Kelly Oubre...

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
One year wouldn't make much sense. He's eligible for the 35% max after 10 years in the league, which he's 2 short of. So we'll see this mess again but next year should be mellow. The only way next year gets crazy is if Anthony Davis doesn't work in LA and leaves, like Dwight did. I wouldn't rule that out entirely.

This may be the hold up in the negotiations with Oubre. He may be looking for an early opt-out for a bigger payday later on

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really hoping this doesn't devolve into a Joe Johnson situation. I'm hoping Oubre is getting a deal both he and the team believe is fair and the hold up is that it just can't be announced because of cap considerations that need to be dealt with as far as his cap hold and signing others to be able to go over the cap.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
5/75 is the number I am thinking. That is 15 per on a flat contract. I might even consider giving him a frontloaded deal.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm really hoping this doesn't devolve into a Joe Johnson situation. I'm hoping Oubre is getting a deal both he and the team believe is fair and the hold up is that it just can't be announced because of cap considerations that need to be dealt with as far as his cap hold and signing others to be able to go over the cap.
It’s a business. You have to have thick skin to negotiate.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a business. You have to have thick skin to negotiate.

you also have to learn from past mistakes. I'm not saying this is one of them. I'm staying on the side of Oubre's playing coy because a deal's done. But I'll breathe easier when i see he's signed on the dotted line.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you also have to learn from past mistakes. I'm not saying this is one of them. I'm staying on the side of Oubre's playing coy because a deal's done. But I'll breathe easier when i see he's signed on the dotted line.

I'm guessing the Suns have made an offer and his agent is waiting to see what happens with the LA teams to see if it can be beaten. There has been nothing but positivity from Oubre about the situation so I really doubt he feels the Suns are playing hardball.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Suns are where they need to get it done. They will lose credibility with the fans otherwise.

They already refused to pursue D'Angelo Russell who many fans wanted.
You know what will gain credibility with the fans? Winning games will do that better than anything else. If the moves they make or chose not to make lead to us winning games next year than people will forget about things like not going after DLo really fast.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hmmm......could work, but they'd need to lose JJ.
JJ doesn't really factor into it. As long as they can get enough space to sign the other free agents they can simply go over the cap to sign Oubre and they don't have to worry about luxory taxes until they are above a $132m cap number. They won't get there either because Oubre is already counting as $9m against the cap already.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what will gain credibility with the fans? Winning games will do that better than anything else. If the moves they make or chose not to make lead to us winning games next year than people will forget about things like not going after DLo really fast.

Winning games cures all but having enough talent to do it is another thing.

I view Oubre as the third piece to get the Suns to the next level. Most teams in the NBA got better. The Suns not only need to improve but take another step forward.

I'd choose Oubre over Russell without hesitation because he is a two way player and he wants to be here. Plus I view him as a budding star.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

I view Oubre as the third piece to get the Suns to the next level. Most teams in the NBA got better. The Suns not only need to improve but take another step forward.

I'd choose Oubre over Russell without hesitation because he is a two way player and he wants to be here. Plus I view him as a budding star.

Yep, no denying Oubre was the Suns best player in quite a few games last year.
Part of the solution.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Two way player—yes.
Wants to be here—yes.
Budding star—I am the cockeyed optimist on this board and I am not sure even I would claim that.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Two way player—yes.
Wants to be here—yes.
Budding star—I am the cockeyed optimist on this board and I am not sure even I would claim that.

Replace Budding Star with Solid Starter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two way player—yes.
Wants to be here—yes.

So I am a bigger optimist than you are!

I do view Oubre as a budding star at 23.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Oubre is a very interesting player. He does a lot of things extremely well. I don't think he is a star right now, but I don't think he is that far. If he can improve his shooting by a couple of percent, learn to pass a little, he could turn into a star. Last season was really the first time he had an actual opportunity to show what he can do. I am very optimistic about his future.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am a bigger optimist than you are!

I do view Oubre as a budding star at 23.

I think Oubre could but that’s assuming he can take another big leap. Even if you think he won’t take another big step you want guys like Oubre on your team. He can be one of those consistent contributors that every good team needs. Someone you can depend on to show up every night.

Star or not would love to keep him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing is happening now until Kahwi decides what to do. For a shy, backward personality, he sure has a knack for making himself the center of attention.

And he could do anything. No one really knows.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing is happening now until Kahwi decides what to do. For a shy, backward personality, he sure has a knack for making himself the center of attention.

And he could do anything. No one really knows.

If this is correct, then Oubre is still in play or at least until the market sets his value.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let’s just do a little brain exercise right now. I am not proposing this, I am trying to figure ways the cap can be skirted.

If Kahwi suddenly decided that he wanted to come to Phoenix, is it even possible for the Suns to get him—cap wise?

My idea would be an Oubre sign and trade. Sign Oubre for $15 million or whatever Toronto wants. Add a first round pick, add Tyler’s contract. That would roughly be Kahwi’s $34 million starting price. Toronto could then waive and stretch Tyler or keep him for cap space next year.

Now. My question is if this is an allowable transaction? Can you combine an existing salary with a RFA in a sign and trade?

Again. This is just trying to understand allowable translations. It is not a realistic proposal.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:shock:
Kawhi is not coming here.
Kawhi has already stated that there were 4 teams, that he wanted to play for.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson