Rams Game Preview

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/?p=619

I think the Cards should win this one — this team wasn't very good before the lost a bunch of guys for the season after playing us. But at the same time, I'm a little worried. Here's what our defensive-adjusted performance has looked like this year:

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2015/week-12-dvoa-ratings

We have appeared to level off a little bit into a pretty average team — not exactly where you want to be as the injuries start piling up. I hope this team can still recover and finish the season strong.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think this game will closer than what people think. Rams Offense has digressed and their oline is in shambles but Fisher always has them ready for a division game especially at home.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I think this game will closer than what people think. Rams Offense has digressed and their oline is in shambles but Fisher always has them ready for a division game especially at home.

Division games are their Super Bowls. It's the only time this pathetic franchise shows up these days.

That being said, we can mathematically eliminate them from the NFCW race this week, a thought that brings me endless joy.

Screw the Rams.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice matchups to watch & the best picture so far :) Time to turn her into a Cardinal fan.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
NFL Media ‏@NFLMedia 5m5 minutes ago
This Sunday on @NFLGameDay Morning at 9a ET -- @michaelirvin88 1-on-1 w/ Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Arizona Sports ‏@AZSports 1m1 minute ago
Bruce Arians: Out for the game is Powers, Ellington, Rucker.

So Redding may go? Maybe? Please?

He is the only other Cardinal to DNP this week. The other 3 are out.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I think the Cards should win this one — this team wasn't very good before the lost a bunch of guys for the season after playing us. But at the same time, I'm a little worried. Here's what our defensive-adjusted performance has looked like this year:

We have appeared to level off a little bit into a pretty average team — not exactly where you want to be as the injuries start piling up. I hope this team can still recover and finish the season strong.

Sure, tell the Bengals we are average... wait, you have a cool stat chart lol

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Bob McManaman ‏@azbobbymac 26s27 seconds ago
Az Cardinals list RB Ellington, CB Powers and DT Rucker as out against the Rams. DT Redding will travel and is questionable.

Questionable = 50/50

That is progress!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If DVOA thinks we're an average team, then I like my average team, especially when it is on a 5-game winning streak.

I think we beat the **** out of the Rams. Like >14 points. They are swirling the drain and have numerous distractions, including coach, QB, concussion, Los Angeles, and others. Additionally, Gurley is starting to slow down, who's the Rams's biggest offensive threat.

Furthermore, Arizona wants to rebound from the Week 4 game to show that that game was a fluke. This one is personal

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Official Injury Report. We may not see Zuerlein, their best chance to score in this game, IMO.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Is there a team in the league that is not trending down in the same way? It's only natural. Between Injuries and opponents having film to study. Seems very logical to trend down, even for a good team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If DVOA thinks we're an average team, then I like my average team, especially when it is on a 5-game winning streak.

I think we beat the **** out of the Rams. Like >14 points. They are swirling the drain and have numerous distractions, including coach, QB, concussion, Los Angeles, and others. Additionally, Gurley is starting to slow down, who's the Rams's biggest offensive threat.

Furthermore, Arizona wants to rebound from the Week 4 game to show that that game was a fluke. This one is personal

I thought the Niner game would be close but I too think we are going to blow the Rams out :)

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Is there a team in the league that is not trending down in the same way? It's only natural. Between Injuries and opponents having film to study. Seems very logical to trend down, even for a good team

Follow the link and answer your own question:

DVOA thinks we're PLAYING like an average team against those opponents — one reason our DVOA was so low last week was because the 49ers are ranked 32nd. Overall, we're ranked 6th in their weighted ranking (which weights more recent games) and 2nd in overall DVOA. Here's what they have to say:

The Cardinals have gone from steamrolling their opponents to mostly playing a little bit above average, and the results are much better -- after all, the Cardinals beat both Seattle and Cincinnati despite having lower DVOA ratings than their opponents for both games. (We covered that in the DVOA commentary each of the last two weeks; archive here.) The same goes for this week's close and ugly win over the San Francisco Gabberts, although this time the Cardinals' DVOA is lower primarily because of huge opponent adjustments for playing No. 32 San Francisco, not because the unadjusted ratings for the game actually put the 49ers higher.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Panthers seem to be getting stronger. those eek out W's against bad teams are turning into absolute ass-kickings.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Panthers seem to be getting stronger. those eek out W's against bad teams are turning into absolute ass-kickings.

Cincy doesn't seem to be regressing toward the mean much. They lost to Houston on a Thursday game. Just lost to us on the road, and then put the hurt on this Rams team at home.

Seattle is probably getting better — people look at their record and think they're medicore, but four of their losses are by a COMBINED 17 points.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
its pretty simple. We are playing the meat of our schedule.

Bengals are top 3 offense. I thought we held them somewhat in check but gave up like 3-4 3rd and 20s which to me is an anamoly. Especially since two i believe were on penalties.

Seahawks only scored that many points because of two turnovers on our end of field that gifted them 14 points. Other then that I dont feel like they moved the ball that well.

Game before that the Browns moved the ball better then anyone for 1 half. Then got completely shut out. and that streak continued for nearly a full game as SEA only scored right before half. Both games on the road.

49ers only scored 13 points. Lets see what the Rams and Vikings do before we worry about the defense. To be honest i think the whole conversation is dumb. We have the best offense in the NFL. We play Top 10 defense (which we have all year) and keep generating turnovers we could/should win the Super Bowl. Only team even close is Pats, and ill take the talent on our D over theres every day of the week.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

It's personal on both sides... And when was the last time the Cards demolished a division rival on the road?
With DJ as our #1 RB, and our o-line allowing Palmer to get bounced around all game, I'm thinking there is a turnover or two waiting to happen there... which will ensure this game stays close.
Honestly, I know we can use the W... but I'm just hoping we come out of the Lou with no more bodies going down...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
its pretty simple. We are playing the meat of our schedule.

Bengals are top 3 offense. I thought we held them somewhat in check but gave up like 3-4 3rd and 20s which to me is an anamoly. Especially since two i believe were on penalties.

Seahawks only scored that many points because of two turnovers on our end of field that gifted them 14 points. Other then that I dont feel like they moved the ball that well.

Game before that the Browns moved the ball better then anyone for 1 half. Then got completely shut out. and that streak continued for nearly a full game as SEA only scored right before half. Both games on the road.

49ers only scored 13 points. Lets see what the Rams and Vikings do before we worry about the defense. To be honest i think the whole conversation is dumb. We have the best offense in the NFL. We play Top 10 defense (which we have all year) and keep generating turnovers we could/should win the Super Bowl. Only team even close is Pats, and ill take the talent on our D over theres every day of the week.

Back to Back Sunday nighters against top talented teams... We lose bodies and head up to SF and scratch out a game. Now head up to St. Louis and then a short week Thursday nighter at home against the Vikes. That's a brutal schedule...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cincy doesn't seem to be regressing toward the mean much. They lost to Houston on a Thursday game. Just lost to us on the road, and then put the hurt on this Rams team at home.

Seattle is probably getting better — people look at their record and think they're medicore, but four of their losses are by a COMBINED 17 points.

yeah, I think people are completely sleeping on Seattle. They had an incredibly tough schedule early, but if they win @ Minny (which I expect them to do), it's clear sailing for them until the last game of the season.

I don't think we're getting worse though. I think we just played an awful game and have a bunch of guys banged up while going into the toughest part of the schedule. Those blowout W's at the beginning of the season are a thing of yesteryear.

I just hope we can maintain the 2 seed and get Ellington, Powers and Rucker healthy for the divisional round. Each one of those guys are important pieces for the offense and defense. With 'em, I think we can go into Carolina and win, even if we only play a B+ game. Without all of them, we're gonna have to play our best game of the year... which you probably have to play anyway if you want to win on the road to go to the Super Bowl.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah, I think people are completely sleeping on Seattle. They had an incredibly tough schedule early, but if they win @ Minny (which I expect them to do), it's clear sailing for them until the last game of the season.

I don't think we're getting worse though. I think we just played an awful game and have a bunch of guys banged up while going into the toughest part of the schedule. Those blowout W's at the beginning of the season are a thing of yesteryear.

I just hope we can maintain the 2 seed and get Ellington, Powers and Rucker healthy for the divisional round. Each one of those guys are important pieces for the offense and defense. With 'em, I think we can go into Carolina and win, even if we only play a B+ game. Without all of them, we're gonna have to play our best game of the year... which you probably have to play anyway if you want to win on the road to go to the Super Bowl.

I think we can beat Carolina too ONLY if we play a A+ game.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey, I've still never recovered from your emphatic "elite teams don't lose to Landry Jones" lesson from earlier this season. We have no hope, so don't try to fluff us for the money shot by saying crap like "I hope this team can still recover and finish the season strong. ". We've got no money to shoot,as our hopes for a title died on Oct. 18, 2015, as you so wonderfully proved, you all knowing savant you.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DVOA is flawed. It's not an accurate analysis of team strength currently, nor an accurate predictor of team strength going forward.

I see quotes like:

"The Cardinals have gone from steamrolling their opponents to mostly playing a little bit above average..."

"After all, the Cardinals beat both Seattle and Cincinnati despite having lower DVOA ratings than their opponents for both games."

"Because the Cardinals keep winning despite the lower DVOA ratings..."

and I can only come to one conclusion, it's nonsense. It's trying to apply baseball statistics to football and it doesn't work. Seattle had a better DVOA than us going into their absolute beat-down against us? Really? I understand they put different weights on things and use metrics, but that's nonsense.

Furthermore, people can't even read their own stats. You know what that dumb graph (I hate graphs and pie charts, just talk to me bro) tells me?

It tells me that earlier in the year we had weaker opponents we dominated. It tells me the last 3 games we've played quality opponents with high DVOA's, and we've beaten them. According to the beautiful graph supplied, it suggests that we're slightly above average against a SB team last year, and a Cinci team that was 9-1 at the time we played them. So our DVOA was slightly above average against good teams, and exceptional against crap teams. That's what I'm seeing.

I'll take the win every day.

Last edited: