Durant to Suns

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Suns definitely became a bigger destination for those soon to be in the buyout market.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Durant, I would believe there will be free agents who will want to play for the Suns.
Well, they are going to be of dubious quality, and old.

I would like to see suns somehow get another PG and Power forward today - but considering our trade assets it's not likely.

Reaction score
Woj is reporting that the Suns tried everything to not include Bridges. The Suns didn’t want to give him up. However, the Nets made it clear that there was no deal without Bridges.

The Nets coveted Bridges as one of the best young players in the NBA.

Bridges was the main piece of the trade for them.
Hate to be the turd in the punchbowl but this is horrible. Bridges was playing at an all-star level, one of the best defenders in the league, and was improving BY THE GAME. Johnson had not gotten back from the injury, but a year ago was one of the best 6thmen anywhere.
There is no evidence Durant by himself can carry a team. Even with Westbrook and Hardin they lost in OK City; he won with the Warriors only because of an all-star studded team

And the draft picks? Mark me down as this is a horrible, horrible trade.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I have more faith a Vance Joseph defense can keep a team out of the end zone on 4th and goal, from the 1 yard line, than I do thinking these Suns players can stay healthy and win a championship.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To tell you how far this is from the Shaq trade

Durant this season is 29.7 PPG, 6.7 rpb, 5.3 apg with an effective fg% of 60.7% and a per of 26.5

That is historic efficiency.

Oh and defense

Defensive Win Shares 1.7 for Durant compared to 2.2 for Mikal and his all NBA defense. Durant is a good defender as well.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would have loved to have been the 3rd wheel in UTA / MIN deal and get Beasley, Vanderbilt & D Lo or Paul but I think Paul & Booker were the appeal of PHX to KD. Maybe D-Lo takes less money this offseason to reunite with Booker and MIN to be our backcourt of the future. Screwing LAL unloading Russ would have been a huge bonus.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Suns are going to be must watch TV now. Absolutely unbelievable. As BA used to say -- no risk it, no biscuit.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is an apocalyptic trade for the Suns. May have given up a bit too much, but if we win just a single championship, then it's worth it.

1) Mikal Bridges was a no-brainer for the Nets. He is easily the centerpiece on that side of the trade.
2) Cam Johnson is the one that hurts the most for me, and while there was a good chance that he would have signed a team-friendly contract, the contract stuff had some questions.
3) Most people are hating the draft compensation, but if healthy, this team's draft picks are going to be late first rounders. When you have a GM that either doesn't like drafting or simply isn't that good at it, those picks have further deprecating value.

People are upset, but hey, you won't be seeing Mikal's shimmy after making 3 pointers anymore.

The main thing you HAVE to understand is just how good Keven Durant is.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m not worried about the picks. If this works out the picks won’t be that good.
If this doesn’t work out the suns can trade Booker for a bunch of picks.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo also said Suns had zero interest in Collins - but apparently that was our backup plan.

His sources are no longer in the building is what I am thinking.
So he lost his sources in the Suns and Cardinals.

No more breaking stories 30 seconds before everybody else

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is an apocalyptic trade for the Suns. May have given up a bit too much, but if we win just a single championship, then it's worth it.

1) Mikal Bridges was a no-brainer for the Nets. He is easily the centerpiece on that side of the trade.
2) Cam Johnson is the one that hurts the most for me, and while there was a good chance that he would have signed a team-friendly contract, the contract stuff had some questions.
3) Most people are hating the draft compensation, but if healthy, this team's draft picks are going to be late first rounders. When you have a GM that either doesn't like drafting or simply isn't that good at it, those picks have further deprecating value.

People are upset, but hey, you won't be seeing Mikal's shimmy after making 3 pointers anymore.

The main thing you HAVE to understand is just how good Keven Durant is.
You are a lot more optimistic than me thinking that 2027 and 2029 picks are going to be late first rounders

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
In 4 years, Durant and Irving played in just 74 games together. Anyone thinking Durant, Booker, CP3 can stay healthy for a title run is delusional.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's 4 and 6 years away! Are you really getting depressed about those two picks??
Mostly depressed about losing Mikal, but yes - I think this team is going to suck in 3 or 4 years

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Him, or Cam…and I think only 2 of the picks should have been unprotected, not all of them.
Our GM isn't a great drafter and doesn't really believe in drafting because he doesn't want the team to be in a rebuild situation. That philosophy means going forward ANY pick won't be high. At worst, we're talking late lottery beyond 2 or 3 years.

I think it's extremely shortsighted to think that after KD/CP3's contracts are up, we won't have ANYTHING. That's nuts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson