GM Steve Keim

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Even if the Cardinals come up with a QB, I am not sure GM SK has theteamoised to compete in the NFC West.
Where is DE-OLB H Reddick?
DL R Nkemdiche?
DB B Williams?
WR C Williams?
DB B Baker?
DL R Gunter?
TE T Niklas?
OL E Boehm?
DE-OLB K Martin?
OL D Johnson?
Some of them have made plays. All are being counted on for the future. Look at the track record. I am skeptical.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As upset as I sometimes get with BA, SK is really the reason why the window has been slammed shut for this team. If BA retires or is fired, I will be sad. Keim has been a POOR GM & has left us in a bad spot moving forward.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
As upset as I sometimes get with BA, SK is really the reason why the window has been slammed shut for this team. If BA retires or is fired, I will be sad. Keim has been a POOR GM & has left us in a bad spot moving forward.
all SK can do is sign players. It is the coaches job to get them ready to play. SK has brought in lots of players, many of them talented... but somehow they get to arizona and get worse.... that aint on SK
I mean come on... this kicker says he misses kicks because he is a cardinal now and the cardinals have issues with kicking?? or something to the effect?
guys like watford and Boehm played better in their rookie season than they do now. that aint on the GM, that is squarely on the coaching staff.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Um, did you forget about Rod Graves?

This is Keim's first regime; most GM's will get two or three unless they utterly suck and Keim is no where near that. No need to pull the plug in him.

I've got no problem with Keim so far.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, did you forget about Rod Graves?

This is Keim's first regime; most GM's will get two or three unless they utterly suck and Keim is no where near that. No need to pull the plug in him.

I've got no problem with Keim so far.

He is not perfect but what GM is? No GM bats close 1000. Now, is he the greatest? NO. Is he the best the AZ cardinals have had? YES

No one argue against either my yes or no, so I am just dropping the mic....

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Graves does have a great track record of drafting. Fitz, CC, DD, Dansby, Boldin, the list goes on. He sucked at getting FAs but ended up finding the right players in the draft. Did he have some bad ones, of course, but the list of players he drafted still playing at a high level is up there.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Graves does have a great track record of drafting. Fitz, CC, DD, Dansby, Boldin, the list goes on. He sucked at getting FAs but ended up finding the right players in the draft. Did he have some bad ones, of course, but the list of players he drafted still playing at a high level is up there.

Stop. Three of the players mentioned were from a single draft that was widely speculated Denny Green orchestrated. And Anquan was acquired after trading away the chance to draft Terrell Suggs so we could get Bryant 'Skillet Hands' Johnson. CC was just proving a broken clock is right twice a day.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He sucked at getting FAs but ended up finding the right players in the draft.
Well, he did sign Warner, so he at least had that FA signing going for him.

I always thought Denny Green would have made a great GM or at least player eval director for the draft. He definitely had an eye for talent.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SK has been a poor GM? Holy crap some of you guys need check in with reality.

we were just legit super bowl contenders two seasons ago. Is it SK fault Honey Badger got hurt and isn't the same player? Is it SK fault David Johnson got hurt or that it's been musical chairs with injuries on our line

How's Chandler Jones working out Huh let me guess he sucks to

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keim has to try to draft players that fit what the coaches want, that is a touch job - Seattle has had a hell of a time drafting in the secondary and receivers, after striking gold the first couple of years under Carroll and what's his name.

You'll have to judge Keim by how he handles a draft with the next coaching staff who may pursue something beyond versatility and the ability to pull from OL (as an example).

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Keim is a relatively new GM. its diff when you are the final authority.

I think he has too many picks where he over valued size / athleticism and under valued experience and productivity-- think of it as reaching for upside at a given spot in the draft

The list of his underwhelming draft picks all tend to have this in common:

Ideal triangle numbers, great athleticism but questions on productivity and/or experience.

Niklas, Brandon Williams, Humphries, Chad Williams, Reddick, Nkemdiche

I think some will work: Humphries needs to stay healthy. Reddick will be fine at some point..... but too many misses

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sk is an ok Gm. He is mediocre in drafting talent. He is great at making 1 move a year that produces in short bursts. He is terrible at retaining talent. He is living off borrowed time. The true test will be what he does to get this team back into contention. He has to show any ability to rebuild.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sk is an ok Gm. He is mediocre in drafting talent. He is great at making 1 move a year that produces in short bursts. He is terrible at retaining talent. He is living off borrowed time. The true test will be what he does to get this team back into contention. He has to show any ability to rebuild.
considering your point its pretty clear is not an ok Manager

OP
OP
A

artp

Registered
Reaction score
There are hits and misses. But do any of these draft picks look like future stars? Future Pro Bowlers? I know its not to late for some of them, but a team needs stars.

PitchShifter

The other Big Red
Reaction score
On the Move The Sticks podcast they compared the approaches of Arizona, and I think it was the Bengals. They said the Bengals always pick players from the big conferences (with baggage it must be said) and Arizona are known to scout a lot of small school prospects.

When a Bengals personnel person was asked about their approach his reply was - why spend so much more time and resources scouting players in smaller conferences when they are multiple players of equivalent talent in the larger conferences.

I can't help but think the focus on "diamonds in the rough" is affecting the Cardinals ability to scout solid prospects. Way too many misses on players that just aren't ready for whatever reason, or over drafted small-school prospects. What's wrong with picking good players who perform against quality opposition?

Not to mention having the self-confessed quarterback whisperer and lacking the gonads to actually draft a QBOF with a high pick.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

The true test of any GM and longevity is the ability to draft a franchise QB... half of that is luck no matter how good you are at evaluating the position but that is what decides his fate with the organization

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The true test of any GM and longevity is the ability to draft a franchise QB... half of that is luck no matter how good you are at evaluating the position but that is what decides his fate with the organization

Coaching. Being able to cater the offense to the QB's strengths...like Doug Peterson incorporating a number of Carson Wentz's favorite plays at North Dakota St. into the Eagles' playbook.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Keim's Report Card for me

QB - C, got Palmer, no long term answer
LT - C, got Veldheer, Humphries has proven nothing
Pass Rusher - B, drafted Golden and traded for Jones. Let Campbell go, Nkemdiche is meh
First Round Picks - D, bad.
Mid Round Picks - A, really good.
FAs - C. Mixed bag.
Re-signing Players - C+. A lot of turnover, but most keys guys kept.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless we can answer the question: "If not SK...who?", I'd just as soon we stick with the Stever.

Success in the NFL is a combination of football knowledge, percentages, execution, matchups & luck. The most we can ask of ownership, staff and coaches is that they stay true to a sound set of processes and have solid reasons for doing what they do.

There are two approaches to evaluating football mgt. (1) Results are everything (& even 'bad luck' is unacceptable or (2) Process and smarts will prevail in the long run. My gut says: "Fire 'em if they don't win." My head says: "The "fire 'em' approach is how you get to be Cleveland. Stick with sound process, be consistent and build a fundamentally sound winner.

(Note - This doesn't mean you don't fire your staff if you feel they're erratic, incompetent, rebellious or stupid. You just shouldn't fire people for firing sake).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Stop. Three of the players mentioned were from a single draft that was widely speculated Denny Green orchestrated. And Anquan was acquired after trading away the chance to draft Terrell Suggs so we could get Bryant 'Skillet Hands' Johnson. CC was just proving a broken clock is right twice a day.

Not to mention that HORRIBLE Saints trade had us trade BACK in the second round, meaning we might not get Anquan. AND that it wasn't Graves, but a scout, that pushed the pick.

As for Keim? Too many misses in the top rounds of the draft, going for too many project picks.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
snip

(Note - This doesn't mean you don't fire your staff if you feel they're erratic, incompetent, rebellious or stupid. You just shouldn't fire people for firing sake).

I don't think any of them are rebellious, but I certainly see the other 3 sins applying to everyone in mgmt from Keim on down. We need a complete house cleaning.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Keim said today on Doug and Wolf that Stanton could start versus the Texans despite his knee injury and that Stanton "couldn't have played much better" versus the Seahawks, that it was the WRs who let the team down.

Just when I was defending Keim's roster building this week, he says obtuse things like this. Any time a QB is erratic throwing the ball it can have a significant effect the WRs' timing and confidence. They don't know if the pass is going to sail (see Gresham), be thrown a little behind them (see John and Jaron Brown), come at them quickly and wobbly (see J.J. Nelson) or miss them completely when they are wide open (see NBC clip of 4 wide open missed passes, 3 of which were on 3rd downs). Good thing for Stanton that Larry Fitzgerald can catch passes thrust from a juggs machine into hurricane type winds, otherwise Stanton's completion rate would have been in the low 40s, just as it was last year.

This makes me want to rethink my position on Keim. Maybe he is part of the biggest problems after all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson