Should Ayton be Traded?

Should the Suns trade Ayton?

• Yes, trade him ASAP

• Maybe, depends on who is hired as coach

• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I'm pretty much alone here. I said he should have been traded before, almost regardless of the hit.

He plays too soft, is MIA on offensive rebounding, is not a consistent rim protector. Yeah, so Jocic manhandled Jock and Bismack. He pretty much did that to Ayton too, though I would defer to you if you have stats on Ayton guarding him vs. the others.

The issue isn't how much do we lose in the post, but rather, how do we retool without an "old fashioned" post player around KD and Booker? Most importantly to me---and I keep harping on this but no one cares---our defense must improve DRAMATICALLY.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to talk about Stix again...but nobody sat back & question how the assistant knew to play Stix like that. How he knew what he was going to get. Then Monty returns and he's banished to the bench...had Monty been there during that run...Stix would have never seen the floor. And when the Media asked Monty about it he said he didn't know Stix could rebound like that.

So When I read Young's name and with Jones still having a job and calling Monty to tell him the news...a call really...I said the sung like canaries.

Monty deserved more than a call...so that told me Jones was like see ya....you should have been listening to me...now who's ain't the boss of you.

Kevin Young played Stix at his natural position, center, and he excelled at it.

However, Monty kept putting Stix in the corner, asking him to shoot 3-pointers, which was asking for failure.

It wasn't rocket science. As it turns out, the Suns could have used a center.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope so. Maybe the rest of the league will see how Bridges went off after leaving Phoenix and think they might have something similar with Dominayton.

Somehow, I wish this made me feel better.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
my concern with drafting Ayton as a center,

he never developed or showed center skills

he is a big body finesse forward not a banger

if you can’t play him in his natural comfort zone, cut your losses

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
my concern with drafting Ayton as a center,

he never developed or showed center skills

he is a big body finesse forward not a banger

if you can’t play him in his natural comfort zone, cut your losses

Agree,,, Ayton can't dribble the ball that well,,is so soft against big body opposition centers, lacks desire since
getting his new contract. If the new coach has doubts about Ayton, then trade him and have the money
to spend on other players.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree,,, Ayton can't dribble the ball that well,,is so soft against big body opposition centers, lacks desire since
getting his new contract. If the new coach has doubts about Ayton, then trade him and have the money
to spend on other players.

Its weird he can't take anyone off the dribble these days BUT if you look at his rookie highlights, he does show some skill at attacking and doing something other than jump shooting.

I'm more and more on the side that Monty just messes with some players. And he couldn't afford to alienate Ayton like he did to Crowder, can you imagine the backlash if he did? I mean he did to some degree after the 21-22 season by stating he didn't speak to him. But just go through some rookie Ayton clips and Ayton is a totally different player than we see him now.

I voted that we see what Ayton can do with another coach as much I have learned to that i should be expected to be disappointed from Ayton.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its weird he can't take anyone off the dribble these days BUT if you look at his rookie highlights, he does show some skill at attacking and doing something other than jump shooting.

I'm more and more on the side that Monty just messes with some players. And he couldn't afford to alienate Ayton like he did to Crowder, can you imagine the backlash if he did? I mean he did to some degree after the 21-22 season by stating he didn't speak to him. But just go through some rookie Ayton clips and Ayton is a totally different player than we see him now.

I voted that we see what Ayton can do with another coach as much I have learned to that i should be expected to be disappointed from Ayton.
If you try and compare him to guys that can dribble and go down hill he isn't even close. Guys like Giannis, Joker and Embiid just have the ability to put the ball down and go to the basket. That is the polar opposite of Ayton. Unless he is getting spoon fed at the rim or putting up those short jump shots he is extremely limited at this level. Even when Ayton tries to bring the ball down he often gets stripped. That's why the idea of him playing against faster Power Forwards seems like a pipe dream to me.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you try and compare him to guys that can dribble and go down hill he isn't even close. Guys like Giannis, Joker and Embiid just have the ability to put the ball down and go to the basket. That is the polar opposite of Ayton. Unless he is getting spoon fed at the rim or putting up those short jump shots he is extremely limited at this level. Even when Ayton tries to being the ball down he often gets stripped. That's why the idea of him playing against faster Power Fowards seems like a pipe dream to me.

Yeah i agree. All i was saying that when he was a rookie he did attack the basket, usually with 1 or 2 dribbles though.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn shame we're not only asset strapped but our window is so small because if Portland does have interest in Ayton, swinging a deal for #3 and Scoot would set the Suns up with their PG of the Future. Portland doesn't need him, so makes no sense for them to take him although this might cause them to be more willing to move Simons. Who knows. Ayton for the #3 and Nurkic doesn't seem fair, although if we had a pick to throw in then it even outs. Main reason Nurkic is included is they wouldn't need him and get off his salary.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kevin Young played Stix at his natural position, center, and he excelled at it.

However, Monty kept putting Stix in the corner, asking him to shoot 3-pointers, which was asking for failure.

It wasn't rocket science. As it turns out, the Suns could have used a center.
The fact that Stix was ever on this team when we could have pushed for Haliburton boggles the mind.
I guess it's for the best Monty would have had Hali riding the bench or playing center.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Damn shame we're not only asset strapped but our window is so small because if Portland does have interest in Ayton, swinging a deal for #3 and Scoot would set the Suns up with their PG of the Future. Portland doesn't need him, so makes no sense for them to take him although this might cause them to be more willing to move Simons. Who knows. Ayton for the #3 and Nurkic doesn't seem fair, although if we had a pick to throw in then it even outs. Main reason Nurkic is included is they wouldn't need him and get off his salary.
Maybe it nets us dame and nurkic instead.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hope so. Maybe the rest of the league will see how Bridges went off after leaving Phoenix and think they might have something similar with Dominayton.
I'm not ready to put that on Monte, Booker sucks a lot of the air out of the room.(with good reason)
Mikal didn't really have that in NY and may have been the first option on most plays. And he was pissed for being traded, he may fall back to earth next season.

I was worried about KD and Book both needing the ball but it seems to be working with both scoring in the 30s through a good bit of the playoffs. Not perfect but promising.

Now it's on Ishbia to work some black magic and pay the price to fill out the team.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I believe Mikal will return to the suns except he hails from the east, so maybe not

on another thought did suckin weed speed the decline of both KD and Ayton, maybe?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe it nets us dame and nurkic instead.

That isn't happening. There is no possible way we could get Dame given the lack of assets we have. They're not taking CP3's corpse and Ayton for him. The only reason they have interest in Ayton is because of Dame so them switching spots is unlikely on it's own.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I believe Mikal will return to the suns except he hails from the east, so maybe not

on another thought did suckin weed speed the decline of both KD and Ayton, maybe?
lol last week it was "doing weed" and this week it's "suckin weed"

Yall know marijuana is a medicine right? And that alcohol and pain pills are the real poisons in the NBA, right?

Me thinks marijuana has a bad rap here on ASFN

It literally helps with everything - but the stereotypes our American government (and the beer companies) (and big pharma) has painstakingly imposed for generations still seem to hold their intentionally misleading lingering effects on this site

but anyways

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol last week it was "doing weed" and this week it's "suckin weed"

Yall know marijuana is a medicine right? And that alcohol and pain pills are the real poisons in the NBA, right?

Me thinks marijuana has a bad rap here on ASFN

It literally helps with everything - but the stereotypes our American government (and the beer companies) (and big pharma) has painstakingly imposed for generations still seem to hold their intentionally misleading lingering effects on this site

but anyways
Marijuana used to be a very effective medicine but can you really say that about most of what's sold today? For many decades, in order to provide a greater high, much of the medicinal value has been bred out of marijuana plants. For example, in just the last 25 years the THC to CBD ratio has grown by more than 500%.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Marijuana used to be a very effective medicine but can you really say that about most of what's sold today? For many decades, in order to provide a greater high, much of the medicinal value has been bred out of marijuana plants. For example, in just the last 25 years the THC to CBD ratio has grown by more than 500%.
There are also strains grown to produce more CBD (if that's what you're into) and way less THC so...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That isn't happening. There is no possible way we could get Dame given the lack of assets we have. They're not taking CP3's corpse and Ayton for him. The only reason they have interest in Ayton is because of Dame so them switching spots is unlikely on it's own.
That would be a steal IMO if we could get that to happen. Agree.....not happening. I can't see why Portland would do this and Dame has shows an unusual amount of loyalty to Portland.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are also strains grown to produce more CBD (if that's what you're into) and way less THC so...
Correct. And that is medicine. But is that really what you were talking about when you compared it to alcohol? Personally, I think the whole unmodified plant has the most value, especially with pre-60's levels of CBD, THC and the other cannabinoids and terpenes that were present in the plant before getting high became such big money.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Correct. And that is medicine. But is that really what you were talking about when you compared it to alcohol? Personally, I think the whole unmodified plant has the most value, especially with pre-60's levels of CBD, THC and the other cannabinoids and terpenes that were present in the plant before getting high became such big money.
THC is also a non addictive - appetite inducing - pain relieving - anxiety reducing - etc - beauty all in itself

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s a long shot. But if they have scoot coming in they are really heavy in the backcourt with their youth movement. If they’re finally of the mindset to go young bc they just aren’t competing maybe it’s the blazers that decide to finally move off dame instead of dame demanding to be moved. If that’s the case perhaps they’re really looking for a young big to pair with scoot, Simmons, little and reddish. They might have a difficult time finding a better match than Ayton. It’s a pipedream, I know. But the logic is there for it to happen.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It’s a long shot. But if they have scoot coming in they are really heavy in the backcourt with their youth movement. If they’re finally of the mindset to go young bc they just aren’t competing maybe it’s the blazers that decide to finally move off dame instead of dame demanding to be moved. If that’s the case perhaps they’re really looking for a young big to pair with scoot, Simmons, little and reddish. They might have a difficult time finding a better match than Ayton. It’s a pipedream, I know. But the logic is there for it to happen.

They can also save a lot of money if they take Paul with Ayton for Lillard and another contract. However, I think they want picks, and the Suns have none.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson