Sit bit relax: It is going to be a few days

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
NFL Free agency - week 1 = punishment

If you need to go out and find a player week 1 then your organization messed up somewhere. Whether it be a past coach, or past GM there was a screw up and it needs to be fixed.

Jared Veldheer is going to cost about 7 million a year. I don't know how the Cardinals pulled off those numbers but they did. Great move, a needed move, and a move that lets them FINALLY say they have a NFL caliber left tackle.

Nothing is what it is until the players hit the field, with pads on. Yet, on paper this move can take the left tackle position from what has been a status quo of dire straits and put it into a stable state. Kind of like what Carson Palmer did for the QB position last year, but more of a upgrade at the position, IMHO.

I still believe that Brandon Albert was the best talent that was available at the position but as free agency is, it is always a gamble on whom the team can acquire. Jared Veldheer is a good left tackle, but not great. He is going to be paid big money to be good, and that is OK because that is what happens when you sign a player in the first week of free agency, heck, it was the first minute of free agency actually.

But, again, it is a good move, and when the Cardinals cut Daryn Colledge and his 7 million a year contract, Veldheer slid right into that pay scale on the roster.

So, now sit back, relax and enjoy the show. I guarantee that while Keim accepted a long time ago that he would have to pay the big money to fix the LT position, he doesn't like playing around in free agency in the first week of the free agent period. Actually, I believe very few teams want to be signing players in the first week of the free agency period because you are going to "overpay" with big contracts that will eventually lead to "tough decisions" and dead money down the line.

Yet, as I have repeated thought out it is a necessary evil, so to speak.

For that reason, the Cardinals are done. They will sit back allow players to sign here and there, let the price go down on players, and wait it out like they did last season. Why not ? It worked before.

They have a few needs left, but how many demand the fix that the left tackle position required ? Not any, IMO. The roster's base for the 2014 season is pretty set, and pretty solid, IMO.

If you were to field a video game football team with the players currently on the roster, (think tecmo bowl, four offensive plays, four defensive plays, both in a single base formation, and the same 11 players out on the field at all times) you would have this:

Mind you this is purely speculation, and pencil on napkin talk, none of what is shown below is going to be (unless things go optimally) what this team will field in 2014, the offseason just started:

QB: Carson Palmer
HB: Andre Ellington
TE: Rob Houlser
TE: John Carlson
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
WR: Michael Floyd
LT: Jared Veldheer
LG: Jonathan Cooper
OC: Lyle Sendlein
RG: Earl Watford (that is the hope anyway)
RT: Bobby Massie
------------------
NT: Dan Williams
DE: Darnell Dockett
DE: Calais Campbell
OLB: John Abraham
OLB: Sam Acho
ILB: Kevin Minter
ILB: Daryl Washington
CB: Patrick Peterson
CB: Jerraud Powers
FS: Rashad Johnson (Tyrann Matheui)
SS: Tony Jefferson

That is not bad and a significant upgrade from years past. Again we are 1 day into the offseason, but above is the roster that the Cardinals are going to try to improve. That is the base, and they will build from there.

Yet, my point is, if that is the base they are working from, then I cannot see them spending anymore during the first week or so of free agency. The Cardinals will let the big money period go by, and start to look for club friendly deals to players that can improve upon the base list of players shown above.

The needs in priority (IMO) going forward are:

1. Pass Rusher:
The Cardinals have there pass rusher for 2014. I would assume the Cardinals are looking for young talent to come in to prepare for when John Abraham shows his age. This is not available in free agency, thus the draft is where this will be addressed. There will be a lot of pass rushing options when the Cardinals pick.

FYI: The guy I want at #20, if the is still there, is Aaron Donald.

2. Defensive End:
The Cardinals have their two defensive ends for 2014. I would assume the Cardinals are looking for young talent to come in to prepare for when Darnell Dockett shows his age.

3. Safety:
I like Tony Jefferson, I like Rashad Johnson, but I believe the Cardinals will take the opportunity that Tryann Matheui's injury has created and bring in a safety that will replace the role Yeremiah Bell played for this team last season. A bigger, near the line of scrimmage type safety.

4. Tight End:
The Cardinals have brought in a lot of tight ends. The roster is setup for the Cardinals to carry four players. Rob Houlser is what he is as a player, and I believe the Cardinals (ala Levi Brown) are going to look to improve the talent that for the role Housler plays on this team. Not to mention while the Cardinals do have a lot players on the roster at tight end, I question the talent level of most of them. This position still has a lot of work to be done to improve it. Yet, nothing that needs the attention of the first week or so of free agency.

From here on in I would say there are needs, but these are for roles on the team, depth guys, specialty players:

5. Speed WR:
This is a bit of a grey area. I would be pained if the Cardinals (and I do NOT expect them to do this) went and paid big money for a player whom is a 3rd WR in a offense that is primarily going to be two tight ends. Thus it is a matter of fit, and money. The wide receiver market is down, WAY down, thus to wait it out may be the best option to land a fast wide receiver for the right price for his role.

6. Coverage ILB:
While I do not believe losing Karlos Dansby is a "end of days" type of event, it still sucks, and while I like Kevin Minter and believe he will fill the role we need him to fill, he is not going to be Karlos Dansby. For two reasons the Cardinals need a ILB with good coverage skills: 1. In nickel packages there will be a need for a ILB that can be out on the field that can cover TE's and RB's along with Washington, and 2. Who knows what will happen with Washington based on his legal troubles.

7. Cornerback: - As it stands, Justin Bethel is our only depth guy.

8. Offensive Line Depth: - There is a open spot on the roster, and it is always good to invest into the offensive line. Paul Fanaika and Bradley Sowell are set for 2014, but I won't be complaining improvements are brought in.

9. Running Back: - This is debatable. Ellington, Taylor, Williams. That is what the Cardinals have on the roster right now. There is room to bring in another back, but it is no where near critical, IMO.

10. Gunner on special teams: Bryan McCann is gone, and while Teddy Williams played a little bit last year, he is coming off injury. So, there is that, and the fact I wanted an even 10 on my list, so I am stretching here :D

Yes, it is only one move (signing Jared Veldheer), but a move that can be described like the rug in The Dude's apartment, meaning it really ties the roster together.

The rest of the offseason we can enjoy team friendly deals, and the luxury of going BPA in the draft, and what a nice deep, draft to have that luxury in.

If he were a Cardinals fan, I would be confident saying, "The Dude abides".

You must be registered for see images attach

EDIT: MODS Please fix the title to say "back" instead of "bit". I shouldn't post early in the morning, the connections are not set in the brain yet. LOL!

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Well done. I expect to see us bring in an FA RB and DB sometime soon, but as you say, not during the desperation run. It is looking more and more to me that our first, possibly, three picks in the draft will be on defense. LB and S in the first two rounds pending exactly which LB's and which S is available at the pick...then DE/DT in the third......fills team needs and fits well with the depth in this particular draft.

THe Veldheer signing is huge to me...a "Turning the corner" kind of acquisition.....IMO the guy still has more room to improve in the pass protection area than the pundits have mentioned, but he is young and constantly getting better at this point. Having a solid "control the clock" kind of o-line makes the entire team better.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yep, prepared to wait patiently.

I am confident in this front office to make the right signings at the right time...they had an early target and got him, lost out on Dansby but you know they have a plan B.

They will swing and miss on one or more (Like Brinkley & Arenas last year) but they will make what they feel are intelligent decisions.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. We are in a waiting mode right now.

Glad we got us a solid LT right away with a club friendly contract. Took lots of pressure off the FO.

Now it's time to shop for more bargains and not spend like a sailor on leave.

Really like the way the FO is going about their business.

Unlike other years I have confidence we will make more moves that work out for us that ones that fail.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Wow. I just realized that with the signing of Valdheer (and even with the loss od Dansby) our biggest need right now is probably TE...and is isnt a gaping hole. Things are looking good for this season.

It is nice for me personally to be excited about the off season. For the past few years I have noticed that I didnt really care what was happening in the off season amd I realize now that it was because nothing was really happening in the off season. Oh, the Cards signed players and of course drafted players but is is so clear now that there was absolutely no plan. Just what fell into their lap. Its nice to be able to look at what is going on and think, "Yeah, I see what they are doing. That makes sense."

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if we do sign shaunessy, what happens to Acho and his clone from the same school? We have a ton of run stuffing smart OLBs but only one true pass rusher and he is nearing his end.

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with all this. Great post RugbyMuffin.
I think we still do have two semi-urgent needs, speed OLB and tall-ish Safety.
I don't think the need is so great that we "have" to pick one early, but to me these area's need addressed.
The others, TE, speed WR, DE, RT, CB, etc. are wants, places we could use an upgrade but not quite at the level of "need".
We are in a postion to definitely go BPA in the draft.
If either of the top 2 safeties are available, that would be my first choice. If they love Shazier or Van Noy, that would be a great fit too.
But if a CB, TE or DE we really like falls to us, I'd be happy with that too.
It looks like CB is loaded in this draft and I would have no problem with us grabbing one of the uber-talented CB's that are sure to be available at 20.
Either way we go, I think we're sitting in a very good position, the best we've had in recent memory.
Let's go find some playmakers!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm surprised how quickly people forget that last year we signed five free agents on the Wednesday after free agency started, and then just kind of nibbled around until the start of training camp.

The Cards' free agent movement is going to be this week. We'll nibble around the edges after the first week, but the free agent board has been set, and they're going to work through those options. The difference is that they're probably not going to be headline moves. More Matt Shaughnessey than Rashard Mendenhall.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm surprised how quickly people forget that last year we signed five free agents on the Wednesday after free agency started, and then just kind of nibbled around until the start of training camp.

The Cards' free agent movement is going to be this week. We'll nibble around the edges after the first week, but the free agent board has been set, and they're going to work through those options. The difference is that they're probably not going to be headline moves. More Matt Shaughnessey than Rashard Mendenhall.

That man is right on that, just look at the dates from last year. And correct, I definitely forgot that aspect of last offseason, forgive me, this wheeling and dealing is new to me. I am used to waiting for Rod Graves to realize that he didn't flip over his calender the week before, and just now realized its March, then waiting two or three days for him to realize "Oh Damn, Free Agency started." and turn on his Jitterbug cell phone.

We will see, but you are right, if this is anything like last year, they are going to go after the mid tier guys now, not later.

Bonus question for K9. Who is the next guy off the free agent board ?

Last edited:

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Somebody compared what happened last year to a game of musical chairs. Where it gets to the end and you're one of the last guys standing and you have to rush to find a chair and then you have to fight a guy over the last chair. I like that analogy.

I wonder if agents are going to be more proactive this year and not let that happen again. At least not to the same degree. Maybe the cap going up will curb that effect some.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My thoughts heading forward

I think the Cards sign Matt Shaughnessy or Mike Neal by the end of this week. Both similar style of players so I think we go one or the other.

I think we go after a CB soon...Mike Jenkins has been reported and I imagine we will sign this level of player if they don't sign Jenkins. While I would like a bit better of a player, I can understand their reasoning.

With the RB market being what it is, I think the Cards will take a shot at it. Too much value and allows Ellington to be used more outside while also providing a credible running threat.

#

My favorite players remaining who would be good fits...

RB-Ben Tate (if demand keeps price down)
RB-LeGarrette Blount (same as Tate)

WR-Lance Moore (vertical threat, doesn't affect comp picks)
WR-Jacoby Jones (provides return options)

OL-Eric Winston (familiar w/ system)
OL-Willie Colon (vet inside which we lack, has played under Arians)

DL-Alex Carrington (long DE who is younger)

OLB-Demarcus Ware (only player left who I can see Cards offering big deal for)
OLB-Anthony Spencer (one year, prove it deal off injury)

ILB-Daryl Smith (brings leadership on D if team worried about Minter)

CB-Terrell Brown (familar with division, could push Powers)
CB-Terrell Thomas (nice potential pick similar to Powers last year)

S-Chris Clemons (though I think his price tag maybe too high w/ S demand)
S-Ryan Clark (physical S who is versatile, could be nice cheap vet pick up)

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Seeing that the Veldeer signing hasn't been announced yet, I am expecting one of those multi-player signing press releases.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I agree rugby, the Cards addressed their #1 need & Keim laid out his plan last year! IMO smart to not overpay for overpriced FAs cause that's not the way to win consistently.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Seeing that the Veldeer signing hasn't been announced yet, I am expecting one of those multi-player signing press releases.

Keep safe around your mall, you got some biters I hear. LOL!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
My thoughts heading forward

I think the Cards sign Matt Shaughnessy or Mike Neal by the end of this week. Both similar style of players so I think we go one or the other.

I think we go after a CB soon...Mike Jenkins has been reported and I imagine we will sign this level of player if they don't sign Jenkins. While I would like a bit better of a player, I can understand their reasoning.

With the RB market being what it is, I think the Cards will take a shot at it. Too much value and allows Ellington to be used more outside while also providing a credible running threat.

#

My favorite players remaining who would be good fits...

RB-Ben Tate (if demand keeps price down)
RB-LeGarrette Blount (same as Tate)

WR-Lance Moore (vertical threat, doesn't affect comp picks)
WR-Jacoby Jones (provides return options)

OL-Eric Winston (familiar w/ system)
OL-Willie Colon (vet inside which we lack, has played under Arians)

DL-Alex Carrington (long DE who is younger)

OLB-Demarcus Ware (only player left who I can see Cards offering big deal for)
OLB-Anthony Spencer (one year, prove it deal off injury)

ILB-Daryl Smith (brings leadership on D if team worried about Minter)

CB-Terrell Brown (familar with division, could push Powers)
CB-Terrell Thomas (nice potential pick similar to Powers last year)

S-Chris Clemons (though I think his price tag maybe too high w/ S demand)
S-Ryan Clark (physical S who is versatile, could be nice cheap vet pick up)

Great list, would be happy if we ended up with a couple of these guys.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That man is right on that, just look at the dates from last year. And correct, I definitely forgot that aspect of last offseason, forgive me, this wheeling and dealing is new to me. I am used to waiting for Rod Graves to realize that he didn't flip over his calender the week before, and just now realized its March, then waiting two or three days for him to realize "Oh Damn, Free Agency started." and turn on his Jitterbug cell phone.

We will see, but you are right, if this is anything like last year, they are going to go after the mid tier guys now, not later.

Bonus question for K9. Who is the next guy off the free agent board ?

I honestly don't know. I'm not sure that the free agency market is what the team was expecting; guys are handing out crazy deals right now. It's just madness out there.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Cards signed an ILB like Pat Angerer, Dan Connor, Rob Francois, etc. Someone younger. If the Cards were really caught flat-footed by Dansby's deal with Cleveland, maybe they just bring Jasper Brinkley back.

I agree with Chopper that they probably would prefer to bring back Matt Shaughnessy. If he's not amenable quickly, they'll look at Neal.

I expect they'll bring in a handful of cornerbacks, but that market is H-O-T right now, so I don't know how agents are handling expectations. Similar with safeties.

I really can't predict. Who would've thought that Lorenzo Alexander and Jerroud Powers would be two of our top FA targets last year? Basically, I'm looking halfway down rankings at positions that we need and seeing if someone is youngish.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Great post RugbyMuffin. I particularly liked how you penciled in the Cardinals base roster.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. I'm not sure that the free agency market is what the team was expecting; guys are handing out crazy deals right now. It's just madness out there.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Cards signed an ILB like Pat Angerer, Dan Connor, Rob Francois, etc. Someone younger. If the Cards were really caught flat-footed by Dansby's deal with Cleveland, maybe they just bring Jasper Brinkley back.

I agree with Chopper that they probably would prefer to bring back Matt Shaughnessy. If he's not amenable quickly, they'll look at Neal.

I expect they'll bring in a handful of cornerbacks, but that market is H-O-T right now, so I don't know how agents are handling expectations. Similar with safeties.

I really can't predict. Who would've thought that Lorenzo Alexander and Jerroud Powers would be two of our top FA targets last year? Basically, I'm looking halfway down rankings at positions that we need and seeing if someone is youngish.

I am going to guess that Arizona may start considering comp picks when they are signing players. Cut players don't go against comp picks and neither do vet min/low playing time players. I imagine for some of these role positions ala 4th CB, 3rd RB, 4th WR, depth DL you will the Cards target more cut/minimum players rather than 1-2 mil players who may only get 10%-30% of contributing snaps.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I am going to guess that Arizona may start considering comp picks when they are signing players. Cut players don't go against comp picks and neither do vet min/low playing time players. I imagine for some of these role positions ala 4th CB, 3rd RB, 4th WR, depth DL you will the Cards target more cut/minimum players rather than 1-2 mil players who may only get 10%-30% of contributing snaps.

I dunno. I don't really expect that to happen. It's a really poor strategy to decline to make your team better now on the hope that you may get a compensatory pick a year from now. If we had players in development, that would be a different issue, but unless Justin Bethel really is ready to play CB, someone is going to have to play 3rd corner.

What the Cards may do is wait on guys until after the deadline where signings no longer count against your possible compensatory selections. I think it's after the draft, maybe. I'm pretty sure that's when we got guys like Cason and Rucker.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I dunno. I don't really expect that to happen. It's a really poor strategy to decline to make your team better now on the hope that you may get a compensatory pick a year from now. If we had players in development, that would be a different issue, but unless Justin Bethel really is ready to play CB, someone is going to have to play 3rd corner.

What the Cards may do is wait on guys until after the deadline where signings no longer count against your possible compensatory selections. I think it's after the draft, maybe. I'm pretty sure that's when we got guys like Cason and Rucker.

My point is, why sign Captain Munnerlyn for 1 or 2 mil to fill a role vacated by Antoine Cason (15% of D snaps) and have it affect your comp picks when you can sign a player like Mike Jenkins for near vet min to fill that same role and avoid the comp pick qualifier? And if you are targeting and going to spend on a potential replacement for Powers, why not target Antonio Cromartie who won't affect your comp picks. Sign Peppers vs Jared Allen (not a Cardinals idea but an example) unless you see a huge difference between the two. Sign Lance Moore to be a 3rd or 4th WR and potential deep threat vs. Ted Ginn/Golden Tate/Jacoby Ford. Signing Carlson vs Brandon Pettigrew unless Pettigrew's price is bottom dollar.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Like to see the Cardinals consider special teams units when signing the next crop of free agents. The coverage units seemed to suffer when Lorenzo Alexander and Sam Acho went down last season. The heart of the coverage units are the linebackers. Cardinals could have used Reggie Walker on those coverage units last season IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Like to see the Cardinals consider special teams units when signing the next crop of free agents. The coverage units seemed to suffer when Lorenzo Alexander and Sam Acho went down last season. The heart of the coverage units are the linebackers. Cardinals could have used Reggie Walker on those coverage units last season IMO.

Why sign a special teams LB which can affect your comp picks when you have Acho, Okafor and (possibly) Alexander coming back as well as the draft? Wait until someone is cut or sign a vet min guy after June 1 if that is the role you are trying to fill and you are unable to via draft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn