Kelly Oubre...

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am one of the bigger Bender fans around here, but it's worth asking if it's Bender himself that's making the difference or if it's just having another seven-footer out there. Same applies to Johnson- is it him, or is it just the fact that there is a competent player playing PG. I am not arguing one way or the other, but it is something that I've thought about.

Oubre and Johnson are NBA players, which is something we didn't have before they came aboard. Ariza is done, and Oko/Melton aren't ready/contributors.

Bender adds some needed height to this team, we are undersize when Ayton is not out there, even Holmes is smaller and can get abused at times by taller centers despite his great hops.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Oubre and Johnson are NBA players, which is something we didn't have before they came aboard. Ariza is done, and Oko/Melton aren't ready/contributors.

Bender adds some needed height to this team, we are undersize when Ayton is not out there, even Holmes is smaller and can get abused at times by taller centers despite his great hops.
We do need some size, both in height and bulk!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Bender has been the starter for the last 9 games. Suns have gone 5-4 in those games. Just sayin.

And his contribution has been little.

Despite starting he does not even play for long stretches. He is only starting because the Suns have no other option at PF.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was just thinking that though I'm biased towards re-signing Bender because he's a draft pick and I like the narrative of him turning it around, if he's too expensive in the offseason, I don't think he'll be too difficult to replace at that same money, and possibly less depending on the contract.
I’ll be shocked if bender is “too expensive.” He hasn’t shown enough to even be given a nice contract based on potential. I’d like to see the suns bring him back due to continuity and familiarity, but I’m realistic to recognize that if he goes elsewhere it’s likely not a loss that will keep me up at night.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And his contribution has been little.

Despite starting he does not even play for long stretches. He is only starting because the Suns have no other option at PF.

I swear I've made that exact same post to you only it was in reference to Chriss. It's good to see you admit that's something that happens in the NBA.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have thought the same thing. When you have a roaming Center in Ayton, it really helps to have another 7 footer slide over to the rim. That said, and I like Bender, but he is not a shot blocker. Imagine if that guy sliding over was a shot blocker and rebounder. I would keep Bender if we can resign him cheap, which should be doable.
I don't understand why, if you believe that Bender is not the best choice to slide over to the rim, you want want to keep him . . . if we can "resign him cheap".

We're not the ones who count the investors' trillions. We want to see them invest in skilled players. Bender has too many deficiencies, cheap or otherwise.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’ll be shocked if bender is “too expensive.” He hasn’t shown enough to even be given a nice contract based on potential. I’d like to see the suns bring him back due to continuity and familiarity, but I’m realistic to recognize that if he goes elsewhere it’s likely not a loss that will keep me up at night.

Yeah, it's the whole, all it takes is one team to overpay thing, but we are talking about a low bar here. I hope he comes back (and progresses) too: at present he's not taking up the last spot on the bench that I need to go to someone else.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Could the Suns consider patterning themselves after those powerful Pistons teams from about ten years ago?
Wallace, Wallace, Hamilton, Prince, and Billups didn't have a Hall of Famer but five unique and individually powerful guys who complemented each others' game very well. Tremendous defense, offensive skill and consistency if not flashy.

Thomas was pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thomas was pretty good.

Wrong decade. Talking about the Pistons from the early 2000's that upset the Lakers in the finals and had a grueling series with the Spurs the next year. Larry Brown's team with Chauncey Billups, Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton. You're thinking Bad Boy Pistons' from the late 80's with Rodman, Dumars, Laimbeer, and Isaiah Thomas, amongst many others. Bad Boys stopped Jordan while the Larry Brown version stopped Kobe.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Wrong decade. Talking about the Pistons from the early 2000's that upset the Lakers in the finals and had a grueling series with the Spurs the next year. Larry Brown's team with Chauncey Billups, Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton. You're thinking Bad Boy Pistons' from the late 80's with Rodman, Dumars, Laimbeer, and Isaiah Thomas, amongst many others. Bad Boys stopped Jordan while the Larry Brown version stopped Kobe.

I know. I realized that after I posted it but haven’t ha a second to look at until now.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I mean Bender has a negative +/- in those 9 games and thus I am not so certain that those wins have that much to do with Bender. Tyler and Oubre each have a positive +/- in that same span and thus it is probably easier to point to those two additions to the starting lineup as the main catalyst.

Yeah agreed. Plus Dragan doesnt play any time after he comes off the court in first quarter and after half, so hes still logging no more than 20 minutes (unless Holmes out). I give Dragan zero credit to be completely honest. This is nothing more than to give him opportunity to see if he can offer this team anything next season, the answer to that is no.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Re-signing Bender for cheap does not change much.

Regardless of how cheap he is, he blocks a roster spot.

Bender would have to accept a contract close to the minimum or a very cheap multi year deal because he is still 2-3 years away of potentially being a positive contributor.

How likely is it that Bender or his agent would agree to that when some other rebuilding team looking for any players to spend their money on offers him a 1 yr proof it deal like Hezona?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re-signing Bender for cheap does not change much.

Regardless of how cheap he is, he blocks a roster spot.

Bender would have to accept a contract close to the minimum or a very cheap multi year deal because he is still 2-3 years away of potentially being a positive contributor.

How likely is it that Bender or his agent would agree to that when some other rebuilding team looking for any players to spend their money on offers him a 1 yr proof it deal like Hezona?

What do you mean he is 2-3 years away from being a positive contributor? He is damn close now. All he needs to do is get his 3 point shooting up to 35%+, and drive to the basket more often. He is already a positive on the defensive end.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What do you mean he is 2-3 years away from being a positive contributor? He is damn close now. All he needs to do is get his 3 point shooting up to 35%+, and drive to the basket more often. He is already a positive on the defensive end.
Slin has always hated Bender. That is not going to change.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Get ready for some obscure advanced stat from him that is supposed to show how awful Bender is. There's also 50/50 odds he'll say we should have kept Chriss and traded Bender in his reply also.

No one is quite sure what Bender did to wrong Slin but there has to be an incident that sparked that fire. It's too intense for it to be a simple player/fan hatred thing. I'd say it's more than being cut off in traffic and probably less than dating a family member of his. I'd put my money on Bender used to allow his dog to do his business in Slin's yard and wouldn't clean it up, if we're placing bets.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Get ready for some obscure advanced stat from him that is supposed to show how awful Bender is. There's also 50/50 odds he'll say we should have kept Chriss and traded Bender in his reply also.

No one is quite sure what Bender did to wrong Slin but there has to be an incident that sparked that fire. It's too intense for it to be a simple player/fan hatred thing. I'd say it's more than being cut off in traffic and probably less than dating a family member of his. I'd put my money on Bender used to allow his dog to do his business in Slin's yard and wouldn't clean it up, if we're placing bets.
He also REALLY liked Chriss, but we don't hear much about that now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He also REALLY liked Chriss, but we don't hear much about that now.

I've always thought it was a chicken or the egg sort of thing. Did he hate Bender first and that caused him to push for Chriss to succeed more or did he love Chriss so much that caused him to hate Bender, who was Chriss' primary competition.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always that if was a chicken or the egg sort of thing. Did he hate Bender first and that caused him to push for Chriss to succeed more or did he love Chriss so much that caused him to hate Bender, who was Chriss' primary competition.

My guess is Slin had Chriss rated higher than Bender. He didn't like Bender at all much less at #4.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The latest tweet by Oubre concerns me some.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is what im really wondering about. I think everyone on here agrees if this doesnt get done than offseason was beyond failure.

Does anyone know if that Kaminsky deal affects their ability to resign Oubre? I dont understand those Mid level exceptions.

On the positive side, id more than likely guess Oubre signing just waiting on them to find the best deal to clear cap, i.e. josh jackson trade

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson