Rapoport: Cardinals trading out of #3 very very likely

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This EXACTLY proves my point. SF made the move, thinking that he was the answer and their franchise player. It shows that in this scenario, Dolphins made the right move for their franchise.
Wrong. It's a false equivalency, because if the Dolphins stay put they don't have to select Trey Lance. Wrong all the way around.

This is a bad one, DCR.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The same Simeon Rice who a part of the Tampa Bay Super Bowl team. Yes, Super Bowl level talent excites me.

This is incredibly weak.

His whole argument is that drafting a great player to a bad team is pointless and your counter is "Well he won the super bowl when he got to a great team"?

That only enforces his point.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
These are the types of questions that need to be considered when considering trading down. It isn't or shouldn't be cut and dry for a team with as many holes as the Cards.
Is it really, though? Say that we trade down and get a bevy of B+ players this year. We'll still need a playmaker on the defensive side of the ball, by being more competitive we've made the ability to acquire such a talent more difficult.

You get Wil Anderson this year with the understanding that you're unlikely to be drafting this high again for quite some time. You can fill out the roster with guys picked in the late teens and 20s over the next few years, plus similarly-compensated mid-level veteran free agents.

Otherwise you're hoping someone wants to cut bait on a Chandler Jones after his third season. It happens, but not often.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont see Anderson as Bosa/Micah level dominant in the NFL.

I think he's the safest bet to get a really good player for a decade though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It could have easily been Sewell or Chase for a non QB team.
There are going to be great examples for and against either side. That's what makes this one a particularly juicy debate. It breaks down like this for me. Do you want:

A: A shot at a truly elite pass rusher

or

B: A shot at a few lesser but still 1st-round graded talents with the hope that they all pan out and maybe, juuuust maybe, one of them is a truly elite player

I could be biased in listing my options :)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And I think both views are reasonable. But when you start your viewpoint with "imagine..." your sarcasm shines through, leading me to believe you think he cant do it. Im willing to let him try, though in reality, Id rather take Anderson at 3. I just dont harbor the same amount of disbelief as you, if the opposite scenario plays out.
The "imagine" comment critique is fair.

I am not willing to let Monti try. Plenty of other times you can play around that isn't passing on the best player in this entire draft.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it really, though?
Yes.
Say that we trade down and get a bevy of B+ players this year. We'll still need a playmaker on the defensive side of the ball, by being more competitive we've made the ability to acquire such a talent more difficult.
We need playmakers on both sides of the ball. Especially on both lines.
You get Wil Anderson this year with the understanding that you're unlikely to be drafting this high again for quite some time. You can fill out the roster with guys picked in the late teens and 20s over the next few years, plus similarly-compensated mid-level veteran free agents.

Otherwise you're hoping someone wants to cut bait on a Chandler Jones after his third season. It happens, but not often.

A lot of this may be moot.

What percentage of us think that Anderson will be around at 3 anyway? I think it is less than 50% with the Jalen Carter news.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes.

We need playmakers on both sides of the ball. Especially on both lines.

A lot of this may be moot.

What percentage of us think that Anderson will be around at 3 anyway? I think it is less than 50% with the Jalen Carter news.
100%. The Bears aren't staying at 1 and Houston is taking a QB. And Houston isn't going to give a equitable compensation to move up one spot to take a sub 6'0 QB

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong. It's a false equivalency, because if the Dolphins stay put they don't have to select Trey Lance. Wrong all the way around.

This is a bad one, DCR.
It isn't. Swap out Trey Lance and use Micah Parsons in Chopper's example.

Are the Dolphins better with Micah, or the combination of Jaylen Waddle, Tyreek Hill, Bradley Chubb and Channing Tindall?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houston is taking a QB, there is no way he goes 2.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Houston takes a QB. There are lot of people out there that think there isn't a truly great QB in this draft class at all.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is trading from 3 to 7 or 9 or 12 passing on an elite player?

There will still be some elite players at those spots.

There have been awesome players at those spots in recent drafts.

Parsons, Surtain, Wirfs, Slater, etc

This year has great top end depth.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Houston takes a QB. There are lot of people out there that think there isn't a truly great QB in this draft class at all.

It doesn't matter. It's the most important position in the league, most of the teams that are drafting in the top 10 are there because they have nothing at the QB position.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is trading from 3 to 7 or 9 or 12 passing on an elite player?

There will still be some elite players at those spots.

There have been awesome players at those spots in recent drafts.

Parsons, Surtain, Wirfs, Slater, etc

This year has great top end depth.
It all depends on your perception of Will Anderson.

IMO, he is a flat out, blue chip prospect. You don't pass up on that. If it was Carter there, I'd listen to offers, I don't think Carter carries the same potential.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. It's the most important position in the league, most of the teams that are drafting in the top 10 are there because they have nothing at the QB position.
And yet, there wasn't a QB drafted last year until pick 20. Every draft is different.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet, there wasn't a QB drafted last year until pick 20. Every draft is different.

Yeah, and in this year's draft the top of it is loaded with teams who have nothing at QB.

I would bet my life savings that Houston drafts a QB at 2. The ONLY way they don't is if some other team blows them away with a trade offer and then THAT team takes a QB at #2.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It all depends on your perception of Will Anderson.

IMO, he is a flat out, blue chip prospect. You don't pass up on that. If it was Carter there, I'd listen to offers, I don't think Carter carries the same potential.

I agree but it's better to have three 8's or a 9 and a couple of 7's than one 10 right?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
My ideal draft would be:
early R1- top CB, Gonzalez, Porter, Witherspoon
mid R1 to top R2 - top IOL, Skoronski, Torrence
high R2 - DT, Jalen Carter (charges never filed)
mid R2 to top R3 - OL, Schmitz, Mauch, Avila
top R3 & R4 - RB, WR, Edge per availability

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been in favor of trading back and taking Wilson, Skoronski, or Paris Johnson.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose