Should the Suns trade Ayton?

• Yes, trade him ASAP

• Maybe, depends on who is hired as coach

• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They can also save a lot of money if they take Paul with Ayton for Lillard and another contract. However, I think they want picks, and the Suns have none.
Yeah it’s too bad it’s not one of the every other seasons where we could draft the player they want and include him in the deal. Again, I’m not saying it’s in any way likely, just saying it’s not a complete impossibility.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Portland is an idiotically ran franchise.

I fully expect that they will not trade Lillard... but instead trade the pick for someone that probably won't end up helping them much... like Towns or something, maybe they'll be dumb enough to send it, along with some rotation guys, our way in an Ayton trade. Either way, they will make a bad trade and end up having to trade Lillard anyway when the wheels come off... again...

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing Mavs and Bulls..

I could get behind a Bulls trade. Something like Vucevic and Caruso for Ayton could work.

Just checked and Vucevic is a free agent so it'd need to be a sign and trade, which complicates things too much.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I could get behind a Bulls trade. Something like Vucevic and Caruso for Ayton could work.

Just checked and Vucevic is a free agent so it'd need to be a sign and trade, which complicates things too much.
Speaking of the Bulls, how about Paul for Ball? His Dad is a joke but Lonzo could be worth the risk?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Paul probably has more good games in him left than Ball.

Ball may not ever play again.
Probably, I just imagine we'll have to take on somewhat of a question mark to rid ourselves of Paul.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Not even in the same conversation.
Why? Either way, Paul has proven to be ineffective and fall apart physically in the playoffs.

If Ball is definitely going to be out all next season, obviously that's not going to be a fit.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why? Either way, Paul has proven to be ineffective and fall apart physically in the playoffs.

If Ball is definitely going to be out all next season, obviously that's not going to be a fit.

Why???

Ball has been out with possibly career ending surgery. Paul played this season and sprained his man region.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Why???

Ball has been out with possibly career ending surgery. Paul played this season and sprained his man region.
Paul fell off the cliff last year (pun intended) and can't be trusted at this point. Again, I don't want either of them on my team next year.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we can somehow get a PGOF I would 100% want CP3 here to mentor him. Sadly I dont see a pathway to that goal.

Maybe DA for Portlands #3 and role players and pray to whoever you think is up there that the front office knows what they are doing with the 3rd pick?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we can somehow get a PGOF I would 100% want CP3 here to mentor him. Sadly I dont see a pathway to that goal.

Maybe DA for Portlands #3 and role players and pray to whoever you think is up there that the front office knows what they are doing with the 3rd pick?

The point guard position has been ignored for too long. However, I don't have confidence in James Jones making the right selection with the 3rd pick because of his attitude towards the draft.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's Ayton's draft scouting report from Sports Illustrated.

Weaknesses

• Mediocre defensive awareness. Misses rotations and occasionally takes plays off entirely. Good but not great shot-blocker who should improve with better positioning.

• Played out of position at power forward next to a pure center in Dusan Ristic, which may have been a setback in processing help defense and other principles.

• Prefers to elevate and go get the ball rather than box out his man, which will be harder to get away with in the NBA.

• Not consistent running the floor. Tends to trail the play and seek spot-up opportunities instead of getting out ahead for easy baskets.

• Had a reputation for dogging it in high school. Chance remains he reverts to his old ways and doesn’t fulfill his full potential.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welp that was pretty accurate.
It's pretty spot on.

I think any boost he gets from a change of scenery or a new coach will be fleeting.

Best case for the Suns might be to bring in a coach to whip him into putting up the numbers he should... and them promptly ship him out in Feb of next year before he can revert to the norm.

But... everyone suffers from recency bias and there will probably be a strong belief that Ayton has turned the corner, I will probably foolishly endorse the idea, then the going will get tough down the stretch, he will face adversity and won't want anything to do with it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You can't pay both Paul and Ayton 30M. I have no faith in Ayton ever figuring it out at this point, but he's still more valuable than Paul.

I can't stomach another season of the little general slowing the game to a snails pace then falling apart in the playoffs again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't pay both Paul and Ayton 30M. I have no faith in Ayton ever figuring it out at this point, but he's still more valuable than Paul.

I can't stomach another season of the little general slowing the game to a snails pace then falling apart in the playoffs again.

At least the Suns only have to pay Paul $15 million guaranteed. He can be waived and his salary spread out over 5 seasons.

Personally, I think both need to go but the Suns need to get something out of Ayton or hope a new head coach can work a miracle.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm expecting Ayton to play more like a power forward next season, playing more outside, if the Suns keep him.