KTAR Reporting That The Cardinals Will Sign Derek Anderson

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
With the questions on the defensive side of the ball, this is what's best for the Arizona Cardinals!!! Saves a much needed draft pick & gives us a proven NFL caliber QB.

Buckybird

Reaction score
The main reason I didn't like Whitehurst was the fact we would be giving up a draft pick and still likely spending another pick on a QB later in the draft, spending 2 picks on guys who will likely never see the field didn't sit well with me.

this!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Whisenhunt: "Matt (Leinart) has earned the right to be The Guy."

Yup, he's earned the right. But, Whiz didn't say he IS The Guy, did he?

Which is exactly why he offered $11m in incentives for Anderson to beat him out.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good signing considering what was available on the QB FA market. Anderson was terrible at times but he isn't being brought in to be our starter.

The main reason I didn't like Whitehurst was the fact we would be giving up a draft pick and still likely spending another pick on a QB later in the draft, spending 2 picks on guys who will likely never see the field didn't sit well with me.

I feel ya. Thing is I hope we don't draft a QB at this point either. Grab a couple non drafted FA's from this sparkling crop.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Live Wednesday that the Cardinals consider their quarterback situation "an open competition."
It'll be "let the best man win," Schefter added. Based on experience in the offense, familiarity with receivers, and sheer accuracy, Matt Leinart should hold a sizable edge. Rumblings continue that the Cards aren't sold on Leinart, however, and their previously aggressive pursuit of Charlie Whitehurst before signing Derek Anderson is only confirmation. If Anderson can regain his confidence, he'll give Leinart a run for his money in camp.
Related: Derek Anderson

The fact that they went after an expierenced backup (at least for now) is confirmation that the Cards coaching staff aren't sold on Leinart huh? Oh I guess the fact that in 2007 Whis had to bring in a veteran QB off the street with less than a week of practice when Lienart and Warner both got hurt and the fact that we only currently only have BSP on our roster have nothing to do with going after Anderson????

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score

Which is exactly why he offered $11m in incentives for Anderson to beat him out.

So Anderson is already your guy? You don't wait long do you... Why would you not give your players an incentive to succeed?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I feel ya. Thing is I hope we don't draft a QB at this point either. Grab a couple non drafted FA's from this sparkling crop.

I'm assuming you are using the word "sparkling" with sarcasm. I don't see an issue with drafting a guy late if the coaches see something in him that can be developed. If it is an undrafted guy like you said bring in a couple let the best guy win and the other guy sit on the practice squad.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The fact that they went after an expierenced backup (at least for now) is confirmation that the Cards coaching staff aren't sold on Leinart huh? Oh I guess the fact that in 2007 Whis had to bring in a veteran QB off the street with less than a week of practice when Lienart and Warner both got hurt and the fact that we only currently only have BSP on our roster have nothing to do with going after Anderson????

BSP is a Free Agent so your point is even more poignant. As of now Leinart and Anderson are it as far as QBs go on the Cardinals roster.

Mitch

Reaction score
So Anderson is already your guy? You don't wait long do you... Why would you not give your players an incentive to succeed?

First of all, dp32, let the best man win. As long as the Cardinals win I could care less who the QB is.

Secondly, you cannot ignore the incentives...you cannot. Had Anderson signed for a 2 year $7.25 contract with no incentives that'a another thing, isn't it? For the Cardinals to add $11M in incentives is a statement in itself.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I agree Mitch in the sense that Matt has to rise to the challenge and not be afraid of competition for the starting job. However it seems like as long as he has played for Whis he should know that this is the way Coach runs things and in the end competition will make him better.

Mitch

Reaction score
I agree Mitch in the sense that Matt has to rise to the challenge and not be afraid of competition for the starting job. However it seems like as long as he has played for Whis he should know that this is the way Coach runs things and in the end competition will make him better.

I agree, BigRA. All is fine with me. Thus far ML has not been good as a frontrunner, perhaps this time he will be. He has great incentives to do so.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
First of all, dp32, let the best man win. As long as the Cardinals win I could care less who the QB is.

Secondly, you cannot ignore the incentives...you cannot. Had Anderson signed for a 2 year $7.25 contract with no incentives that'a another thing, isn't it? For the Cardinals to add $11M in incentives is a statement in itself.

I'm not trying to ignore them, but he is coming onto a playoff team two years removed from the Super Bowl. Anderson is not the caliber of QB to reach the incentives, but it gives him a reason to sign and it gives him a reason to compete. He's chasing a carrot.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree, BigRA. All is fine with me. Thus far ML has not been good as a frontrunner, perhaps this time he will be. He has great incentives to do so.

Yeah he really does Mitch. I agree with ya too I don't care who wins the starting QB job as long as the Cards win! I would be willing to bet the Whis doesn't either lol.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

What I'd like to know is that Whitehurst sat 4 years behind Rivers without ever demanding to be traded. So how does that sit with you in regards to his character and leadership abilities? I never saw you post that when people were talking about Whitehurst. But you sure did beat up Matt over it.

I don't care whether you wanted the Cards to sign Whitehurst or not I just want to know why you didn't bash Whitehurst for not trying to get out from behind Rivers like you did Matt for not trying harder to get out from behind Warner.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
What happened to Tyler Palko? Anyone remember? I'm too lazy to look it up lol.

I think he was signed by the Steelers at some point during the season, whether he finished the season there or not I do not know.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Good signing considering what was available on the QB FA market. Anderson was terrible at times but he isn't being brought in to be our starter.

Very well said. Spending two picks for QBs is unthinkable. The Cardinals will need to draft a QB.

Buckybird

Reaction score
I'm not trying to ignore them, but he is coming onto a playoff team two years removed from the Super Bowl. Anderson is not the caliber of QB to reach the incentives, but it gives him a reason to sign and it gives him a reason to compete. He's chasing a carrot.

I agree.

Anderson is far from the Super Bowl winning, former MVP that was Warner. I really believe Leinart has all the pressure off of him now that #13 is retired. Think of the pressure this kid had 2 seasons ago, looking over his shoulder at training camp, knowing he had to be almost flawless in preseason with a future HOF QB waiting in the wings.

Matt Leinart's time is now!!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly. If he didn't think he could do it, then he's not worth signing. if he makes them, then he's worth it terms of the team winning. Reading stuff into the incentives about Whis' confidence in Leinart is a poor impersonation of Dr. Phil.

Mitch

Reaction score
What I'd like to know is that Whitehurst sat 4 years behind Rivers without ever demanding to be traded. So how does that sit with you in regards to his character and leadership abilities? I never saw you post that when people were talking about Whitehurst. But you sure did beat up Matt over it.

I don't care whether you wanted the Cards to sign Whitehurst or not I just want to know why you didn't bash Whitehurst for not trying to get out from behind Rivers like you did Matt for not trying harder to get out from behind Warner.

The scenarios are quite different, DJ. Warner was supposed to play two more years, which would have made the Cardinals have to keep ML for $11m plus in 2011. C'mon man.

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
Urban says he is the most inaccurate passer in the NFL and that Matt Leinhart has caught a break. Does Urban know what he is talking about and more than Whiz or Graves on this? I have never paid any attention to Anderson other than he made the Pro Bowl with a 10-6 record. He must not be as bad as Urban says I hope.

Anderson is big, has a good arm, and can get it downfield well. That's the good. But he's about as inaccurate as a pocket passer can be and still have a job in the NFL. Seriously. He's Mike Vick inaccurate.

As a backup I kind of like him, because he's experienced, can make any throw you ask him to, and spot starting, he's got a shot at beating anybody. Downfield throws to Fitz should be right up his alley, too. As a starter... well, you don't want that. He'll get you beat in games you should win.

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
So is Anderson a bad QB or did he earn the Pro Bowl?

Anderson never had anything like a quality receiving corp. I know he's no Warner but he's an experienced back-up and there's a good chance that he's better than his numbers. (He only WISHES he had Michael Vick's QB rating.)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The scenarios are quite different, DJ. Warner was supposed to play two more years, which would have made the Cardinals have to keep ML for $11m plus in 2011. C'mon man.

But you were bashing Leinart over this well before his contract became an issue.

Anyway for those not thrilled with Anderson just remember that Warner had been mediocre at best for 5.5 years before turning things around with the Whiz.

27 TD 30 INT. And passer ratings of 67, 73, 86 and 85. He even managed to go from throwing 32 TD passes in one season to throwing 3 along with 11 interceptions the next. And after being saved from the scrap heap by Whisenhunt turns in back to back HOF level seasons.

I think picking up Anderson is an excellent move by the boys in the AZ.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn