BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yes, I think it's bad they decide to move on from their home grown CB1 because they don't want to pay him to trade a very high 2nd round pick for a DE that wants to be paid over $20m per year that never had more than 9 sacks on the best D line in the league.

Also Montez Sweat is 27. I don't think that's anyone's usual definition of young in NFL terms considering he's the same age of Budda and several people have been questioning his age.

They've allowed Jaylon Johnson to seek a trade; they haven't traded him.

It seems very off-brand for you to complain about moving on from a home-grown CB1 after this offseason and the previous offseason when you insisted that Actually CBs are Easy to Find and Antonio Hamilton is Actually Good.

Steve Keim would’ve made a move like this.

A lot of people here that loathe Keim have awfully similar decision-making like him.

I wouldn't have made this trade if I'm the Cards, but I get the logic. The Bears FO is pretty mid. Definitely a move to try not to get fired.

Johnson has 2 INT's and a FF including a pick 6, only 123 yards allowed, a 50% completion rate allowed, a passer rating allowed of 44 in 6 games. Seems pretty accurate.

If he "Has to spend it somewhere" his leading CB seems like a good place.

Also the Bears are 2-6. 100% they ain't making the playoffs.

I don't have much truck with coverage stats for CBs, either, TBH. That's why you don't see me cite them one way or the other. He wasn't much before this contract year aside from a snap-eater on some inconsistent defenses. Would you pay top-dollar for him next offseason? $18 million per year?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maybe the lesson is that PFF grades don't mean anything to NFL front offices?

Poles is definitely trying to save his job, but the Bears have more cap money than anyone in 2024 and they're going to have to spend it somewhere.

Chicago is two games out of the 7th playoff spot in the NFC with games left against New Orleans and Green Bay. They're going for it, especially in a division where second place seems extremely achievable with Jordan Love spoiling like a Jack O'Lantern in Avondale and Minnesota potentially hard-resetting their roster after Kirk's injury.
It's going to be hilarious when he walks as a free agent this off-season and they gave up a 2nd rounder and still have a losing record.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They've allowed Jaylon Johnson to seek a trade; they haven't traded him.

It seems very off-brand for you to complain about moving on from a home-grown CB1 after this offseason and the previous offseason when you insisted that Actually CBs are Easy to Find and Antonio Hamilton is Actually Good.

I wouldn't have made this trade if I'm the Cards, but I get the logic. The Bears FO is pretty mid. Definitely a move to try not to get fired.

I don't have much truck with coverage stats for CBs, either, TBH. That's why you don't see me cite them one way or the other. He wasn't much before this contract year aside from a snap-eater on some inconsistent defenses. Would you pay top-dollar for him next offseason? $18 million per year?
Do you pay attention to other teams?

Jaylon Johnson>>>>>>>>Byron Murphy who you are indirectly referencing. Johnson should get top dollar on the open market. He's a really good athlete while Murphy is a below average athlete at CB. I know you don't trust coverage stats, but Johnson has posted significantly better coverage stats than Murphy.

I know you like to take snarky little swipes at a few posters on this board, but comparing a decent young corner leaving to a really good young corner isn't the same thing.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you pay attention to other teams?

Jaylon Johnson>>>>>>>>Byron Murphy who you are indirectly referencing. Johnson should get top dollar on the open market. He's a really good athlete while Murphy is a below average athlete at CB. I know you don't trust coverage stats, but Johnson has posted significantly better coverage stats than Murphy.

I know you like to take snarky little swipes at a few posters on this board, but comparing a decent young corner leaving to a really good young corner isn't the same thing.

K9 doesn't trust any stats that don't agree with his point

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
So Sweat goes for a (high 2nd) to the Bears and Chase Young goes for a mid-rounder?

I know Young has had health issues, but isn't he the better player (I may be off base here)? Bears are incompetent.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Can't they just franchise tag him and then negotiate a LT deal?

How is that any different than your own free agent?

What am I missing?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy fudge

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
3rd rounder

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't they just franchise tag him and then negotiate a LT deal?

How is that any different than your own free agent?

What am I missing?
He doesn't have to sign and can sit out. Plus, it'll be about $21 million to franchise him and they have a few players in line for extensions like Moore. They might have to let him walk if they can't extend others. It's a gamble.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NFC West goes for it

On the plus side no way they keep him. This is an 8 game deal.

Niners are already about $30m over the cap next year. No way they can extend Chase at his market rate.

Although they have no major free agents.