KTAR Reporting That The Cardinals Will Sign Derek Anderson

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How can anyone say this signing sucks? Who the hell else were they going to get to be a backup besides the other stiffs out there?

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Derek Anderson > BSP.

I like it.

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Like the Anderson signing as a backup for the simple fact because he has had an amazing season in the NFL. It probably was a fluke, but how many other free agent QBs out there at his age have had a season like that. Now give him a better team and WRs that can catch the ball and who knows what he is capeable of if Matt should go down....or even if he wins the job outright.

Guy has a cannon for an arm, great delivery and has great size. Part of the problem with his completion % was that Braylon dropped about 98.7% of the passes that hit his hands, so that will always hurt. ;) Should be interesting, I don't think that he is the savior at the QB posistion, but he has shown that he can compete at the NFL level and play like a Pro Bowler, so lets sit back and trust that Whiz and the QB coach know what they are doing. Cause I think Anderson + 3rd rounder > Whitehurst

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Still waiting on the official stamp, but Anderson-to-Arizona is enough of a done deal that the terms are being reported: $7.25 million over two years, with $3.25 million in guarantees. - per Urban

Nicely done IMO. Good contract. Good price. Good length.

Leinart - 1 year left
Anderson - 2 years left
(Rookie) - 4/5 year contract

That is a CYA setup if I have every seen one. Good plan, IMO.

30 million in incentives is alright with me. If he hits them all, then he will be worth the money, ala Fitzgerald.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Anderson, but the contract looks reasonable, and I don't think he's any worse than Carr, Bulger or any of the other veteran names that have been tossed around. Plus, if we signed Whitehurst, instead, our two top QBs would have a combined 17 games of starting experience, which is pretty frightening.

Welcome, DA.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still no guarantee that they won't sign Whitehurst too.
I agree (although I think the probability of signing Whitehurst now drops from roughly 50% to less than 15%).

What Anderson gives us is a big, physical QB who lost his mojo. His problems appear to be more mental than due to physical limitations or injury.

My favorite HS coach used to operate on the principle that: "if you did something good, you could be coached to "do it again." The challenge for Cardinal offensive coaches will be to hopefully recapture Anderson's proverbial "lightning in a bottle" so that he knows how it feels when he's doing the right thing and can (thru repetition) do it over and over.

You never know with QB's - Anderson represents a somewhat iffy proposition. But - just as the pitching coach for the "other Cardinals" (Dave Duncan) is famous for extending the careers of pitchers - I'm hoping that Wiz and his coaches have seen something on tape that leads them to believe that they can help Anderson resurrect his career.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This would please me. He's not without blemishes, but I feel he would be a solid vet #2. Draft a rookie QB to develop, and focus on the defense in the draft. We still need to get a vet ILBer, though. Hopefully, this puts to bed all the talk of Whitehurst, if it happens.

As to drafting QBs, I recall when Green Bay used to take one in every draft for a stretch of years, and it really payed dividends for them. Too many good prospects on the roster? Then trade one! I know they did this with Hasselbeck, and I think a few other guys, but off the top of my head I can't remember who.

I have heard of other teams drafting a QB in nearly all drafts for many years. I do not know how it worked out but there is always someone lurking down low like say Kurt Warner. If one keeps betting on black sooner or later black is going to come up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard of other teams drafting a QB in nearly all drafts for many years. I do not know how it worked out but there is always someone lurking down low like say Kurt Warner. If one keeps betting on black sooner or later black is going to come up.

I wish that were the case. My wallet disagrees with you so far.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
Glad this happend...Starter experince..Probowl apperance...And didn't have to give up a pick :)

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Cardinals have chosen to sign DA. Could they be using their third round pick for a trade for more help for our defense?

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — "The Arizona Cardinals have come to terms on a two-year contract with free agent quarterback Derek Anderson.

The one-time Pro Bowl quarterback comes to Arizona as the Cardinals look for someone to compete with Matt Leinart, the only quarterback the team has under contract after Kurt Warner's retirement.

Anderson was released by Cleveland on March 9, ending an uneven five-year stint with the team.

Anderson made the Pro Bowl in 2007 when he threw 29 touchdown passes and led the club to a 10-6 record.

At the start of last season, Anderson lost his starting job to Brady Quinn, got it back, lost it again, returned to the starting lineup when Quinn got hurt, and won Cleveland's last two games.

Cleveland claimed Anderson off waivers from Baltimore in 2005."

6'6" 230 lbs, age 26, Oregon State, Contract with Cards 7.25 million, 3.25 mil guarantee, Can make 11 mil in incentives but that is like winning the lottery, Big arm. If he can regain his confidence he could make a statement. Matt has the clear edge going in knowing the play book and working behind HOF QB Kurt Warner. Matt will have to really blow it not to come out as the starter but clearly the Cards have worries about Matt. This is a big QB. Do not know how he is on his feet.

Urban says he is the most inaccurate passer in the NFL and that Matt Leinhart has caught a break. Does Urban know what he is talking about and more than Whiz or Graves on this? I have never paid any attention to Anderson other than he made the Pro Bowl with a 10-6 record. He must not be as bad as Urban says I hope. Anyway, the guy has shown he can start in the NFL and that beats Whitehurst who has never thrown a pass in the NFL. Two years is no big deal. The contract amount will be interesting.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Live Wednesday that the Cardinals consider their quarterback situation "an open competition."
It'll be "let the best man win," Schefter added. Based on experience in the offense, familiarity with receivers, and sheer accuracy, Matt Leinart should hold a sizable edge. Rumblings continue that the Cards aren't sold on Leinart, however, and their previously aggressive pursuit of Charlie Whitehurst before signing Derek Anderson is only confirmation. If Anderson can regain his confidence, he'll give Leinart a run for his money in camp.
Related: Derek Anderson

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Live Wednesday that the Cardinals consider their quarterback situation "an open competition."
It'll be "let the best man win," Schefter added. Based on experience in the offense, familiarity with receivers, and sheer accuracy, Matt Leinart should hold a sizable edge. Rumblings continue that the Cards aren't sold on Leinart, however, and their previously aggressive pursuit of Charlie Whitehurst before signing Derek Anderson is only confirmation. If Anderson can regain his confidence, he'll give Leinart a run for his money in camp.
Related: Derek Anderson

Tell Schefter to read this:

Word From the Birds Blog
blog.azcardinals.com
Quarterback Derek Anderson just was on his conference call with the media and, asked about the depth chart, Anderson said it was “understood” he was coming in as the No. 2 quarterback but that he would ...

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/03/17/anderson-comes-in-as-no-2/

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Well at least we have an NFL experienced b/u. Maybe more. We didn't have to give up compensation. Did Whitehurst sign w/ Seattle?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Good signing considering what was available on the QB FA market. Anderson was terrible at times but he isn't being brought in to be our starter.

The main reason I didn't like Whitehurst was the fact we would be giving up a draft pick and still likely spending another pick on a QB later in the draft, spending 2 picks on guys who will likely never see the field didn't sit well with me.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Tell Schefter to read this:

Word From the Birds Blog
blog.azcardinals.com
Quarterback Derek Anderson just was on his conference call with the media and, asked about the depth chart, Anderson said it was “understood” he was coming in as the No. 2 quarterback but that he would ...

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/03/17/anderson-comes-in-as-no-2/

I imagine Derek Anderson also understood that he has $11M reasons to try to beat Leinart out. You don't give those kinds of incentives to a clear #2.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson