Kelly Oubre...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s just do a little brain exercise right now. I am not proposing this, I am trying to figure ways the cap can be skirted.

If Kahwi suddenly decided that he wanted to come to Phoenix, is it even possible for the Suns to get him—cap wise?

My idea would be an Oubre sign and trade. Sign Oubre for $15 million or whatever Toronto wants. Add a first round pick, add Tyler’s contract. That would roughly be Kahwi’s $34 million starting price. Toronto could then waive and stretch Tyler or keep him for cap space next year.

Now. My question is if this is an allowable transaction? Can you combine an existing salary with a RFA in a sign and trade?

Again. This is just trying to understand allowable translations. It is not a realistic proposal.

I don't see why it couldn't be done. Wouldn't a RFA who signs to be traded cease to be a free agent?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Two way player—yes.
Wants to be here—yes.
Budding star—I am the cockeyed optimist on this board and I am not sure even I would claim that.
I think he has star potential, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is a certainty.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Winning games cures all but having enough talent to do it is another thing.

I view Oubre as the third piece to get the Suns to the next level. Most teams in the NBA got better. The Suns not only need to improve but take another step forward.

I'd choose Oubre over Russell without hesitation because he is a two way player and he wants to be here. Plus I view him as a budding star.
I was referring to your comment about them refusing to go after Russell more than anything. I personally think that Rubio will do more to help us win next year than Russell would have. Therefor the people that are upset with the front office for not pursuing him will get over it really quickly if what we brought in instead is leading to wins.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:shock:
Kawhi is not coming here.
Kawhi has already stated that there were 4 teams, that he wanted to play for.
I knew someone would do this. Did you read this? I was just thinking about how the cap and sign and trade works. I said nothing about Kawhi actually coming here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was referring to your comment about them refusing to go after Russell more than anything. I personally think that Rubio will do more to help us win next year than Russell would have. Therefor the people that are upset with the front office for not pursuing him will get over it really quickly if what we brought in instead is leading to wins.

Perhaps I am missing the point. I'm fine with Oubre and Rubio.

I rate Oubre much higher than D'Angelo Russell. The Suns were right in not paying Russell what the Warriors agreed to pay him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see why it couldn't be done. Wouldn't a RFA who signs to be traded cease to be a free agent?
Yeah. Technically, I think it would work, but there would be so many landmines. Kahwi would have to want to come here--which is not going to happen of course. Oubre would have to want to go to Toronto. Imagine the bargaining power he would have in that scenario. He could demand a lot. But technically it could work I think.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Perhaps I am missing the point. I'm fine with Oubre and Rubio.

I rate Oubre much higher than D'Angelo Russell. The Suns were right in not paying Russell what the Warriors agreed to pay him.
It wasn't really directed at you in particular, but those people that are upset that we didn't go after Russell. You don't particularly seem to be in that camp.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Technically, I think it would work, but there would be so many landmines. Kahwi would have to want to come here--which is not going to happen of course. Oubre would have to want to go to Toronto. Imagine the bargaining power he would have in that scenario. He could demand a lot. But technically it could work I think.

Like you pointed out, it was a nice exercise in theory but not likely to happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't really directed at you in particular, but those people that are upset that we didn't go after Russell. You don't particularly seem to be in that camp.

Oubre is more than Russell.

Rubio is more than anything the Suns had at point guard last season.

I'm still hoping to keep Tyler Johnson.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like you pointed out, it was a nice exercise in theory but not likely to happen.
OK. Since we are having fun with this. Devin Booker and Josh Jackson for Kawhi would work. Simple, straight up. Would you do it? (all hypothetical fantasy of course, which I have to say so the wise guys don't come on here reminding me of how miserable the Suns org is and how the Suns arent't on his list etc).

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
OK. Since we are having fun with this. Devin Booker and Josh Jackson for Kawhi would work. Simple, straight up. Would you do it? (all hypothetical fantasy of course, which I have to say so the wise guys don't come on here reminding me of how miserable the Suns org is and how the Suns arent't on his list etc).
NO. I think Devin Booker is going to be a better player because he is still growing as a player. Plus this team's timeline to win is YEARS down the road. Kawhi would be putting the cart before the horse. If we had won 50+ games and had a stacked team, and Booker could not perform in the playoffs, etc., then maybe yes.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NO. I think Devin Booker is going to be a better player because he is still growing as a player. Plus this team's timeline to win is YEARS down the road. Kawhi would be putting the cart before the horse. If we had won 50+ games and had a stacked team, and Booker could not perform in the playoffs, etc., then maybe yes.
Oh. I would do it in a heartbeat. A signed Kahwi is the biggest trade chip in the league. He is a two-way player. Booker is not. Kawhi, at this moment, is the best player on the planet. You make that deal. And Toronto would make that deal in a heartbeat too rather than lose Kawhi for nothing.

So here is the bottom line. The only thing standing in the way of Kawhi being a Sun is his willingness to come here. Of course he is not willing, but it everything else is doable.

So here is the next question. How would this team do competing?

Rubio, TJones, TyJerome
Bridges, Okobo, Melton
Kawhi, Oubre
Saric, Kaminsky
Ayton, Baynes

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

It's a pretty ridiculous exercise. Everything I hear about Leonard says he values loyalty, honesty, integrity, etc. Can you think of an owner that epitomizes those values less than Robert Sarver?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Oh. I would do it in a heartbeat. A signed Kahwi is the biggest trade chip in the league. He is a two-way player. Booker is not. Kawhi, at this moment, is the best player on the planet. You make that deal. And Toronto would make that deal in a heartbeat too rather than lose Kawhi for nothing.

So here is the bottom line. The only thing standing in the way of Kawhi being a Sun is his willingness to come here. Of course he is not willing, but it everything else is doable.
I will counter this. Possibly when you use that trade chip you get players back to make the trade work, and draft picks. Arguably the players back will be more than one and none will be equal to Kawhi, arguably. Possibly the draft picks can end up problematic like the Milwaukee pick we tried to use for a whole season that no team wanted for a PG. The team Kawhi goes to will arguably win a lot of games and if they trade you their picks, look for lower first round at best. Until I have more confidence in this front office making deals, I would steer clear of deal making, and keep the bird in the hand in Booker.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No "Huh" about it. :D

Plenty of huh about it unless you are simply going on wishful thinking or potential. Dreaming is free. :D

I like Oubre but DLO is 20/7 guy who also gets you 5 rebound per game. Oubre isn't there yet.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a pretty ridiculous exercise. Everything I hear about Leonard says he values loyalty, honesty, integrity, etc. Can you think of an owner that epitomizes those values less than Robert Sarver?
The whole league is waiting on Kawhi right now. Our rookies can't play in summer league until July 6. The Heat and Warriors just pulled off stuff like this. There are more possible options than we normally think of. Whether Kawhi is interested or not is beside the point. It is something to talk about.

Or we can go back to talking politics because that is always fun.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Suns had Leonard on a multi-year contract it's something to think about.

The Raptors got extremely lucky things fell together for them. Suns have Booker on a five year contract so they likely have a longer window to get it done.

A crazy idea did temporarily whiz through my mind (while brainstorming) that the Suns could trade Oubre to the Warriors for D'Angelo Russell... by no means do I support this idea.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The whole league is waiting on Kawhi right now. Our rookies can't play in summer league until July 6. The Heat and Warriors just pulled off stuff like this. There are more possible options than we normally think of. Whether Kawhi is interested or not is beside the point. It is something to talk about.

Or we can go back to talking politics because that is always fun.

OK then, I want to talk about the possibility of Scarlett Johansson being my girlfriend.
It's just as much a possiblility as Kawhi coming to the Suns. :shrug:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
OK then, I want to talk about the possibility of Scarlett Johansson being my girlfriend.
It's just as much a possiblility as Kawhi coming to the Suns. :shrug:
Me and BC were conjecturing about JLO yesterday and that didn't go so well. :(

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of huh about it unless you are simply going on wishful thinking or potential. Dreaming is free. :D

I like Oubre but DLO is 20/7 guy who also gets you 5 rebound per game. Oubre isn't there yet.

It's all a matter of how you view these things.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all a matter of how you view these things.

Totally agree. Facts aside...it's all in the eye of the beholder. ;) I think Oubre is definitely an X factor by the way. I hope he makes the next leap.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. Facts aside...it's all in the eye of the beholder. ;) I think Oubre is definitely an X factor by the way. I hope he makes the next leap.

We are definitely in agreement here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's good to air out different ideas once in a while to see where they lead.

Sometimes the crazier idea, the better chance it has in happening.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose