Update: David Johnson sits out, wants contract extension

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I get it. He's a running back...get your money now.
I didn't see this coming with this kid. Mr. Humble huh . . ?

He is doing what he has to do like several other top players from his draft class.

And how is wanting to be paid fairly anything to do with being Humble?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I get it. He's a running back...get your money now.
I didn't see this coming with this kid. Mr. Humble huh . . ?
We haven’t heard a peep out of DJ mouth.
It could be worse, he could be doing sit ups in his drive way like T.O. did, once upon a time.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He is doing what he has to do like several other top players from his draft class.

And how is wanting to be paid fairly anything to do with being Humble?

He is paid fairly. He's paid the contract that he signed as a rookie 3rd round pick. Reach the end of your contract and then we'll deal with you.

He played 46 snaps of football last season! He fumbled twice in 17 touches!

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Better now than in TC in a few weeks. If he's going to be your workhorse RB for years to come pay this kid now Keim before he gets hurt and loses everything. Smart business sense by DJ and his agent.

Reaction score
He is paid fairly. He's paid the contract that he signed as a rookie 3rd round pick. Reach the end of your contract and then we'll deal with you.

He sucks. We should just cut his sorry ass.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

And he got paid. For that.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I miss the players of old - like Junior Seau. He was once asked by a reporter if he planned to hold out for a better deal. He shot the idea down quickly and said he signed a contract and he would play it out. He then hinted that - obviously - he would be asking for more money the next time around.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Isn't at least one of those fumbles from playing while his wrist was hurt?

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
We should combine his last 2 seasons and average them out and then pay him according to the average.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Interesting point of views here. So the point of some is DJ should get paid for performances he may or may not have in the future or pay him based on his previous performances. The only problem here to me is the length of the contract. It should be no more than 3-4 years at best. The average career of a RB in the NFL is 3 years. Even the best on average have 3 great years before starting the slow downhill slide to obscurity. Chris Johnson, Arian Foster, Brandon Jacobs, Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Jamaal Charles all had 3-4 great seasons and then quickly sub-crumbed to injuries. DJ is already 1-1/2 seasons into that 3-4 great seasons time frame. Does a contract beyond 3 years make any sense considering the history of RBs in the NFL? Yes, there have been exceptions but the laws of averages are certainly against DJ especially now that he has already suffered a season ending injury. Give him a 3 year contract in the range of Freeman with however the contract also needs to have certain performance clauses that protect the team should he be injured.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1) Compared to the rest of society, athletes are far overpaid.
2) Compared to other impact players in the NFL, David Johnson is far underpaid.

This holdout was expected and is a normal/natural part of the contract negotiation tactics. Look at how many other holdouts started across the league with the start of mandatory OTA. My BR app was blowing up with them the last 2 days.

He'll be under new contract by week 1 if not sooner. Bank it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
all things considered the smart move for the team is to make him play out his contract,...tag him for a season or two... then let him walk.

right now DJ has zero leverage. he got hurt last year, missed nearly the entire season...and has yet to take a snap to show he is actually healthy. Hard to judge if a guy is game healthy when they aint allowed to touch each other in camp.

any of you that think a wrist injury is not important to a RB are,...well,... friggin stoned or maybe genetically incapable of cognizant thought..

a RB has to hold on to the ball as various 2-300 pound pro athletes try to punch it out of their hand at any given moment.

y'all are gonna feel so justified in your support when he gets fat paid then proceeds to fumble 30 times this season.

That injury is serious,...akin to a QB damaging his throwing shoulder or a WR breaking fingers.

the team really needs to wait and see if he can return to form during live fire.

as I mentioned before...I would give him five years, fifty million, 25 million guaranteed....I think it is a fair amount for both sides.. DJ is a flat out hoss when he is healthy....
but we need to be sure he is healthy... so if they give him a nice deal now it needs to have the caveat that if that wrist affects his play,...he forfeits 50% of the deal.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
exactly.

I got no problem with this.

I really think 99.9% of NFL fans would do the same in they were in his shoes. His body and athletic skill is his most precious commodity. If he has a tragic injury next year, he will throw away a very good contract that he WILL get this year.

For whatever reason, I have no logic other Keim and Bidwill Jr have made it point to treat their best players in the best way possible, I really believe an extension will be done before camp.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really think 99.9% of NFL fans would do the same in they were in his shoes. His body and athletic skill is his most precious commodity. If he has a tragic injury next year, he will throw away a very good contract that he WILL get this year.

For whatever reason, I have no logic other Keim and Bidwill Jr have made it point to treat their best players in the best way possible, I really believe an extension will be done before camp.

I think so too. This is all just part of negotiating.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Junior Sean also had his life ended as result of the beating he took. Get it, David. He's not being greedy...he is waaaay under paid.

No.

Junior took his own life.

he didnt "have it ended"...nobody "did it to him"... he did it himself.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson