said, if both teams are garbage, there may not be any significant difference in national attention. Same goes if Rosen doesn't win the Dolphins starting job. Being relevant is what drives interest. It is why the Cardinals rarely get national media coverage. Historically we have not been very relevant.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I would guess that Aug through Dec will be a good reference point only because they will both be participating in NFL football. That being said, if both teams are garbage, there may not be any significant difference in national attention. Same goes if Rosen doesn't win the Dolphins starting job. Being relevant is what drives interest. It is why the Cardinals rarely get national media coverage. Historically we have not been very relevant.

Yeah. I mean, Kyler's trends report is lagging where Baker was last year, but Baker got a bump from being on Hard Knocks. If the Cards are good and the Fins are bad, then each QB is going to have some contribution to that result, and you can make the argument that the Cards are "hot" because of Kyler.

I'm saying that the argument that the Cards are hot RIGHT NOW because of Kyler is probably dumb and wrong. I think the Cards might be getting less attention than the baseline just because there isn't a QB competition narrative driving coverage. Kyler's the starter, and there's not much else to say until the first preseason game and then once the season starts.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Was listening to local sports radio on the way home yesterday, and the guy Jim Traber (formerly MLB player) was speaking about the mentality of baseball players.

Thank you for sharing. A major difference in this is that in baseball, you are mostly responsible for your own success and/or failure. Regardless if you are fielding or batting, you mostly determine your success on a play individually. Ultimately, there are less people to pass blame on to.

What is different about football is that your success or failure on a play as a QB is almost completely dependent on others. As a QB, you can do everything correct, but if your LG misses his block, you can fail. You can make the right read and deliver a perfect pass, but if your WR runs the wrong route or drops the ball, it is an INT or an in-completion. And what makes this even more difficult is that all of the blame still comes back to you since you are the QB.

The type of failure that Murray may have to overcome, and has never shown he can in his playing history, is the ability to overcome a lack of talent on the team he is playing for in relation to the team he is playing against. When the Cardinals are the lesser talented team, how can he adjust his play to navigate those waters and still lead the team to victory.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah. I mean, Kyler's trends report is lagging where Baker was last year, but Baker got a bump from being on Hard Knocks. If the Cards are good and the Fins are bad, then each QB is going to have some contribution to that result, and you can make the argument that the Cards are "hot" because of Kyler.

I'm saying that the argument that the Cards are hot RIGHT NOW because of Kyler is probably dumb and wrong. I think the Cards might be getting less attention than the baseline just because there isn't a QB competition narrative driving coverage. Kyler's the starter, and there's not much else to say until the first preseason game and then once the season starts.
I love it when you call me "dumb and wrong". :)

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is another great play by Murray where he finds Kirk sitting in an opening. It's a classic Air Raid "Mesh" play where there are 2 receivers crossing. Murray is able to find his target and actually appears to be up on his toes to help get the ball over the line with a nice high release.

These videos were removed. I wonder if the team asked him to remove them?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These videos were removed. I wonder if the team asked him to remove them?

Yeah considering all of the NFLN coverage has been field level only when they could easily have a higher up camera as a part of their coverage, I'm guessing that they requested that they be removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard