The Ayton Plan

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's time for someone to open an 'offseason discussion' thread, but for Ayton, he must go and I believe there are teams out there that'd value him more than we do. He sets good picks and really need a great-passing PG to be more effective. Pacers, Dallas, Altanta are all maybes.

I think it's best to let some steam off here, discuss the off-season a little more rationally tomorrow.

I agree that Ayton has to go though. The minute it was announced he was out for a bruise, that sealed his future here IMO.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Maybe, but the problem could have more to do with how he's being utilized than just how many shots he's getting.
He 100% was misused in Phoenix. That’s not even a debatable topic. Monty never invested in expanding Ayton’s offensive repertoire and somehow, shrunk his game more than it has ever been in his entire basketball career.

But that’s not the point. The point is that Ayton’s attitude has soured on fans and teammates that it would take way too much of a reclamation project to repair that image. I could see a situation in which Ayton comes out and averages 25/12 with a new coach and then has one 13/8 clunker and the house of cards will come crumbling down. Ayton will have that kind of patience from people elsewhere, but no longer in Phoenix

TJ

Reaction score
I think it's best to let some steam off here, discuss the off-season a little more rationally tomorrow.

I agree that Ayton has to go though. The minute it was announced he was out for a bruise, that sealed his future here IMO.

His future was sealed a while ago.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is sad, I was reading ESPN+'s off-season guide and the Suns can't do a sign & trade for Irving without hardcapping the team. So maybe that's off the table. Probably for the best because I was slowly talking myself into being ok with that trade.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is sad, I was reading ESPN+'s off-season guide and the Suns can't do a sign & trade for Irving without hardcapping the team. So maybe that's off the table. Probably for the best because I was slowly talking myself into being ok with that trade.

You must be registered for see images attach

Roughly $163m for 6 players including CP3’s full cap hit. If the Suns were to trade DA for Kyrie via S&T at the same or near AAV they’d still be under the apron. However the MLE woukd put them over locking them up into 24-25’. That’s not taking into account either trading or cutting CP3 to get further under the apron. Essentially we have one more to shuffle things up before we’re hardcapped.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Roughly $163m for 6 players including CP3’s full cap hit. If the Suns were to trade DA for Kyrie via S&T at the same or near AAV they’d still be under the apron. However the MLE woukd put them over locking them up into 24-25’. That’s not taking into account either trading or cutting CP3 to get further under the apron. Essentially we have one more to shuffle things up before we’re hardcapped.

Kyrie eh...?

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I remember taking a lot of heat for calling Ayton a weak player. I'm glad that a lot more people are on board of dumping him.
Look for a repeat in the Fall with Kyler - 2 epic fails of #1 overall picks. I was also given heat for pointing out the obvious of this check cashing fraud. Kyler is just as bad

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
He 100% was misused in Phoenix. That’s not even a debatable topic. Monty never invested in expanding Ayton’s offensive repertoire and somehow, shrunk his game more than it has ever been in his entire basketball career.

But that’s not the point. The point is that Ayton’s attitude has soured on fans and teammates that it would take way too much of a reclamation project to repair that image. I could see a situation in which Ayton comes out and averages 25/12 with a new coach and then has one 13/8 clunker and the house of cards will come crumbling down. Ayton will have that kind of patience from people elsewhere, but no longer in Phoenix
misused how? incredibly soft and dumb, how do you use that?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Ayton is officially on the trade block. Suns are going to, "aggressively pursue trade options". Thank goodness.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, the fact that Ayton "would be excited about a fresh start with another franchise." is proof positive Ayton quit on this team. He didn't want to be here. It would explain why Ayton constantly showed no freaking heart on the court.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
By the way, the fact that Ayton "would be excited about a fresh start with another franchise." is proof positive Ayton quit on this team. He didn't want to be here. It would explain why Ayton constantly showed no freaking heart on the court.
He's best suited as a stat padder on a lottery team. I'll be excited to see the Big Pu$$ leave.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's best suited as a stat padder on a lottery team. I'll be excited to see the Big Pu$$ leave.
The Suns shouldn't take one bit of feedback from the Ayton camp (meaning where he wants to go). The Suns absolutely must maximize his value. With the Apron looming it's going to be one of the only opportunities to tweak the roster.

TJ

Reaction score

Do you blame him for not wanting to be here? If the Gambo report is true and that Monty has soured on him starting in 2021, the absolute worst thing the team couldve done was keep him here against his will.

I dont think Ayton was 100% emotionally invested in the team this season, but given everything that has gone on around him the past two seasons, it's understandable.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you blame him for not wanting to be here? If the Gambo report is true and that Monty has soured on him starting in 2021, the absolute worst thing the team couldve done was keep him here against his will.

I dont think Ayton was 100% emotionally invested in the team this season, but given everything that has gone on around him the past two seasons, it's understandable.
I don't think Ayton has ever been consistently engaged, is a low IQ basketball player and would rather not face accountability for his own play. Also, look at his "DominAyton" comments and other comments that show he has no selfawareness. None of that is on Monty.

TJ

Reaction score
I don't think Ayton has ever been consistently engaged, is a low IQ basketball player and would rather not face accountability for his own play. Also, look at his "DominAyton" comments and other comments that show he has no selfawareness. None of that is on Monty.
I agree about the self-awareness part as he needs to hold himself accountable. However, while he's not a savant, he's not stupid as you're implying. He is very sharp with defensive assignments. That's not a low IQ trait. And yes, no less than 50% of that is on Monty. As a coach, his job is to...well....coach.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

This new CBA doesn't start until the new NBA Calander. July 1st, 2023.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Well Ayton will soon be gone and it's a shame Ayton missed that opportunity to excel & didn't come close to reaching his potential here. Us & everybody jumped on Ayton. Even Tom Chambers who averaged 6.1 rebounds as a Suns forward and recently said Ayton needs to rebound better. Well DeAndre Ayton averaged 10.5 rebounds as a career Sun and Chambers averaged 6.1 rebounds. Ayton has taking a lot of criticism and a some deserved & some not so much. I think Ayton easy going personality & immaturity played a part in his lack of development.

I'm not taking up for Ayton but for 4 years (not counting this year with a few games next to Durant) Ayton was anchored on a front line next to a razor thin 6-6 forward Bridges and a sock footed 6'4 3/4" Jae Crowder who is listed at 6'6" in shoes. Both never helped him with rebounding as they had their own roles. Defense for the thin Bridges and 3 & D for Crowder. Ayton never has decent power forward playing next to him. The best and that was short term was with Durant for few games. And Durant not a power forward really. Ayton didn't stop a barreling into him Giannis in that Final playoff 2 year ago or a push and shove Jokic this year. But who was his back up or front line teammates?

Monty was horrible coach for Ayton. Like Bridges & Cam it may be that Ayton flourishes in another city and then maybe not. We will find out soon however.. Setting high picks on offense and defending guards at the top of the key on defense aren't Ayton only talent. Ayton not complete polished NBA player by any stretch. He came with in with limited years of basketball experience which the Suns knew. Suns should stick with players well seasoned since they don't want to help develop young talent.
There will be some smart general manager is going to take a chance on Ayton knowing the Suns didn't use Ayton correctly or spent the time in his development as he's not a completed polished player. Change of scenery needed for Ayton & the Suns. Just hope it doesn't get toxic and the transition can be completed civil so Suns can get maximize good return and Ayton can happily move on as they say there will be some interest in the former #1 NBA pick. Hey it just didn't work here. And the Suns got the short end of the stick as Ayton was paid well. But things can be worked out professionally & Ayton can get his new home and Suns get some decent players in return. Portland maybe? Lakers? Boston? See ya Ayton. Go Suns

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose