Week 4 Arizona Cardinals off season thread. 1/30/23-2/5/23

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Go find it. You spend the time showing us how crappy Kyler Murray is, go find all the ridiculous things this Org has done over the years. Ill start. We used to make our players pay for their gatorade. Now you do it.

Lots of teams made players pay for their food and drink back in the day.

But this was a great example, thanks, because this was BILL Bidwill that made players pay and Mike stopped it.

Even the Yahoo article on this says,

"Now here he was, 77 years old, and finally in the Super Bowl. The reason isn't Bill Bidwill but his son, Michael, who took over most day-to-day operations a few years ago and made the place operate like an actual NFL franchise for once."

So have a massive chefs kiss for proving my point.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Arizona Cardinals have the longest championship drought in the NFL, with their last title coming in 1947 as the Chicago Cardinals. That should be all you need to know. I could give you dozens and dozens of examples, but it might takes months to get it all down on paper & I’m not sure it’s worth the trouble.

Has Mike Bidwill been owner all that time?

Were talking specifically what Mike has done. He can't be held accountable for the lost list of crap his his Dad made this Org suffer.

Plus the whole "We suck as a franchise because we haven't won one since 1947" is a huge ball of crap. There are 11 other franchises that have never won one at all and 4 that have never been to a Superbowl. We just happen to have been around long enough to have one one before our Grandpa's were born.

If anyone thinks people look at the Cards as a lesser org because they last won a title in 1947 I'm not sure what to tell you.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They have long been known to be cheap (Dollar Bill Bidwill), from how they treated the players and coaches, to contracts, etc.

Yes, and all that changed when Mike took over. Which is why I'm talking specifically about Mike. Not things that happened close to 20 years ago. Which I'm absolutely confident nobody in NFL circles is holding against the Cardinals.

"So, Sean, would you like to come coach the Cardinals?"

"Well, I would, but Bill didn't pay for Gatorade 20 years ago so I'm out".

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lots of teams made players pay for their food and drink back in the day.

But this was a great example, thanks, because this was BILL Bidwill that made players pay and Mike stopped it.

Even the Yahoo article on this says,

"Now here he was, 77 years old, and finally in the Super Bowl. The reason isn't Bill Bidwill but his son, Michael, who took over most day-to-day operations a few years ago and made the place operate like an actual NFL franchise for once."

So have a massive chefs kiss for proving my point.
Feisty.

Dude. Your talking with LONG TIME fans. LONG EFFIN TIME. Weve been watching this clown car roll at 35 in the fast lane for a long ass time. You dont get to decide our franchise's status around the league, by stating that we are viewed as top notch now that Michaels in charge. You just dont. Argue otherwise, as Im sure you will, but youre wrong.

Youve been here a couple of years. Have a lot of great points, argue well, and are decisive in your viewpoints. All great character traits. That last sentence was beneath you, but whatever.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Feisty.

Dude. Your talking with LONG TIME fans. LONG EFFIN TIME. Weve been watching this clown car roll at 35 in the fast lane for a long ass time. You dont get to decide our franchise's status around the league, by stating that we are viewed as top notch now that Michaels in charge. You just dont. Argue otherwise, as Im sure you will, but youre wrong.

Youve been here a couple of years. Have a lot of great points, argue well, and are decisive in your viewpoints. All great character traits. That last sentence was beneath you, but whatever.

My point is simple.

Fans have to stop tarring Mike with the Bill brush. Apart from it being completely pointless I don't believe it's fair.

Its like being angry at your wife for your exes issues.

I understand Bill was pure garbage, and Mike isn't perfect, but he's streets above Bill and really a completely average owner in regards to how involved he is.

I don't believe at all that potential coaches are saying they don't want to be here because of Bill sucked 17 years ago.

The only people still clinging to that are fans.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My point is simple.

Fans have to stop tarring Mike with the Bill brush. Apart from it being completely pointless I don't believe it's fair.

Its like being angry at your wife for your exes issues.

I understand Bill was pure garbage, and Mike isn't perfect, but he's streets above Bill and really a completely average owner in regards to how involved he is.

I don't believe at all that potential coaches are saying they don't want to be here because of Bill sucked 17 years ago.

The only people still clinging to that are fans.
I can get behind that. I think we're closer to agreement than you think. But I think MB, who at one point I believed was going to be so wildly different from his father that he'd finally get us there, is actually closer to a shelf turd than a whale.

I do love your metaphors...I tired a beer one for you there...

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Okay, I got most of you guys beat with my fan cred, since I've been following the Cardinals since my dad took me to my first football game in St. Louis at age 10 in 1963.

Yea, Dollar Bill Bidwill was a piece of work. He was somewhat misunderstood; but nevertheless, a cheap, incompetent owner, who was hated in St. Louis.

Michael's a different story. You can't say that he's cheap and he's been pretty middling in terms of wins and losses. In the 16 years that he's been in control of the team they've had 6 losing seasons and made the playoffs 5 different times. Not great, but not bottom of the barrel by any means.

I give the guy credit for finally dumping Keim and getting rid of Kingsbury despite the exorbitant cost. He never should have given those two the long term contracts in the first place, but at least he's recognized his mistake.

I'd like to think that Ossenfort, Sears and hopefully the new coaching staff will bring in a new day in Cardinal football. You're a Cardinal fan...all you can do is hope.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Has Mike Bidwill been owner all that time?

Were talking specifically what Mike has done. He can't be held accountable for the lost list of crap his his Dad made this Org suffer.

Plus the whole "We suck as a franchise because we haven't won one since 1947" is a huge ball of crap. There are 11 other franchises that have never won one at all and 4 that have never been to a Superbowl. We just happen to have been around long enough to have one one before our Grandpa's were born.

If anyone thinks people look at the Cards as a lesser org because they last won a title in 1947 I'm not sure what to tell you.
Bill Bidwill was a very poor owner, and unfortunately, Michael although better, is still a meddling owner like his father was. And that alone, makes him a below average owner. Michael really, really wants to win, but contrary to what some people say, so did Bill Bidwill. Both relied on an inner circle of loyal employees, and both stuck to the Cardinal way. And both were victims to the old saying "if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. Bill never learned to go outside to reverse fortunes, but hoping that Michael has & the hiring of MO is a start to building a franchise that can learn to win consistently. The Cardinals are not a team that people look down at. Bill was a good man, as is Michael. The problem is that they're not looked at at all. They've become almost non-existent, or irrelevant. And to me, that may be worse than being looked down on, hated, or despised.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Pat's perspective...

"More times than not, we are pointed in a predictable, straightforward, and seemingly positive direction...occasionally we are pointed down a different path entirely." - Pat Tillman

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yet nobody has named one yet...
They have pointed out many, yet you are so blind to everything but your opinion you refuse to acknowledge them. Opinions aren't facts.

Nobody has named one? One was just named in another thread. I tagged you on it. 5-year extensions to Keim and Kliff and the extension of Kyler. Our fearless owner is willing to throw money at problems and is so grossly incompetent as to waste that money.

But nobody has named one yet. Not one! Go ahead and defend THOSE garbage can moves. Eat THAT bag, dude.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Bill Sr: a bottom 5 NFL owner. Maybe bottom 3. There is no question on this. Dont know if the financial constraints were a cause or a result of his bad management.

Mike: probably in the 12-24 tier of owners. Its the "not terrible, but not great either". They produce interesting teams every 5 years or so -- mostly as a result of the NFL's policies to produce parity.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe “F***ery” isn’t the right word.

I suspect that potential coaches are skeptical of ownership because for decades the Cardinals have been a conservative family business that compared unfavorably to the Rooneys and Maras, for example.

Bill may have earned the “cheap” reputation more than Michael, but Michael has his own record of being conservative with internal promotions. And some notable times when he has opened the wallet have been desperate extensions or bad signings. Not just Kyler and Kliff but things like Kolb’s contract after trading DRC and a pick for him. (Personally I really hoped that would work out but of course we lost out on Peyton the next season and then Kolb lost his job to Skelton.) Every franchise makes mistakes but perhaps ours are more prominent against comparably fewer successes.

So yes, Michael is better than Bill but he has not completely turned around that legacy. It’s too easy to just say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, but likewise I don’t agree with the ex vs. wife analogy made earlier, because your wife is generally not your ex’s daughter who inherited your ex’s business.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i get the frustrations with Cardinal ownership --

but the Texans got their number one HC choice --

the same Texans run by Cal McNair -- a nut, who hired and fired two one year coaches in a row, and who had Game of Thrones like FO drama the last three years

Ill agree that Mike isnt a top notch owner, but i have a hard time believing he is so uniquely bad that he is having a hard time finding a coach

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Is Brit really asking for examples of negligent ownership decisions by the Bidwill family?

How’s this one - actively employing, supporting, and even giving a sizable contract extension to a known substance abuser even after he got an extreme DUI?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Is Brit really asking for examples of negligent ownership decisions by the Bidwill family?

How’s this one - actively employing, supporting, and even giving a sizable contract extension to a known substance abuser even after he got an extreme DUI?
Yeah. Keim’s long-term employment, firing Wilks after one season with extremely low chances for success, and hiring Kliff are all examples of really low-quality management.

Add in that Michael himself is a meddling rube who wants your and your assistants’ time every Monday to explain playcalls, and it’s pretty easy to see why this job wouldn’t appeal to candidates who have other options.

People confuse “candidates who have other options” with “all candidates.”

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm glad he came out and said it

We all saw it
I think this is why we are down to the 2 remaining guys, so far (unless BFlo is still in the picture). While they don't have HC experience, you can see that Kafka and Anarumo are all about the details and preparation. Kafka dialed back Jones and was able to keep his weaknesses reigned in all season, while Anarumo is known to be a defensive tactician with an ability to adjust from week to week and during a game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose