Aaron Glenn as head coach?

Feelings about Aaron Glenn as head coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
His success hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years. As of now, he is the ultimate average guy that won't get you the losing records, but will barely get you winning records and might squeak you into the playoffs. He's kind of become Jeff Fisher. He has a much higher profile nationally than in Pittsburgh. The guy just brought Canada back as OC for crying out loud. That would've been the coordinator version of us bringing back Kliffy--or of us retaining VJ as DC.

He's not a bad coach, nowadays, but he's not a great one either. Just bang average.
I'd argue he has been dealing with personnel issues. OL and declining Roethlisberger.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
When asked about McCoy being a hot head coaching candidate, Denver head coach John Fox responded, "he’s a heck-of-a coach."
yeah you didnt understand that video at all
”Football is a show-me game. I’m tired of talking. Let our film talk for us.”.
Lions Coach Rod Marinelli

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm neutral, because to me, he's the candidate who it really depends on the staff he hires. I wouldn't hire him because of his defensive background, but if he can be a 10,000 foot view leader, he might be ok. The team would need a good-great DC, who has complete control of that side of the ball, IMO.
:thumbup:

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
For every failed coach, there are impressive interviews and glowing recommendations before they failed. Don’t know why these videos are blowing people away.

Like I said, this is where we’re at with this coaching search.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For every failed coach, there are impressive interviews and glowing recommendations before they failed. Don’t know why these videos are blowing people away.

Like I said, this is where we’re at with this coaching search.
Yeah… I think a lot of the he board sees the writing on the wall and are preemptively trying to find reasons to like what’s going to be an incredibly underwhelming hire, possibly with a guy who’s defense has been incredibly underwhelming itself.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Glenn is one of those candidates that I base my opinion of the hire on how much I like the guy. What tangible evidence do we have that he would make a good HC other than his appearances on hard knocks, and his performance on the field? Detroit's defense was abysmal for much of the year, but if given the right staff, right players, and support from Monti, he could easily be a Siriani or a Dabol. And I DO like him personally.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It’s amazing to think that Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim interviewed Kliff and Dan Campbell and decided that Kliff Kingsbury was the guy ready to lead an NFL team.

What a couple of dunces.
Probably for the same reason you've never heard Harbaugh mentioned with the Cards, even with the chance to stick it to the SF/Seattle front offices.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah… I think a lot of the he board sees the writing on the wall and are preemptively trying to find reasons to like what’s going to be an incredibly underwhelming hire, possibly with a guy who’s defense has been incredibly underwhelming itself.
Reminds me of the Dave McGinnis hire. I won't be fooled like that again.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His success hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years. As of now, he is the ultimate average guy that won't get you the losing records, but will barely get you winning records and might squeak you into the playoffs. He's kind of become Jeff Fisher. He has a much higher profile nationally than in Pittsburgh. The guy just brought Canada back as OC for crying out loud. That would've been the coordinator version of us bringing back Kliffy--or of us retaining VJ as DC.

He's not a bad coach, nowadays, but he's not a great one either. Just bang average.
How have things worked out for the Cardinals over those 6 years? I get what you are saying and that you are from that area so you are closer to the fan base so not criticizing your thoughts. Just wonder if Cards fans wouldn’t be fairly happy with his results

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is tough to care significantly about any of our options at this point. It is what it is.
To each his own, I guess. I would be excited with Brian Flores or Brian Callahan, and to an extent with Lou Anarumo. I don't think at all that the interesting candidates have been taken, and I also think it is more important to get it right than get it fast.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
How have things worked out for the Cardinals over those 6 years? I get what you are saying and that you are from that area so you are closer to the fan base so not criticizing your thoughts. Just wonder if Cards fans wouldn’t be fairly happy with his results
It would be a big improvement for us, sure. It just seems, around these parts, that's the ceiling nowadays. Tomlin seems content with the "standard being the standard" at around .500 and without a losing season, without pushing hard for more. Never wants to hire any assistants that are up and comers either.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I would be ready to move if we went 12 seasons with only making it to the conference title game at least once. Had some real talented teams in there as well. Winning in the playoffs is hard, sure, but at some point you expect more.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glenn is a excellent motivational speaker but that doesn't make a good NFL coach. Here are his actual results:

Johnny Venerable

In Aaron Glenn's two seasons as the Detroit Lions' DC, the team has ranked in the bottom five in both points and yards allowed per game. That's not everything but it's not nothing.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Glenn is a excellent motivational speaker but that doesn't make a good NFL coach. Here are his actual results:

Johnny Venerable

In Aaron Glenn's two seasons as the Detroit Lions' DC, the team has ranked in the bottom five in both points and yards allowed per game. That's not everything but it's not nothing.
Mike Vrabel only had one year as DC with Houston. Wanna guess where the Texans defense ranked in 2017?

Ok, I'll just tell you....

32 or DEAD LAST

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Vrabel only had one year as DC with Houston. Wanna guess where the Texans defense ranked in 2017?

Ok, I'll just tell you....

32 or DEAD LAST
interesting that you just totally left out that during his three seasons as linebackers coach before the one year as DC, the Texans ranked third in the NFL in yards allowed per game. Oh, and that 2017 defense was RIDDLED with injuries to Watt and others? Or that Vrabel was a multi-time Super Bowl champion and leader of great defenses, playing under the best coach in the league for the majority of his career.

Crazy that you'd leave out his entire career and focus on one season to make whatever inane point you're trying to make as a preemptive strike to defend the Cardinals from making yet another baffling hire.

now, since you've made the intrinsic comparison between Glenn and Vrabel, can you tell us if Glenn has ANYTHING positive in his playing or coaching career that resembles anything CLOSE to Vrabel's background?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This 100% correct. You nailed it!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
interesting that you just totally left out that during his three seasons as linebackers coach before the one year as DC, the Texans ranked third in the NFL in yards allowed per game. Oh, and that 2017 defense was RIDDLED with injuries to Watt and others? Or that Vrabel was a multi-time Super Bowl champion and leader of great defenses, playing under the best coach in the league for the majority of his career.

Crazy that you'd leave out his entire career and focus on one season to make whatever inane point you're trying to make as a preemptive strike to defend the Cardinals from making yet another baffling hire.

now, since you've made the intrinsic comparison between Glenn and Vrabel, can you tell us if Glenn has ANYTHING positive in his playing or coaching career that resembles anything CLOSE to Vrabel's background?
Crazy you bring up someone's entire career, when the comment I replied to was just focusing on the current position...but...

Since you asked nicely...

Aaron Glenn: Consensus All-American in 1993, ProBowl 1997, 1998, 2002, 1st Team All Pro 2002, Defensive Backs Coach for Saints 2016-2020 (Passing Defense Ranks: 2016 - 31st, 2017 - 15, 2018 - 29, 2019 - 20, 2020 - 5).

If you want me to investigate New Orleans and their injuries for 2018, I'm happy to do it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose