The Max Hall effect

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bear with me I know nothing about Max Hall Im thinking about the logical thinking of a head coach.

Lets say Max Hall has done things in games and practices that made Whiz think "Wow I dont really start rookies but this kid has it and will be ready next year."

Then it could very well make sense to start DA who has a few years on contract this year and move him to backup next year. This way you dont even have to worry about Leinart and contracts etc etc.

Just a thought?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think there is a lot of credibility to this... though, the issue with Matt is really a combination of a lot of things. I do think Hall has given Whiz a lot to think about. At the same time, they did spend a draft pick on a very talented QB as well (Skelton). Not sure how much more Hall is done versus Skelton, and how likely it would that at this early stage Hall could somehow have surpassed Skelton in the eyes of Whiz. But from what I'm being told, Hall is the better-suited NFL QB vs Skelton. His size not-withstanding, Hall apparently has everything you would want in a QB.
Couple all of this with the speculation of Matty's poor chemistry and poor leadership skills, the potential of some teammates narking on Matty, the fact that our running game and o-line remain putrid, and the pure fact that Matty is clearly not a Whiz type guy... I think all of this, along with Matty's fat contract situation next season is all contributing to what we see being played out at the moment...

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I think coaches have to think about winning this year...there might not be a next year.

To your point...he may believe DA gives us a better chance to win this year, Max Hall or Skelton offer the same wins this year vs Leinart if DA gets hurt (no drop off), he doesn't want to expose either one of those guys by trying to sneak them on the PS, and they offer much more upside to this team in the future.

All that and he might cut Leinart to avoid the potential "distraction" to the team.

Either way...I am severely dissapointed in the Leinart situation. When he was drafted, I thought we had absolutely drafted our QB for the next 10 years.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I really like what I've seen out of Hall. Not saying he could be the QB of the future but his disposition and gunslinger attitude is great for this team. IMO, he's looked really good in his first couple stints as a pro, even if it came in mop-up time against scrubs.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I really like what I've seen out of Hall. Not saying he could be the QB of the future but his disposition and gunslinger attitude is great for this team. IMO, he's looked really good in his first couple stints as a pro, even if it came in mop-up time against scrubs.

Gotta start somewhere.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When a team screws up, for whatever reason, a top 10 QB pick, it pays a long term price.

We got lucky with the re-emergence of Warner, but now, we start paying the piper.

I think it is laughable to think that an UDFA will keep us in the race for the Super Bowl (because that's what it's all about, gentlemen) over the next few years.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Bear with me I know nothing about Max Hall Im thinking about the logical thinking of a head coach.

Lets say Max Hall has done things in games and practices that made Whiz think "Wow I dont really start rookies but this kid has it and will be ready next year."

Then it could very well make sense to start DA who has a few years on contract this year and move him to backup next year. This way you dont even have to worry about Leinart and contracts etc etc.

Just a thought?

...it's true!!! Hall looks NFL ready, has the mental approach & moxie who I believe could hold the fort down & maybe be the guy. He will be in the league for a long time.

Buckybird

Reaction score
When a team screws up, for whatever reason, a top 10 QB pick, it pays a long term price.

We got lucky with the re-emergence of Warner, but now, we start paying the piper.

I think it is laughable to think that an UDFA will keep us in the race for the Super Bowl (because that's what it's all about, gentlemen) over the next few years.

look at what you just said there CC...

Warner did just that, but then again he was a vet. You never know.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Like Tom Brady in the 6th? Or how Kurt Warner was a UDFA?

Why do you speak in such absolutes? Is it impossible that this kid fell because of his heigth and otherwise is A+ across the board. They ahve been talking about him from the get go and I never got it. Then I watched his throws. He's damn good and the prototype fiery guy you want running things.

I just don't get you sometimes. Leinart being a bust sucks but looks like we have hedged pretty well. We are already in Year 5 of Matt being a bust and I think we did pretty well the past few years. The long term price is reserved for #1 picks who you are forced to start from the get go.

Thats not the case here.

I think its funny you will take a "wait and see" approach to who you think will start Game one (which is so obvious at this point its laughable) but are resigned to Max Hall being a joke of a player.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
look at what you just said there CC...

Warner did just that, but then again he was a vet. You never know.

Have we reached the point of delusion that we believe that some UDFA can be equated with the arrival in Arizona of a League and Super Bowl MVP, who had fallen on hard times.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Have we reached the point of delusion that we believe that some UDFA can be equated with the arrival in Arizona of a League and Super Bowl MVP, who had fallen on hard times.

If you're asking me could Hall get this team to a Super Bowl as a rookie? I would say realistically, no. But at somepoint of his career? Yes, why not Warner did.

BTW I dont think the Cards get to the playoffs this year, let alone sniff the big game.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Time is a funny thing.

When Warner came here we were being laughed at. He was in more disrepair then Derek Anderson is now.

So if we rewind t0 2006, yes absolutely more people would have been onboard with the UDFA winning the job then Kurt Warner who looked like absolute ***** for the previous three years.

By your measure we would should have picked up Jake Delhomme as he was a key player in on NFC championship and another NFC title game..... 5 years ago.

You can say all you want that you figured Warner had the pedigree and you felt he had it in him to come back.....but you would be lying.

Last edited:

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score

Just a thought?

Yes, it is the main issue. We have two young QBs that coaches will want to keep and who have shown enough to not get through to the practice squad. That leaves one QB slot left (you don't get rid of young talent) and two veteran QBs. One is on effectively a one year deal, the other 2 year deal. Leinart would have to be head and shoulders above Anderson to ride him for this year and let him walk. His rookie contract will cause another Antrell Rolle effect where he has no incentive to re-up, and AZ won't carry him at 14 mil.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes, it is the main issue. We have two young QBs that coaches will want to keep and who have shown enough to not get through to the practice squad. That leaves one QB slot left (you don't get rid of young talent) and two veteran QBs. One is on effectively a one year deal, the other 2 year deal. Leinart would have to be head and shoulders above Anderson to ride him for this year and let him walk. His rookie contract will cause another Antrell Rolle effect where he has no incentive to re-up, and AZ won't carry him at 14 mil.

I think that this will have a significant impact in how the QB situation plays out as well. While it is ridiculous to think that the Cardinals would be reluctant to pay Leinart if he played up to his contract, if he isn't showing himself to be significantly better than Derek Anderson, he carries more trade value and seems like the guy to move.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
How ironic Max Hall and Jeff Garcia are the EXACT same size according to NFL.com.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I think that this will have a significant impact in how the QB situation plays out as well. While it is ridiculous to think that the Cardinals would be reluctant to pay Leinart if he played up to his contract, if he isn't showing himself to be significantly better than Derek Anderson, he carries more trade value and seems like the guy to move.

I doubt anybody would trade for Leinart if they know we will cut him. And he isn't Warner, so how could he ever live up to that price tag for 2011?