FA PG options

Who should we target this off season via FA/Trade?

• Malcolm Brogdon

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Darren Collison

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Patrick Beverley

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Jeff Teague

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • TJ McConnell

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Terry Rozier

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Ricky Rubio

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Goran Dragic

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Derrick Rose

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't get how 2 of the most obvious options are not on the pole.

Walker is a free agent and Jrue Holiday will almost certainly be available.

If we want to go the route of trading for a backup, Van Fleet only has a year left on his deal and unless Toronto decides to blow it up, they will almost certainly dangle him.
I like D'Angelo Russell, Van Fleet, Jrue Holiday, Lonzo Ball

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns draft Morant, I understand Tyler Johnson is willing to come off the bench. Add another veteran point guard and the Suns might be ready to go.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Suns draft Morant, I understand Tyler Johnson is willing to come off the bench. Add another veteran point guard and the Suns might be ready to go.

What do you mean "another" veteran point guard. The Suns don't have any. Tyler Johnson is no more of a point guard than T.J. Warren is.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If we get Morant I'd be fine with Tyler, Okobo, Melton and Crawford backing up the 1 and 2 spots. Not that I'd turn down a TJ type PG but I can't think of one that's likely to be available and willing to take that spot.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we get Morant I'd be fine with Tyler, Okobo, Melton and Crawford backing up the 1 and 2 spots. Not that I'd turn down a TJ type PG but I can't think of one that's likely to be available and willing to take that spot.

So, basically you would be fine with a repeat of this horrific season with a raw rookie who is nowhere near ready for NBA action added to the mix?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What if Dragic is only using his option to force a trade? I don't know, it doesn't make sense that he would opt out. I imagine he'd have his eyes on another return to Phoenix or going to Dallas to play with Luka. If he does become a free agent then I think the Suns should speak with him, depending on the cost and how he envisions his role beyond next season he might be a quality signing. If he wants to start next year and is willing to be a 6th man or backup PG the year following then I'd make an offer but I'd want some assurance on his part, perhaps a team option in case he rocks the boat.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I could live with Morant and Johnson at point guard but I'd still like to have another veteran point guard but perhaps that's not realistic.

Of course I like Crawford but I see him more as a situational player where the Suns might play him near the end of games where they need to spread the court for a last second shot.

Hopefully Okobo and Melton improve but I'm not counting on them just yet.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could live with Morant and Johnson at point guard but I'd still like to have another veteran point guard but perhaps that's not realistic.

Of course I like Crawford but I see him more as a situational player where the Suns might play him near the end of games where they need to spread the court for a last second shot.

Hopefully Okobo and Melton improve but I'm not counting on them just yet.

I would be more than happy with Morant and Johnson - because it means we beat the odds on the lottery.

Morant may have some flaws, but I don't think distributing the ball is one of them - with that I think he will be veteran level right out of the gate.

The thing with Okobo and Melton is both are terrible distributors. Passing is one of the skills that rarely improves much, it is more of you either have it or you don't usually.

I think both are combo type guards - and we really probably only have room for one or the other. I think Okobo has more potential offensively but obviously Melton is better defensively. I think at this moment I like Melton a little better for the team - but the fact he is only contract for one more year, when okobo is under contract for 3 more, I could see us keeping either one.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it is time to move on from at least one of Melton or Okobo. If we draft Ja, keep Tyler, and sign a vet like Rose, I would be good with that. Maybe then we keep one of Okobo or Melton. Rose can play the two as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like D'Angelo Russell, Van Fleet, Jrue Holiday, Lonzo Ball

Well I would like Russel, but I don't think he is realistically obtainable considering he is now New Jersey's star, and is restricted.

I like Jrue Holiday, but I think he is a bit older than I would like but he would be a good target if the cost isn't too high.

Lonzo, I don't know. For the right price yes, but to me he is a target of opportunity, not someone you should want to target.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What if Dragic is only using his option to force a trade? I don't know, it doesn't make sense that he would opt out. I imagine he'd have his eyes on another return to Phoenix or going to Dallas to play with Luka. If he does become a free agent then I think the Suns should speak with him, depending on the cost and how he envisions his role beyond next season he might be a quality signing. If he wants to start next year and is willing to be a 6th man or backup PG the year following then I'd make an offer but I'd want some assurance on his part, perhaps a team option in case he rocks the boat.

Dragic isn't a good player anymore. He was showing signs of decline before the year and this season he went off a cliff. We'd be better off with Tyler Johnson.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Memphis fired Bickerstaff in a weird way. J.B. Bickerstaff handled all of the player exit interviews and then in his exit interview with management he was fired. John Hollinger was a VP or something in their front office but he's been removed also and is now just a consultant, I believe. So the way that Memphis handled things was bad, really bad. You don't let a coach handle exit interviews with players and then fire him, that's not only bad form but idiotic.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Memphis fired Bickerstaff in a weird way. J.B. Bickerstaff handled all of the player exit interviews and then in his exit interview with management he was fired. John Hollinger was a VP or something in their front office but he's been removed also and is now just a consultant, I believe. So the way that Memphis handled things was bad, really bad. You don't let a coach handle exit interviews with players and then fire him, that's not only bad form but idiotic.

So, now we're faced with enduring an unqualified Igor another year, or else following Memphis's lead?

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I am one of the biggest Dragic fans, but I was lukewarm to the idea of Dragic for one year before his knee surgery. Goran can't guard a chair at this point, and I don't see how anyone can play two guards that can't defend a chair.

I suppose he knows Igor's system better than anyone else, so perhaps the first unit could outscore the opponents while the second unit shuts them down defensively, but I am not really willing to gamble on that. Johnson ran Igor's offense well enough after the first few games and before all the injuries, and he plays good defense. I would probably rather roll with Johnson at this point.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well I would like Russel, but I don't think he is realistically obtainable considering he is now New Jersey's star, and is restricted.

I like Jrue Holiday, but I think he is a bit older than I would like but he would be a good target if the cost isn't too high.

Lonzo, I don't know. For the right price yes, but to me he is a target of opportunity, not someone you should want to target.
Russel's explosion at the end of the year probably raised his price too high even if he wasn't restricted. Would be cool to see teams not being able to double up Booker if they had to play off Russel, or Zion, or Ayton, etc.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am one of the biggest Dragic fans, but I was lukewarm to the idea of Dragic for one year before his knee surgery. Goran can't guard a chair at this point, and I don't see how anyone can play two guards that can't defend a chair.

I suppose he knows Igor's system better than anyone else, so perhaps the first unit could outscore the opponents while the second unit shuts them down defensively, but I am not really willing to gamble on that. Johnson ran Igor's offense well enough after the first few games and before all the injuries, and he plays good defense. I would probably rather roll with Johnson at this point.

Dragic is in decline for sure. I's rather go after Conley.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My ideal is Morant and a PF. Stick with Johnson and spend the money on a solid PF or two.

Johnson, Morant, Melton/Okobo isnt a massive weakness.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My ideal is Morant and a PF. Stick with Johnson and spend the money on a solid PF or two.

Johnson, Morant, Melton/Okobo isnt a massive weakness.

How can you possibly say that? Did you miss this past season in its entirety?

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hornet's guard Walker is going to NY. His Mom said he is gone after the last game. I'm in the Ja Morant corner.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson