David Johnson retires

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Thanks David, blasted put and surprised everyone , then fell off, but always enjoyed fanning for you.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This has always been hard to track. A solid player gets a seemingly curable injury that should leave them 100%, but somehow they never fully recover. I have to think it has a major psychological component. Some players just lose that sense of invincibility.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This has always been hard to track. A solid player gets a seemingly curable injury that should leave them 100%, but somehow they never fully recover. I have to think it has a major psychological component. Some players just lose that sense of invincibility.
The injury snatched the most amazing second gear I had ever seen in an NFL running back.

If I remember correctly he got hitched shortly after the injury.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I am suspicious of his fall off.

That said--- one of the most explosive players ive ever watched. Enjoy retirement DJ31

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am suspicious of his fall off.

That said--- one of the most explosive players ive ever watched. Enjoy retirement DJ31
Occam’s razor - he got paid, he valued his family and future over football.

That’s always been my thought. Could he have been on PEDs and decided to get off them? Maybe. But I never heard any noise about that from him, I think Harry raised a good point about the feeling of invincibility being lost. We all remember how weird it was to lose a guy for the entire season to a wrist injury right? It doesn’t really work like that, and he just never came back that year, and then in 2018 and beyond was just not himself.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Occam’s razor - he got paid, he valued his family and future over football.

That’s always been my thought. Could he have been on PEDs and decided to get off them? Maybe. But I never heard any noise about that from him, I think Harry raised a good point about the feeling of invincibility being lost. We all remember how weird it was to lose a guy for the entire season to a wrist injury right? It doesn’t really work like that, and he just never came back that year, and then in 2018 and beyond was just not himself.

He went vegan around the same time and lost a ton of weight as I recall.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Beyond bizarre what happened here. He was an incredible combo of speed, power and wiggle… all gone after what was reported to just be a sprained knee at the end of the season when he’d have all offseason to rehab.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beyond bizarre what happened here. He was an incredible combo of speed, power and wiggle… all gone after what was reported to just be a sprained knee at the end of the season when he’d have all offseason to rehab.
I think he was just scared to get injured again and didn't trust his body. Seeing the long term injuries that some of these players deal with, I can understand it though.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So promising and then...

Imagine if he had been able to sustain anything close to the monster numbers he had in such a short period. He'd have gone down as one of the greats.

Wish him the best. Seems like a great guy.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw him on Cards media, but for sure.
I saw him on TV once, I think it was on the Food Network. He and his wife were there for some event representing their foundation - The Johnson Family’s Mission 31 Foundation. The organization seeks to “provide opportunities, support, and resources to seriously ill children and their families by offering daily support and life-changing experiences”.