Free Agency

Reaction score
But people on here are just bitter and irrational darksiders.
But getting mad about not understanding or seeing their plan is rational? Especially when it's very early in the new season with a new GM & coach. If we were a week or so away from training camp & this was our roster & ambiguous plan I would be upset too.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don’t think that signing anyone significant before the draft makes sense. Not this year at least.
There won't be significant additions to make after the draft, really. Not that we're looking for the top FA signings. I think the chance to sign a long-term young FA talent or two has passed us by because of our extreme passivity.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
TBH: my expectations were low going into FA

i figured the Cards would lose one of Allen or Murphy

i didnt plan on any big names, but i did think they would sign a quality starting center and a B level defensive lineman

suffice it to say, I am underwhelmed

I wonder if Ian Cunningham for GM and other HC candidates turned the team down because Mike told them he needed to cut costs this offseason

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
What is your definition of “significant” tho?
I dunno, 3M per year? 4? 5? Anything above that. Can’t do it with a potential haul coming in the draft of the right offers are there. I don’t think I would do much differently than they have except I would have tried to keep Allen. Not sure it would have made any difference. I don’t think the tea leaves said we had a shot at signing him unless we overpaid, which would have been… odd, for a team in a rebuild.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I dunno, 3M per year? 4? 5? Anything above that. Can’t do it with a potential haul coming in the draft of the right offers are there. I don’t think I would do much differently than they have except I would have tried to keep Allen. Not sure it would have made any difference. I don’t think the tea leaves said we had a shot at signing him unless we overpaid, which would have been… odd, for a team in a rebuild.
So a league-average starter. Beachum-type.

Kk. I get that. I don’t anticipate a “haul” through the draft unless we make the terrible error of not drafting Will Anderson. I’d we trade a quarter for two dimes in the second round, you’re unlikely to get a legit starter anyway.

The argument I suppose is you maximize your flexibility to draft for need and fill in roster holes with $3m FAs after the draft. Works if you’re more interested in trying to sus out your roster and blood your rookie class than winning games.

Real Dave McGinnis energy.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
But getting mad about not understanding or seeing their plan is rational? Especially when it's very early in the new season with a new GM & coach. If we were a week or so away from training camp & this was our roster & ambiguous plan I would be upset too.
Well, Football outsiders gave their plan a c- in terms on coherency. A bad plan is a bad plan. I don’t need to wait until training camp to identify that.

Stout

Reaction score
TBH: my expectations were low going into FA

i figured the Cards would lose one of Allen or Murphy

i didnt plan on any big names, but i did think they would sign a quality starting center and a B level defensive lineman

suffice it to say, I am underwhelmed

I wonder if Ian Cunningham for GM and other HC candidates turned the team down because Mike told them he needed to cut costs this offseason
I have no doubt this is the case. It's what makes the most sense, sadly.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coherent plan: Last
Improved roster: 3rd
Overall: Tied for last

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

But people on here are just bitter and irrational darksiders.

How is the opinion of some dudes that writes for FO validation? One of whom is a Seattle guy.

The coherent plan seems to be purely based on "Have these guys added a load of good players or not?" and absolutely nothing to do with an actual coherent long term plan to correct years of bad roster management.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I have no doubt this is the case. It's what makes the most sense, sadly.
it wouldnt be the first time someone has hired a management team and told them the first 12 months are going to be lean... and then pay them accordingly

if Monti's POV is you build via the draft, or at least build a young core for a year or two before you add to it via FA -- that plan proabably didnt bother him.

Gannon is young and cocky enough to believe that he could deal with it, and if Mike gave him a true 5 year deal, there is some comfort in that-- especially knowing that Mike wouldnt want to pay him AND Kliff AND a new HC all at the same time

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
it wouldnt be the first time someone has hired a management team and told them the first 12 months are going to be lean... and then pay them accordingly

if Monti's POV is you build via the draft, or at least build a young core for a year or two before you add to it via FA -- that plan proabably didnt bother him.

Gannon is young and cocky enough to believe that he could deal with it, and if Mike gave him a true 5 year deal, there is some comfort in that-- especially knowing that Mike wouldnt want to pay him AND Kliff AND a new HC all at the same time
I agree with this take. Also, given that Gannon has put an emphasis on teaching, it makes sense to go young and then plug holes later. Plus, as you said Gannon is a bit cocky, so I'm sure he's up to the challenge to see what he can do with a stripped down roster. It wouldn't shock or surprise me at all if he coaches them to 7-8 wins next year and greatly exceeds the expectations of the media and fans.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I agree with this take. Also, given that Gannon has put an emphasis on teaching, it makes sense to go young and then plug holes later. Plus, as you said Gannon is a bit cocky, so I'm sure he's up to the challenge to see what he can do with a stripped down roster. It wouldn't shock or surprise me at all if he coaches them to 7-8 wins next year and greatly exceeds the expectations of the media and fans.
The counter argument is that there is a reason the NFL is not a teaching league.

The two reasons I am most "down" on the idea that Gannon might coach to win 7-8 games next year.

1 - The most experience and competency of the coaching staff is on the defensive side of the ball. That said, the gap between the talent Philly had last year on defense and what the Cardinals are going to have this year, is enormous.

2 - The most talent on the team still resides on the offense however, the coaching staff leaves a lot to be desired in terms of track record and experience. Maybe the staff works out long term but it is highly likely there is a steep learning curve upcoming.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
FWIW for my money you make some very valid points, particularly since the quality of the coaching and position coaches really has been low tier over the years, nice to see what appears to a group of non-retreads leading the charge.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Well, Football outsiders gave their plan a c- in terms on coherency. A bad plan is a bad plan. I don’t need to wait until training camp to identify that.

I'd like to know how anybody knows what the Cardinals plan is. Nobody in the Cards front office has communicated their team plans to the public, which isn't unusual for NFL teams. So how does anybody place a grade on any team's plans? This is some high level speculation based on a team's initial moves in free agency. Who knows the real plan is or what circumstances might have effected said plans.

Stout

Reaction score
I'd like to know how anybody knows what the Cardinals plan is. Nobody in the Cards front office has communicated their team plans to the public, which isn't unusual for NFL teams. So how does anybody place a grade on any team's plans? This is some high level speculation based on a team's initial moves in free agency. Who knows the real plan is or what circumstances might have effected said plans.
It's more like what we know their plan isn't and can draw conclusions from that. Pretty clear that 1st, 2nd, 10th wave of FA is not in their plans beyond signing mostly nothing burgers to fill out the roster. We signed one or two role players to 2-year deals that are likely only 1-year deals. We let our young talent walk, for whatever reason and whether or not anyone did or didn't want them re-signed. We can extrapolate that they're going draft heavy this year for sure, and probably for two years. You don't fix a terrible roster with two drafts and a sole FA period (next season), especially not a Bidwill team. My guess is they're targeting 2025 to be contending.