OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Frank Vogel describes Royce O'Neale and David Roddy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we have any 2nd round picks left? This is our team for the foreseeable future.
Why do people keep acting like we don’t have first round picks in 2 of the next 3 years?

And before someone jumps in with “The pick swaps will make them terrible until 2037!!” folks… this team is going to end up better than any of the teams we owe picks swaps with at least the next two years which means in the years we have a first round pick… drum roll please… we’ll have the same 1st round pick regardless of the swap because teams won’t want to take back our pick if it’s worse than theirs.

1982baskets

Veteran
Reaction score
I do like the O'Neale move. The reason is unlike some of our other bench role players, he is a proven established rotational player that has a niche role in the league. Unlike Gordon or Allen, O'Neale can match up with some of the bigger perimeter players. Teams won't hunt O'Neale, the way they would have Gordon/Allen. He has a long wingspan and I think he can defend a bit.

He played a little with Durant before and it seems he does well when he has stars around him. He shoots basically 38% from 3, for his career. Given that he'll now have Durant/Beal/Book around him, he'll be able to utilize his shooting and passing much like we're seeing Gordon and Allen.

In contrast Okogie shoots 27% from 3, and is not a passing threat.
Of the players who left, Diop shot 31%. Watanbe 32 (but he's got a good shot). Goodwin 28.8%. That's just not going to get it done.

We have 7 man rotation now - that's NBA level.

Nurk/Durant/Allen/Book/Beal/O'Neale/Gordon. Every one of those players is a significant threat to score and you can't play off them. defensively. Whenever we would run lineups with non-scoring threats it made it just too easy to double on one of the stars.

1982baskets

Veteran
Reaction score
One guy I heard today described Royce as Jae Crowder with better offense.
He's given us some depth. One of the main problems with the team construction has been that we can't keep parts rotating. Once you sit a few players, you're dealing with really challenging lineups. Go look at the bench, there just isn't a 38% three point shooter (on a high volume of threes) who can play minutes against starting players. Our team is basically Allen/Gordon/Nurk around the big 3. Now it's Allen/Gordon/Nurk/O'Neale. We have a fourth reliable role player around the stars.

I mean look at our bench outside of Gordon, we didn't really have anyone that can give you 10-15 points. A lot of players that opposing teams would just leave wide open in defensive schemes. I understand the Okogie appreciation for his efforts on defense/energy, but he was a non-shooting threat.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Roddy looks like a middle linebacker with a 3 point shot. But love the steal in these highlights, and the crowd chanting his name. May become a fan favorite.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why do people keep acting like we don’t have first round picks in 2 of the next 3 years?

And before someone jumps in with “The pick swaps will make them terrible until 2037!!” folks… this team is going to end up better than any of the teams we owe picks swaps with at least the next two years which means in the years we have a first round pick… drum roll please… we’ll have the same 1st round pick regardless of the swap because teams won’t want to take back our pick if it’s worse than theirs.
Ok - what are the odds of a 20-25th pick being a rotation player. Really small. Not to mention knowing James Jones he will always draft a 5th year senior with minimal upside.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok - what are the odds of a 20-25th pick being a rotation player. Really small. Not to mention knowing James Jones he will always draft a 5th year senior with minimal upside.
We can also use the pick to make a trade on draft night. Either way it’s still an opportunity to add a new piece this off-season as opposed to a narrative that the team is constantly hamstrung to add anything to it... a narrative we've seen repeatedly proven wrong with the Beal trade, getting multiple starters out of the Ayton trade, getting Gordon for the minimum and now Royce O'Neal, a piece who's respected around the league, even if not so by you.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You’re right. But you can’t complain about not having a future because we have the same draft picks in the same spot we would’ve had. You can’t downplay those two draft picks and at the same time lament the lost picks that are likely in the same/similar spots.

And given what we’ve been able to turn 2nd round picks into, I fully expect jones to trade our first during the draft for another vet.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You realize we can also use the pick to make a trade on draft night, right? Either way it’s still an opportunity to add a new piece this off-season as opposed to the narrative being pushed by the catastrophizers who thought we’d never be able to add anyone last off-season, thought the Ayton trade was terrible, the team was finished at Xmas, etc, etc.
Borg

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re right. But you can’t complain about not having a future because we have the same draft picks in the same spot we would’ve had. You can’t downplay those two draft picks and at the same time lament the lost picks that are likely in the same/similar spots.

And given what we’ve been able to turn 2nd round picks into, I fully expect jones to trade our first during the draft for another vet.
I'm lamenting the picks we don't have once KD is gone or so old he is ineffective.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2023 - Too early to say. 2 out of the 5 picks were traded.
2022 - 3 out of the 5 picks traded. Picks of note: Walker Kessler, David Roddy. All 5 players are bench guys averaging 5-10 points per game. Kessler is clearly the best player.
2021 - All 5 picks traded. Notable picks Bones Hyland and Isiah Jackson. Most are averaging between 5-10 points. Garuba is the bust of the group.
2020 - All 5 picks traded. #20 - #30 here has some real talent. Precious Achiuwa, Tyrese Maxey, Immanuel Quickly, Jaden McDaniels, Desmond Bane. Wow
2019 - 3 picks traded. This is sort of funny because the Suns have dipped here with Darius Bazley, Ty Jerome, and now Nassir Little. Brandon Clarke is a nice piece here.
2018 - 2 picks traded. Grayson Allen, Anfernee Simmons, and good ole Landry Shamet. I still can't believe we took Okobo over Jalen Brunson. Round 2 was fire here with Brunson, Gary Trent Jr, Jevon Carter, and Bruce Brown.

So my quick analysis says that you should come out of that with either a trade or a rotational player. Not too many busts. A lot of bench guys and a couple major hits.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diop was terrible. I actually though Goodwin should have played more. Metu is probably the most talented of the bunch
I rank them Goodwin, Diop, Metu, Yuta.

Metu was a turnover machine one of the worst passers I have ever seen - although he showed some flashes offensively he was a negative when he played.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The key for us winning a championship will be to have our players outside the big 3 hit open 3's consistently. If that's the case, you can't double or leave guys wide open without being punished. Considering the resources available, O'Neale is a great addition.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn